Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2003, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Expanding is not always a good thing. If you don't have enough business to justify it, you will loose money. I know several of the biggest companies in my area who run 4-5 crews and have talked to them about this. They tell me that there gross is much higher than mine due to the number of accounts but there net is not that much different. You have all the extra equipment, extra guys, gas, etc. I run 2 crews and don't want to expand anymore. Having more than 2 crews is more stress and not to mention it is hard to keep up with what everyone is doing also. I have higher end accounts and keep these by knowing my quality and what I mean is I can personally make sure that we are providing the best service possible. With 4-5 crews you loose that. I know there are some here that may be running more than 2 crews and I would like your experience with what I have stated. If you had to do it again, would you go this big. When I say running 4-5 crews I mean 2 riders at least per crew so your looking at 8-12 employees. I have 2 full time and 2 part time guys and myself. I know once you get this many accounts you can't back out but is it worth it? This is what I have found myself caomparing my business to 2 others I know.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the posts guys. I will have no problem purchasing new equipment. It just boils down to when/if i make that decision. You have all given great input and advice. I appreciate it. Keep the comments comming, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.