Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2003, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump Trailer Insurance problem

I am looking into at least a 6'x10'x16" #7000 dump trailer. I really would like to get one but the problem is that the empty weight is #2150. My insurance policy covers all trailer with empty weight of #2000 and less. I called them and asked for quote. They told me it will be an additional premium of $353 annually!

I feel that it is not worth it since I am only a small part time biz. I would probably make around $700-$1000 a year with the dump trailer. If I buy this additional premium, it would have pay for another dump trailer in 8-10 years!

Anyone have this similar problem? Do you know of a way to get around this problem? I thought about asking the dealer to take out the dump gate and fender, unnecessary stuff to help lighten the trailer before purchase. Then later after purchase I take it and put it on the trailer myself. Not sure if I can do that. Have you guys done this before? Any helpful suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For years I ran 6x12' 2995 # trailer, you just needed to notify your insurance company, but no need to pay additional premium. You have to pay that premium on even a dual axle landscape trailer that doesn't dump. The fact that it serves even more purpose makes it well worth that small additional premium. I will tell you thats a small price to pay, try insuring and registering a 10,000+ dump truck. Just a cost of doing business my friend. Charge a little more to justify a larger expense.

I would recommend having insurance on everything, little trailers and the equipment on it.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Banned

What are you planning to use the dump trailer for? I would say that if you really think that it's only going to generate an additional $700-1000 per year, then it might not be worth buying in the first place. Those things aren't cheap.

I would consider other options if it's going to see so little use.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I am saying that I could generate around $700-$1000 each year before expenses, like the insurance cost and registration. I would be using the dump trailer for towing top soil, gravel, mulch, leaves, brush, branches, firewood, etc. I don't plan on using it as much as full time fleet biz would do, but it give me the convience of doing the job faster and easier since I will have a full time job. I do not want to use my truck bed because it will have 2, maybe 3 toolboxes on it this spring, limiting space. I want dump trailer to make my job easier, in shorter time.

My current commercial vehicle policy cover all trailers (I only have one currently, a 6'x12' landscape trailer) with empty weight of #2000 and less. It is included in the standard policy without any additonal premium. If I get a trailer that weight over #2000, then I will need an additional premium which is $353 because the trailer is just #150 over their standard limit! I figured that since the cost of insurance continue to soar, if I were to spend that amount for like 8 years, that total amount would be enough to buy another dump trailer!

I know it will take a long time to pay off for the dump trailer itself, but I feel that I have a use for it for a very long time, every year. To me, it would be worth buying a dump trailer, but it is not worth buying it with additional insurance premium. I would like to find a way around this problem.

Last edited by wxmn6; 03-21-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no easy way around it. You either pay the premium or you don't. Sounds like you'd be better off just having supplies delivered if you will use it that little. My dump trailer has paid for itself over and over in the last year, but this is my full time job so I'm committed to it and pay the price to do it.

Taking parts off the trailer has nothing to do with the actual tagged weight of the unit. If you want to make money in this business you need to spend the money like the rest of us. There is no way to get around these costs but to cheat the system.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone for your input.

Randy, you are right. Either I pay the extra premium or don't buy the dump trailer. I was just trying to see if there is something else that I could get around that I did not know about.

However I could still get a dump trailer without paying the extra premium. I could try to look for a dealer somewhere else in the Northeast and see if they have one with empty weight of under #2000. Would be hard to find but I could try and see. Another alternative would be to go with a smaller dump trailer. My local dealer also sell 5'x8' dump trailer with either #6000 or #7000 capacity. I will be checking with them to see how much empty weight is. I figure that I'd be better off going with a smaller trailer and make extra trip(s) when necessary.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why don't you just get an ez dump for your pick up? I could never see the need for a dump trailer.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 03-21-2003, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Could you find a dump trailer that is within your "empty weight requirement". It may be a little smaller but it is better than nothing.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paponte
Why don't you just get an ez dump for your pick up? I could never see the need for a dump trailer.
Didn't I mentioned that I am going to put a couple of toolboxes in the bed of my truck? Also my truck bed is 6.5' with Rhino Linings. It is also my personal vehicle. So you get the idea. It was a good idea brought up by you but it won't work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nozzleman
Could you find a dump trailer that is within your "empty weight requirement". It may be a little smaller but it is better than nothing.
Yes, that is exactly what I am going to do. Hopefully someone will be at my local dealer tomorrow so I can check into it.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I called my local trailer dealer this morning and they said the smallest dump trailer they have weighs #2150. So I went on the website and made a few calls to other trailer dealers around the Northeast. Still couldn't find a tandem axle trailer that have empty weight of 2000 or less. So at this point I thought that the only option is to go with single axle dump trailer.

So this afternoon I decided to look through my insurance policy and see what it say about the trailer. I found out that the policy said that I am insured for trailers with load capacity of 2000 pounds or less. Looks like my insurance agent was wrong. My trailer have a capacity of 3500 pounds. The way it is written, it sounds like even if I am towing a total load of 2000 or less, I still am towing a trailer with a capacity of 3500 pounds. So that mean I would have to get the extra coverage anyway. So I guess I can get a dump trailer that I want.

Looks like I am going to buy a 6'x10' dump trailer with #7000 capacity with 16" wall. I could go with a 6'7"x10' with #10000 capacity but that would cost me extra $1300 and would require a hitch receiver upgrade. But like I said, I am doing small landscape biz so I think the #7000 unit will work well for me.

Thank you for your input.