Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

More Rainbird DV issues

We have been replacing many DV solenoids, and especially the o-rings, this spring. I had to replace one faulty solenoid, 6 leaking orings around the solenoids yesterday, on a 19 zone system. System is less than 2 years old. I've probably replaced 20+ o-rings this spring, and now I have 20+ solenoids with no orings as our suppliers have none from Rainbird. Looks like I will be changing to Hunter or the Irritrol 2400 or 205 for valve replacements, and only stocking the DV for repairs. I'm seeing a lot of RB failures lately, and getting tired of it - issues with new 5004 rotors, and ESP issues. I hope a rep reads this and can get these issues worked on. the solenoid/oring issue has been an ongoing problem, and many people are not happy about it.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What are the 5004 rotor issues?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get used to it, cause it appears that quality made products are a thing of the past. Corporations are looking for (and taking advantage of) every opportunity to bend the consumer over. Sad to see Rainbird hop on the band wagon. Always like Irritrol/Richdel valves ..... rock solid performers, but as above, IMO quality has declined over the years, just not as fast as other companies. Griswold still makes a rock solid dependable valve though.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
What are the 5004 rotor issues?
Not rotating right out of the box. Excessive leaking at the wiper seals. Granted, I am seeing more PGPs with leaking seals than 5004s, and the PGPs are also not retracting.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive had a few 5000's that didnt rotate, both as new and after a year or two. I still prefer it over other choices but yes its irritating as heck. I also never bring them back to supplier or check the date code--just toss em and replace.

I also have a few dv solenoids without orings and no one seems to carry just the oring locally. Replaced one yesterday but it was split. I thought I had saved a link to buy them online but cant seem to find it at the moment.

Last edited by Tom Tom; 05-17-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad about the non-rotating 5004's - I thought Rainbird had gotten past that - by any chance are they failing more often on the smaller nozzle sizes? (a feature of the PGP stopped-turning group)

If you did go to Irritrol valves, the 2500TF would make a good choice. You get the advantage of the 2400-type diaphragm assembly in a body with a bonnet held on with cover screws along with a flow control that needs no screwdriver to adjust.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll second the 2500TF. Has been a dependable valve in my region, not sure how it will handle freezing climates over time though.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only real cold-weather issue with Irritrol valves have been the solenoids, and that goes back to a design change by Hardie which has been dealt with by way of the newest Irritrol solenoid redesign.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Ive had a few 5000's that didnt rotate, both as new and after a year or two. I still prefer it over other choices but yes its irritating as heck. I also never bring them back to supplier or check the date code--just toss em and replace.

I also have a few dv solenoids without orings and no one seems to carry just the oring locally. Replaced one yesterday but it was split. I thought I had saved a link to buy them online but cant seem to find it at the moment.
http://www.reedsirrigation.com/index.html

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2014, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey DanaMac,

I hear those HV valves are real good.
Maybe Mr. Wolfarth will pipe in with some info since he is the Principal Product Manager at Rain Bird.He is full good information