Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Dilemma

I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new Scag this weekend. But I can't decide between the 61" Turf Tiger or the 61" Cheetah. Both equipped with the 35HP Vanguard. They are priced within $100 dollars of each other so I'm having a hard time deciding.

Any words of wisdom from owners with experience with either machine??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

That 16mph would be calling my name.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the turf tiger. I feel like it built to last longer the the cheetah. There is a reason why the design has only minimally changed in the 16 years
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I haven't owned either, currently run a 61" Wildcat... But from what I've read, the Turf Tiger would "generally" be the best option... I hear its better on hills and holds its resale value a little better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2014, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just got the cheetah and have put 60+ hrs. on her this year. It is a fkn beast and is the most productive machine Ive ever operated and only getting better. Best mower out there by far!!!!!!!!! Holds any side hill and cuts soaking wet grass almost better than dry!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Such a good ride as well!!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

there is no dilemma , there is only scag.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Iv never owned or operated a Cheetah but thought about buying one at the first of this year but after talking to a local Scag rep I decided to go with the TT instead. I bought the 61 with the 35hp Vanguard and love it so far. It is a awsome machine! The two mowers that you are considering are very diffferent machines. I would talk to your local Scag dealer about each one and tell them what your needs are. They will help you choose the best mower that will fit your needs.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own both and love both. They are both absolutely amazing machines. I'll point out a few differences that may sway you one way or the other.

1. The Turf Tiger feels much more stable and solid. The Cheetah has a loose feel to it. Mainly because of the suspension system.

2. I love the massive fuel tanks on the Cheetah but I hate that I have to switch between tanks whereas the TT has one tank, no switching, but much less capacity. My TT 35 Briggs runs out of fuel by 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon.

3. The deck lock is much better on the TT. Occasionally on the Cheetah, you'll be mowing along, hit a bump, deck bounces and locks in the up position. Very aggravating. Never happens on the TT.

4. Much better visibility on the TT. Complete unobstructed view of the deck.

5. I love the drive system on the Cheetah. Extremely responsive. All my guys - almost to a man - prefer the drive system on the TT. The TT is more precise with less play in the steering. Again, they think the Cheetah has too much of a loose feeling. Cheetah is quicker to tear turf.

6. The TT with suspension seat is a decent ride but the Cheetah is much more comfortable. Cheetah feels like it mows faster but that could be because you don't feel the bumps as much.

7. Contrary to popular belief, these machines are equal on hillsides. They both excel. I don't know why everyone just assumes the TT is the better hillside machine but I can tell you from everyday experience that it simply isn't true. Anyone stating different just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with either. If you ask my guys who run them everyday, 5 guys will pick the Turf Tiger, 1 guy will pick the Cheetah. Even so, no one ever complains about having to run the Cheetah. If pressed, I think I would choose the Turf Tiger but it's a close call.

Also, I love the 35 Vanguard on my TT but I'd get the 34 EFI Kohler on the Cheetah if I were you. Hell, I'd get the 34 EFI Kohler on the TT if it were available.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
I just got the cheetah and have put 60+ hrs. on her this year. It is a fkn beast and is the most productive machine Ive ever operated and only getting better. Best mower out there by far!!!!!!!!! Holds any side hill and cuts soaking wet grass almost better than dry!!!
Wait a minute. I thought you were the Ferris guy on this board. Have seen the light? Change of heart?

...seems to always happen when you get 'em on a Scag...