Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 524
difference in comfort between SCAG tiger cat and turf tiger??

Hopefully someone that has owned both these machines can chime in........ I have owned several of the tiger cats with suspension seats and love them.... I have three of them now with 27 koehlers and 61 velocity........ We now a ton of pretty rough yards and I hate to say it but after 13 years of bouncing on zero turns I'm ready to leap for the most comfort..... I owned a cheetah for about 30 hours and traded it back for yet another tiger cat because the cheetah was the low powered kawasaki and it was very under powered........ I did like the seat setup but the rest of the mower.... Not so much............
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2014, 09:08 PM
baileylawnservice's Avatar
baileylawnservice baileylawnservice is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 511
I would go demo one. Most bigger dealers should have a turf tiger you could take use and abuse. I had A wildcat before my turf tiger. I think my turf tiger rides a bunch smoother but my wildcat did not have a suspension seat.
__________________
Bailey Lawn Service of Tulsa
61" turf tiger with kohler efi
36" scag v-ride
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 524
QUOTE=baileylawnservice;5043269]I would go demo one. Most bigger dealers should have a turf tiger you could take use and abuse. I had A wildcat before my turf tiger. I think my turf tiger rides a bunch smoother but my wildcat did not have a suspension seat.[/QUOTE]

I plan on doing just that..... I have a pretty good dealer...... I was just hoping that maybe Someone had upgraded from the tiger cat/cub to TT........
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 PM
ManuelMowing's Avatar
ManuelMowing ManuelMowing is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Blountville, TN
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Hopefully someone that has owned both these machines can chime in........ I have owned several of the tiger cats with suspension seats and love them.... I have three of them now with 27 koehlers and 61 velocity........ We now a ton of pretty rough yards and I hate to say it but after 13 years of bouncing on zero turns I'm ready to leap for the most comfort..... I owned a cheetah for about 30 hours and traded it back for yet another tiger cat because the cheetah was the low powered kawasaki and it was very under powered........ I did like the seat setup but the rest of the mower.... Not so much............
Posted via Mobile Device

The Tiger is the heavy duty commercial version of Scag. The Tiger Cat is made to be more compact but is built pretty tough. I owned a Tiger Cub which is the same as Tiger Cat, just a name change. The Cat will feel much smaller. It is like driving a jeep compared to a Suburban. If you have suspension seats on the Tiger you could almost fall asleep while driving.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 524
yeah I have the tiger cats with the suspension seats. I actually demoed the gravely 460 today........ Id take a tiger cat over the gravely any day of the week. Ill be giving a full review in a bit. Its a nice mower don't get me wrong. Its just a no brainer in my area of southern ohio with weedy grass.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:06 PM
MillsLawnService MillsLawnService is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madden, MS
Posts: 14
We have a tiger cat and two turf tigers. The tiger cat is more maneuverable but not as good of a ride as the turf tiger. The turf tiger seems to be built stronger than the tiger cat. IMO the tiger cat is made for 12 hours of cutting a week whereas the turf tiger can handle 12 hours a day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsLawnService View Post
We have a tiger cat and two turf tigers. The tiger cat is more maneuverable but not as good of a ride as the turf tiger. The turf tiger seems to be built stronger than the tiger cat. IMO the tiger cat is made for 12 hours of cutting a week whereas the turf tiger can handle 12 hours a day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Now buddy that's what I wanted to hear!!!!!!!! I remember back in the day my toro had to have warranty work done and they sent me out with there diesel turf tiger and that was by far and away the best riding mower id ever been on although I HATED the diesel engine. I always figured that mower rode so nicely because it was heavy as hell from the diesel. It was a 61 " tt.

Do you feel that for ever week cutting (I do have some hills I have to climb) that the efi Koehler 26.5 would be okay?? What engines are you running??

Thanks by the way!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM
MillsLawnService MillsLawnService is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madden, MS
Posts: 14
We run them with the 35 vanguards because we do a lot of foreclosure work that calls for the extra power. But with weekly yards I think the kohler would be sufficient, but might be underpowered with every other week growth.

The 35s are very impressive. They can knock down a few feet of growth with no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 PM
mowcrazy mowcrazy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgetown ohio
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillsLawnService View Post
We run them with the 35 vanguards because we do a lot of foreclosure work that calls for the extra power. But with weekly yards I think the kohler would be sufficient, but might be underpowered with every other week growth.

The 35s are very impressive. They can knock down a few feet of growth with no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
oh trust me Id love the briggs 35 but im all about the bottom dollar and according to my dealer the briggs uses right at a full gallon per hour more than the efi Koehler. I know this sounds crazy but according to my calculations of our mowing route which we log 35 hours (average week) on each one of our tiger (so 70 hours of mowing total). If I saved a gallon per hour by going efi Koehler as opposed to the 35 briggs were talking about 70 hours of mowing so 70 gallons per week savings multiplied by $3.89 average gass lately were talking about right at $275 savings per week to go with the Koehler over the briggs. remember this is just gallons per hour numbers my dealer gave me so im not sure how accurate they are but he was saying efi Koehler 1 to 1.1 per hour average and briggs 2 to 2.1 gallons per hour??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
MillsLawnService MillsLawnService is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madden, MS
Posts: 14
We do about 1.7 to 1.85 gph in normal weekly cutting because we don't run it at full throttle. But in heavy foreclose work it's closer to 2.3 gph. So yeah it averages out to around 2.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.08720 seconds with 7 queries