Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Im assuming what he means by down sizing is that he's not using it anywhere productive (sure you can squeeze it on smaller places, but its not saving substantial time…he already thinks a 44 T bar is not maneuverable a 60 Z would be tougher to manage)

so in that case is sits and sits, it's a depreciable asset, the longer he has it, the less it's worth. so he might as well liquidate it and put the toward something he is going to get full use and production out of.

If he has one or two lawns where he might get decent use out of the Z… he can make due easily with a 48 hydro (my back for years was a 44 t bar and I hung in there with it, if the Z was down) especially if he gets a velke.

the tough thing is there aren't that many decent used hydros out there anymore, because not that many people buy them new, so there are less used ones.

if you are going to use ONE mower nearly all the time (rather than split your time up between 3) better get a really good one, thats why a new hydro 48 would be the ticket.

there aren't going to be many hydro 48s for sale for say $1500.00
but he might sell that T bar for $800.
Then he's got to find a used hydro and that might be $3-4000 if he finds it, ad if he does he's not going to have a wide selection of excellent ones he'll have to take what he can find.

so that's $2200-$3200 out of pocket, for something less than optimal, but in good shape, that he might not like very much?
yea… used doesn't sound like a good deal.

But then again…just a generic pistol grip hydro would be such an improvement over what he's struggling with with that T bar (if he thinks its cumbersome, he;s struggling… I loved them) that the generic no frills hydro might be frikken awesome to him?

(id still run right to a ferris dealer and get that FW35, holy grail right there!…that is if you are wanting to walk)
You're fudging numbers to support your argument. This is something you do quite often.

To the OP. Just buy a used one and move on. Sell the 44 to help pay for it. Hell, you could probably just trade.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 61" Scag Wildcat and just bought the Scag 36" belt drive with floating deck ($2900 new). That 36 is an AMAZING machine. I think I might use it more than the 61" on my lawns. I haven't needed any other size mower yet. Both seem to cover my needs pretty well. So far that 36 is great!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well here is the rest of my story.I am a part-timer ready to retire from my regular job but need something for a couple days (no more) for my mad money.I need my IS Ferris for my lawn which is 4 acres.I have smaller areas around the pool and house that I bag to keep the clippings up.The Ferris is too big here and my small push is too small since I bag it all around here.My 44" Toro just seems clumsy with the side bagger.
For the most part I have small lawns to mow that I do not really need the Ferris on but it does speed things up.I wanted to just run a 2wd pickup with a smaller mower so I did not need to drag my big trailer around my gas guzzling 2500 Chevy 4wd.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
Well here is the rest of my story.I am a part-timer ready to retire from my regular job but need something for a couple days (no more) for my mad money.I need my IS Ferris for my lawn which is 4 acres.I have smaller areas around the pool and house that I bag to keep the clippings up.The Ferris is too big here and my small push is too small since I bag it all around here.My 44" Toro just seems clumsy with the side bagger.
For the most part I have small lawns to mow that I do not really need the Ferris on but it does speed things up.I wanted to just run a 2wd pickup with a smaller mower so I did not need to drag my big trailer around my gas guzzling 2500 Chevy 4wd.
Get a stander and put on one of those bagger setups that go on top of the deck?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
He might not actually be using the Z or see a future need of that.

dépends on the customer base he services.

that's kinda why I suggested sticking with a 48, because he can do quite a few medium lawns with the 48 hydro (so that intermediate unit replaces both the 44 and the 61, ally he while giving the maneuverability of what he hopes to get out of a 36)
plus it will do hills better than anything else he has or will look at.
leaving him with a 21" for when he absolutely must use it.

a simple velke on the 48 will help him do 1 or to large yards if needed.
^^^^^ This is a excellent answer, look at your cliental. What do you have? Large yards, medium yards? Small yards? I ran a 36 on medium yards for awhile, until i got a 48 hydro (Scag SWZT great mower btw, low turf compaction, excellent on hills) A 48 walk behind with a velke can cut a decent amount of grass... With that said, just number up your accounts and think what you NEED to be the most effective, efficient machine, get all your money out of it wether its new or used...

Wish you luck!

6x12 Landscaping Trailer
Scag SFW 36
Scag SWZT 48
Honda HRX 217
Echo Handhelds etc...
17 years old
42 accounts
Love my job!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My game plan is to work on Tues & Wed,say 10am-2pm with maybe 10-12 lawns total in the $35-50 range so probably up to a 1/3 acre.Either way I will be replacing my 44" Toro with something smaller for my lawn so its not like spending the money won't be cost effective.
I guess I will see what dealers will let me demo.My ferris dealer did let me demo the the single hydro 32 which I thought was junk.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
You're fudging numbers to support your argument. This is something you do quite often.

To the OP. Just buy a used one and move on. Sell the 44 to help pay for it. Hell, you could probably just trade.

fudged numbers?

Where are you going to find a used T bar 44 selling for more than $800?

Where are you going to find a good quality used hydro for $1500?

Those aren't fudged numbers, those are market value.

Selling the Tbar for 800 and buying a decent used walk behind will get him someone else's used problem for thousands out of pocket.
My "argument" is that that's probably a bad idea, especially if he intends this to be his primary mower.

He doesn't want the rider anymore. he wants a good hydro walk behind.

If anything, Im arguing don't go all the way down to a 36", stay at 48"…if he brings his trade to a ferris dealer, they will want his used IS, and take the toro T bar from him just to seal the whole deal.

He gets rid of both machines he's looking to and picks up the best hydro walk behind he can buy, all in one fell swoop.
No fuss, no muss, no time taken out to sell machines privately and find and try out others.

the only thing I'm arguing is that he not drop to a 36"….Ferris has that too if he really wants it, in a DD36.

No fudged numbers needed there.

Put down the beer, pal. It's something you need to do more often.
Maybe your reading comprehension will improve in the process.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
My game plan is to work on Tues & Wed,say 10am-2pm with maybe 10-12 lawns total in the $35-50 range so probably up to a 1/3 acre.Either way I will be replacing my 44" Toro with something smaller for my lawn so its not like spending the money won't be cost effective.
I guess I will see what dealers will let me demo.My ferris dealer did let me demo the the single hydro 32 which I thought was junk.

if you didn't like the Tbar you will not like the hydrocut either.

Its a single hydro, so needs muscle around like the Tbar.
So don't even worry about not getting to demo it. You wouldn't like it.

so… that bagger making the machine wider is the issue?

I used to run Zs and T bar 44s (which i used for pool areas) before I bought a walker.

have you thought about trading BOTH in for a walker?

again maybe get 6800 worth of trade and have to spend 12500 (ish) out the door…so $5700 financed? (maybe)

a walker might do everything you want large area grass and tight in bagging.
Oh, but you were concerned about hills….walkers not the best on hills.

its so hard to have mowers that do everything, thats why I have a man crush on grasshopper.

do you have that many hills already? or are you concerned about picking up customers with hills?

I used to do 4 acres all the time with a 48"
with a 36" that would be rough.

did I read it right and you are only mowing the big lot with a ferris at your OWN house (so you're going to keep the rider to just mow your own?)

you need the walk behind for hills, you need to bag in pools…

I can't think of any other way to bag with a walk behind/stander other than the side bag. (those ones that go on front suck…. you can't see around them for anything)

so maybe that's it… 36 with side catcher….really the only option.

Like another poster said, scag makes an excellent 36.
Had one for years, buying another this week for $4500.

Jury is still out on the SWZT and hill duty, in my mind… I haven't tried it in that respect.
I don't think i would want a 36" SWZT…only in 48 or larger… but I could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I ran toro T-bar 44s for years and years.

I don't know you and have need seen you run a mower BUT, in my experience you are not going to get ANYthing out of a 36" pistol grip you can't already do with a t-bar 44" except less production, less cut quality and fitting through tighter gates.

With the t bar you need to learn to pull back on the handle (not the t portion) in the direction you want to turn, git to get the feel for the neutral swivel/spin. IF you aren't doing that, then yea, the tbar can be clumsy.

if your down sizing, drag all your stuff into your closest ferris dealer, trade your toro and ferris for a new ferris FW35 (with the 48" deck)
it's the cats meow for hydro walk behinds.
there is, wasn't, and probably never will be, a better hydro walk behind made.

how much really small and tight do you actually have?
or is simply you have a hard time maneuvering your toro and think a smaller deck size is what you need?
because the feathery maneuverability of the FW35 will make a 61 deck feel nimble.

My suggestion is a new FW35 (48") and a new 21" (probably a honda commercial)

on trade you will probably get $800 for your proline and $4000 for your IS.
which you put toward a new FW35 which will probably cost you 72-7800, and anew honda commercial for 1000.
8800-4800…I'm guessing you will need 4 grand out of pocket for new mowers.
well worth it tho…and depending on the age/condition of your rider you might get more trade in.
See about demoing the FW35 before down sizing all the way to a 36.
If it's not for you ferris has the DD36 which has 90% of the features the FW35 does.

Edit: just realized Ferris has a 21" commercial, never used it before… but they have one.. darn hard to find on their website.
Wait Ferris has a 21? Where is it, I do not see it on the site at all.
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T
Old 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
Wait Ferris has a 21? Where is it, I do not see it on the site at all.

That's a good question I cant find again now.

It was there, and I was like what the heck is that??

Yesterday I couldn't find walk behinds at all on their website, no DD no FW35, today they are back...I dunno what the heck is going on with their website.

But I did see the little guy in ferris colors sitting there, and now its not.