Register free!

Old 07-20-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Date Range of affected units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wolfarth View Post
Dirt Boy,
I am sorry we have caused you these issues with the HV valve.

We had reports from others of this same issue. I put the product on hold a few days later on May 23 once we came to believe that this was not an isolated incident. We have since discovered the issue, resolved it and are in the process of sending replacement solenoids to those who have had issues.
Contact your Rain Bird Sales Representative or the distributor from whom you purchased the valves. They will be able to help you once we send them replacement solenoids.

We released the product to production on June 30 after understanding the problem, making changes to ensure it won't happen again and thoroughly testing the solution.

I see you are from the Midwest territory. We will ship replacement solenoids to those distributors the week of July 30. (Add a couple days of shipping time.) We will be done sending replacement solenoids worldwide (this is a popular valve outside the US) by mid-August and will be caught up on orders for new product by the end of August.

We discovered that we had received parts from one of our vendors with one dimension in a hole in a piece of metal that was at the high end of the specification and occasionally beyond the specification limit. (The hole was 0.002 inches too large. Copy paper is 0.004 inches thick.) This combined with a small change in our assembly process caused the failure. The plunger (the metal part that moves up and down inside the solenoid) sometimes becomes stuck in a recess in the bottom of the bobbin (the plastic spool around which the wire is wound to make the coil) that is created by the two causes I mentioned above. When the plunger is stuck in the bottom of the bobbin, the valve will stay on when the electricity is turned off.
I failed to give the date range of the affected solenoids. Affected solenoids range from March 1, 2014 - May 23, 2014.

Ron Wolfarth - Principal Product Manager - Rain Bird Corporation
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The more I read about zone valve problems, the more I appreciate what Del Merriner created over forty years ago.

Last edited by Wet_Boots; 07-20-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
The more I read about zone valve problems, the more I appreciate what Del Merriner created over forty years ago.
And what's that? Educate us new-timers...
Old 07-21-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Delbert Merriner is the "del" in Richdel, who brought us the longest-running show in the industry, the R204 valve, still being sold today as the Irritrol 205
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Are my posts valuable?

I am looking for some feedback. Are my posts useful/helpful or should I be less active?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I am looking for some feedback. Are my posts useful/helpful or should I be less active?
I find them to be useful, and informative. You've stepped up and told us there were issues and why. As long as you aren't shoving RB products in our face all the time, I have no problem with it. I'd appreciate more informative posts about products like this. I don't know, maybe the mods can make a sub-category for actual products and questions about the products that the reps can answer.

**EDITED - they already have a sponsor related section. Maybe something in there.
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally am interested in the details of why products don't always work as designed.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Supplying DOM info is very helpful, by the way. I only wish I could get that for all products I use that develop issues.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The bonnet on the DV (not the DVF) was changed to nylon which retains its shape more consistently in the molding process.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm curious, does the DVF bonnet require a longer cycling time? (at which point, deformation might cease to be an issue)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have a great answer to your question, but I will comment none the less.
I am not familiar with all the cycle times of our parts. I bet the cycle time on the DVF bonnet is longer due to the thicker sections around the flow control. We speculate that the geometry of the flow control features make the DVF solenoid bowl less susceptible to distortion. Remember, this is the root problem we were addressing with the material change on the DV. We were not seeing the distortion of the solenoid bowl on DVF in our lab or in the field.
I will talk to our tooling engineer to better understand this situation and if I learn something, I will share it.