Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
Get to know your Rain Bird rep. What area are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
cjohn2000,
Now that I am on my computer and not my phone, I see you are from Tacoma, WA. If you send me your name and contact info, I will have the sales rep. in that area contact you. rwolfarth@rainbird.com

Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HV Issues

Quote:
I guess I don't check in often enough.
The HV has some great features:
4 captive, multi-drive screws that twist out in half the time;
Patented eccentric diaphragm design that hinges close for softer closing and less water hammer and a captured diaphragm spring for no lost parts in the mud or tall grass;
New solenoid design with a smaller thread that makes it easier to twist out by hand with the need for a handle and optimized design to minimize the copper and make it much less costly;
Stronger glass-filled polypropylene body (not on SXS) with a thin walled design and ribs added to gain strength back which allow shorter cycle time in the molding machine and significantly lower cost;
Lower list price - my shopping tells me that HV is $1 - $2 lower at the distributor counter than Hunter or Irritrol;
It passes ALL the same tests as the DV valve and has a 3 year warranty.
You should try it.
Ron,
I'm not a huge user, but I have been using the HV valves , and I have had several, (last install, 50%) failure rate.
They come on, and stay on, randomly (same valve) sometimes you can smack it (highly technical "fix") and it will start working. I've worked with them, change solenoid, but it don't seem to help until I change the whole top.
Don't know that I've ever had that problem with the DV's.
Just looking at one now. mfg. code 21AP14A
Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Get to know your Rain Bird rep. What area are you in?
Posted via Mobile Device
I haven't seen a Rain Bird rep here in So Cal since about 2004 or 2005.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Ron,
I'm not a huge user, but I have been using the HV valves , and I have had several, (last install, 50%) failure rate.
They come on, and stay on, randomly (same valve) sometimes you can smack it (highly technical "fix") and it will start working. I've worked with them, change solenoid, but it don't seem to help until I change the whole top.
And again, I have to ask..... a 100-HVF nets out somewhere around $12. A 1" PGA nets out somewhere around $13. So, A) What is the point of even selling the HV, and B) Why would Rain Bird even feel the need to make a valve that competes with the rest of their product line? and C) As an installer, is that $1 to $2 per valve cost savings over installing a better valve a make or break kind of thing on a project?
Old 07-20-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

selenoids

The dv valves are awful. I stock some for replacement but would never put one in a new install. Use the irritrol 2400's. I have had a few problems with r/b 5004's not turning right out of the box. maybe 2 out of the 500 i have replaced. The one's I had to replace were all Hunters. (Imagine that, exaggerating some). If you are looking for work by hoping for call backs in a year and a half by all means use Hunters. The irritrol 2400 has been good for me and my standard. I use practically all r/b for everything else but am getting tired of r/b price increases.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
I use practically all r/b for everything else but am getting tired of r/b price increases.
You mean the increases that eventually came well AFTER they lowered their prices while everybody else raised theirs? I'm not complaining. I made plenty of extra margin when they lowered their prices.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think the 2400 is the best valve for the price. i've installed a lot of them and had almost no problems with them.

that said, i use PGV's. they work just as fine and i get the hunter points. the only thing i don't like is the solenoid relief port on the diaphragm. its very easy to get that think mis-installed when you are servicing the valve. then it doesn't work electrically, but works if you open the bleeder, or twist the solenoid to the point where the chamber relieves to atmosphere. its thrown my service techs for a loop a few times.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

HV Valve Solenoid issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Ron,
Dirt Boy,
I am sorry we have caused you these issues with the HV valve.

We had reports from others of this same issue. I put the product on hold a few days later on May 23 once we came to believe that this was not an isolated incident. We have since discovered the issue, resolved it and are in the process of sending replacement solenoids to those who have had issues.
Contact your Rain Bird Sales Representative or the distributor from whom you purchased the valves. They will be able to help you once we send them replacement solenoids.

We released the product to production on June 30 after understanding the problem, making changes to ensure it won't happen again and thoroughly testing the solution.

I see you are from the Midwest territory. We will ship replacement solenoids to those distributors the week of July 30. (Add a couple days of shipping time.) We will be done sending replacement solenoids worldwide (this is a popular valve outside the US) by mid-August and will be caught up on orders for new product by the end of August.

We discovered that we had received parts from one of our vendors with one dimension in a hole in a piece of metal that was at the high end of the specification and occasionally beyond the specification limit. (The hole was 0.002 inches too large. Copy paper is 0.004 inches thick.) This combined with a small change in our assembly process caused the failure. The plunger (the metal part that moves up and down inside the solenoid) sometimes becomes stuck in a recess in the bottom of the bobbin (the plastic spool around which the wire is wound to make the coil) that is created by the two causes I mentioned above. When the plunger is stuck in the bottom of the bobbin, the valve will stay on when the electricity is turned off.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Sales Representative visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
I haven't seen a Rain Bird rep here in So Cal since about 2004 or 2005.
If you would like to have a visit from one of our sales representatives, send to me your contact information and I will pass it along. rwolfarth@rainbird.com

Old 07-20-2014, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

DV Valve Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
The dv valves are awful. I stock some for replacement but would never put one in a new install. Use the irritrol 2400's. I have had a few problems with r/b 5004's not turning right out of the box. maybe 2 out of the 500 i have replaced. The one's I had to replace were all Hunters. (Imagine that, exaggerating some). If you are looking for work by hoping for call backs in a year and a half by all means use Hunters. The irritrol 2400 has been good for me and my standard. I use practically all r/b for everything else but am getting tired of r/b price increases.
The best way for customers to make a contribution to the improvement of products is to return them to distributors or sales people. I find that most contractors throw the product away and switch product. I understand that. You make no money helping us with our issues. That leaves us with nothing to examine and only anecdotal evidence to use in our improvement efforts. Please consider sending some units back on what we call a "Product Reliability Report." This causes an engineer to examine each unit sent back, report their findings and causes me to to pass along the findings to our sales people, distributors and (if you give us your contact information) you. Send back the entire unit so we can replicate the failure in the test lab and determine the root cause. (Many times the failure is in a part that was not returned or in the interface between the part returned and the part left behind.)
I hope you are able to do this. Every manufacturer would like this sort of help.