Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

36" WB brands

Right now I use a 61" Ferris IS3100z,a 44" Toro proline belt drive and a simple 21" push mower. The 44" is a bit clumsy on the small lawns and the 21" too small.I have been wanting a 36" WB for some time now since I am planning on downsizing to just the walkbehind on a 2wd pickup truck.I do not mean to call them off brands but how are the gravely's and Bobcat mowers ? My Toro has the T bar which seems good.On the pistol grip mowers,do you have to hold the levers or is that just for turning ? I have a couple of side hills that I have to fight with the big belt drive,is the hydro better in that situation ? Also would a dealer let you demo a 36" mower ?
Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
Right now I use a 61" Ferris IS3100z,a 44" Toro proline belt drive and a simple 21" push mower. The 44" is a bit clumsy on the small lawns and the 21" too small.I have been wanting a 36" WB for some time now since I am planning on downsizing to just the walkbehind on a 2wd pickup truck.I do not mean to call them off brands but how are the gravely's and Bobcat mowers ? My Toro has the T bar which seems good.On the pistol grip mowers,do you have to hold the levers or is that just for turning ? I have a couple of side hills that I have to fight with the big belt drive,is the hydro better in that situation ? Also would a dealer let you demo a 36" mower ?
for mowing difficult terrain i think pistol grips are way better than tbars. Hydro will always be better on a variety of terrain as well.

depends on your dealer, some dealers will let you demo anything, some dealers don't want to deal with it. you may need to actually call the regional reps if your dealer gives you any problems with it, most of them will bend over backwards.

Scag and exmark make really good 36" mowers. Bobcat is good too, their new walk behinds look awesome.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

You release the levers on a pistol grip to go forward, squeeze partially to turn, and squeeze all the way to reverse.

Hydros work much better on hills than belt-drives, in my experience.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For small residential, I just picked up a Gravely 34" WB. Goes through all gates, cuts well, couldn't have asked for more.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
I ran toro T-bar 44s for years and years.

I don't know you and have need seen you run a mower BUT, in my experience you are not going to get ANYthing out of a 36" pistol grip you can't already do with a t-bar 44" except less production, less cut quality and fitting through tighter gates.

With the t bar you need to learn to pull back on the handle (not the t portion) in the direction you want to turn, git to get the feel for the neutral swivel/spin. IF you aren't doing that, then yea, the tbar can be clumsy.

if your down sizing, drag all your stuff into your closest ferris dealer, trade your toro and ferris for a new ferris FW35 (with the 48" deck)
it's the cats meow for hydro walk behinds.
there is, wasn't, and probably never will be, a better hydro walk behind made.

how much really small and tight do you actually have?
or is simply you have a hard time maneuvering your toro and think a smaller deck size is what you need?
because the feathery maneuverability of the FW35 will make a 61 deck feel nimble.

My suggestion is a new FW35 (48") and a new 21" (probably a honda commercial)

on trade you will probably get $800 for your proline and $4000 for your IS.
which you put toward a new FW35 which will probably cost you 72-7800, and anew honda commercial for 1000.
8800-4800…I'm guessing you will need 4 grand out of pocket for new mowers.
well worth it tho…and depending on the age/condition of your rider you might get more trade in.
See about demoing the FW35 before down sizing all the way to a 36.
If it's not for you ferris has the DD36 which has 90% of the features the FW35 does.

Edit: just realized Ferris has a 21" commercial, never used it before… but they have one.. darn hard to find on their website.

Last edited by TPendagast; 05-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just buy a used 36'' hydro WB for $1500 and go on about your business. Do NOT trade in the Z, please. You'll be kicking yourself for that move later on down the road.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Just buy a used 36'' hydro WB for $1500 and go on about your business. Do NOT trade in the Z, please. You'll be kicking yourself for that move later on down the road.
He might not actually be using the Z or see a future need of that.

dépends on the customer base he services.

that's kinda why I suggested sticking with a 48, because he can do quite a few medium lawns with the 48 hydro (so that intermediate unit replaces both the 44 and the 61, ally he while giving the maneuverability of what he hopes to get out of a 36)
plus it will do hills better than anything else he has or will look at.
leaving him with a 21" for when he absolutely must use it.

a simple velke on the 48 will help him do 1 or to large yards if needed.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
He might not actually be using the Z or see a future need of that.

dépends on the customer base he services.

that's kinda why I suggested sticking with a 48, because he can do quite a few medium lawns with the 48 hydro (so that intermediate unit replaces both the 44 and the 61, ally he while giving the maneuverability of what he hopes to get out of a 36)
plus it will do hills better than anything else he has or will look at.
leaving him with a 21" for when he absolutely must use it.

a simple velke on the 48 will help him do 1 or to large yards if needed.
Sell the Toro Tbar. Buy a 48 WB (used or new) for the hilly properties and smaller residentials. Keep the Z. I think that's best.

Unless he has a monthly payment we don't know about on that Z that is strapping him....

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Sell the Toro Tbar. Buy a 48 WB (used or new) for the hilly properties and smaller residentials. Keep the Z. I think that's best.

Unless he has a monthly payment we don't know about on that Z that is strapping him....

Im assuming what he means by down sizing is that he's not using it anywhere productive (sure you can squeeze it on smaller places, but its not saving substantial time…he already thinks a 44 T bar is not maneuverable a 60 Z would be tougher to manage)

so in that case is sits and sits, it's a depreciable asset, the longer he has it, the less it's worth. so he might as well liquidate it and put the toward something he is going to get full use and production out of.

If he has one or two lawns where he might get decent use out of the Z… he can make due easily with a 48 hydro (my back for years was a 44 t bar and I hung in there with it, if the Z was down) especially if he gets a velke.

the tough thing is there aren't that many decent used hydros out there anymore, because not that many people buy them new, so there are less used ones.

if you are going to use ONE mower nearly all the time (rather than split your time up between 3) better get a really good one, thats why a new hydro 48 would be the ticket.

there aren't going to be many hydro 48s for sale for say $1500.00
but he might sell that T bar for $800.
Then he's got to find a used hydro and that might be $3-4000 if he finds it, ad if he does he's not going to have a wide selection of excellent ones he'll have to take what he can find.

so that's $2200-$3200 out of pocket, for something less than optimal, but in good shape, that he might not like very much?
yea… used doesn't sound like a good deal.

But then again…just a generic pistol grip hydro would be such an improvement over what he's struggling with with that T bar (if he thinks its cumbersome, he;s struggling… I loved them) that the generic no frills hydro might be frikken awesome to him?

(id still run right to a ferris dealer and get that FW35, holy grail right there!…that is if you are wanting to walk)
Old 05-18-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly, I didn't read all the post but figured I'd mention Ferris is the off brand here. Secondly, the pistol grips on a 36 will feel like you have more control over the mower than another setup out there. Lastly, pistol grips on a 36/34/32 machine can become knuckle busters. I have cut my hands on walls and fences a few times. On a 48 the deck is wide enough to where your knuckles are far enough away. On the smaller machines your hands are right at where the edge of the deck is. It happens mostly on hills where your hand will be tilted closer to the wall or fence. I could easily see one loosing a finger or needing stitches in bad situations if you're not always paying attention and being aware of your surroundings.