Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I made the full switch this year. No more ferris dealer and I wanted to try scag. Quite the difference. Got the cheetah and v ride, both 61".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Yeah I made the full switch this year. No more ferris dealer and I wanted to try scag. Quite the difference. Got the cheetah and v ride, both 61".
Posted via Mobile Device
Ashgrove,
I am looking for the most comfortable ride do to a bad back.
I will just be cutting my own property. What are your thoughts on ride, Cheetah vs. Ferris IS3100. How about Cheetah vs. IS2000/IS2100?

I just demoed a Gravely 460 and was not all that impressed with the ride. Seat and rubber iso mounts are nice, but the jolts were still transferred to my body. Thought my current Dixie w/ balloon style turf boss tires gave a better ride. If my Dixie had the rubber mounts and air seat, think it would be much better then Gravely ride. The Gravely is a first class machine though.

Having troubles lining up a cheetah or Ferris demo.

thanks,
Alan
Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancamby View Post
Ashgrove,
I will just be cutting my own property. What are your thoughts on ride, Cheetah vs. Ferris IS3100. How about Cheetah vs. IS2000/IS2100?

I just demoed a Gravely 460 and was not all that impressed with the ride. Seat and rubber iso mounts are nice, but the jolts were still transferred to my body. Thought my current Dixie w/ balloon style turf boss tires gave a better ride. If my Dixie had the rubber mounts and air seat, think it would be much better then Gravely ride. The Gravely is a first class machine though.

thanks,
Alan
Well. The ride between the two is different not better or worse. The ferris 3100 is probably smoother all around which would be better for your back. The cheetah has more of an up and down bounce but no impact at all. You really can't beat independent suspension for comfort. But either one will be good for any back trouble. The cheetah is quicker and better on hills and cuts better although the new icd deck cuts great just not as good. The scag deck is pretty amazing! I've been cutting thick overgrown soaking wet grass for three days and it blows through it evenly and spreads it as good and kinda better than dry. I know it makes no sense but I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it and use it all day everyday. I have the cheetah and will be staying with scag from now on if that says anything. So the comfort is great and just takes a different approach.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ashgrove

I read somewhere, and maybe I am mistaken, that the Cheetah has a higher probability of scalping over the Turf Tiger. The complaint was about the Cheetah not having all of the anti scalp rollers that the TT had.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ashgrove,

thanks,
Alan
If your back still hurts on a 460 gravely you need to hire someone to mow your lawn. The only thing that will give a slightly better ride is a Ferris 3100. I've run Scag TT and TC since 02'until buying the 460 late last season. I've also had several hours of demo time on the Cheetah and 3100.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

the ride on the frame of the 460 felt very rigid and it was quick to change with the terrain. I attribute this to the tires and a very nice rigid frame. I was going to take my 24x11x10 turf boss off of the Dixie to try a softer rear tire but the 460 had 5 lugs and the Dixie has 4. It ashamed because that might have made the difference I was looking for. I was very impressed with the build and cut quality of the 460. The cutting height wheel adjuster is the slickest setup I have seen. When that patent runs out I hope that becomes the norm.
If only gravely offered a flex fork and I could try some 10" wheels.

I wonder why Scag, Gravely and most of the market are using 12" wheels with the 24" tires? I have noticed that Bad Boy shows a 24x12x10 turf on their outlaw machines, so I know the size exists. I assume the 12" rims have less side wall flex to affect the cutting height over bumps.
Seems to me a better ride would come from 24x12x10 turf tires?
The Gravely arrived with 15psi in the tires and I put them at 13 before I even started testing. I quickly made the change to 9psi and was afraid to go any lower with the demo unit on my hills. I did not really notice a difference at 9psi.

I also wonder why more manufactures are not using 26" tires? Heck Dixie has a 27" on the twin engine. BTW I am not a fan of that model due to twice the maint and all the extra weight, and I have 100plus hours on them.
Hustler has a 26" tire, the new Altoz uses 26" tires.
If built right, the center of gravity should remain low.

Sorry for all the rambling, I have a lot rolling around in my head
Old 05-25-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

First off I don't have either. I have a Tiger Cat and a Vride. Thinking of upgrading to the TT next year. One thing I saw about the Cheetah I didn't like is the gas tanks extend out over the 2 outer mower bolts. I change my blades each morning and I hit the nuts from the top with an impact gun. Wouldn't like the idea of laying on the driveway each morning undoing the blades. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
If you ask my guys who run them everyday, 5 guys will pick the Turf Tiger, 1 guy will pick the Cheetah. Even so, no one ever complains about having to run the Cheetah. If pressed, I think I would choose the Turf Tiger but it's a close call.
You answered the gentleman's question with this one statement, but I appreciate you giving your thoughts on both.

Ferris 3100 will give you by far the best ride, nothing on the market compares with four-wheel independent suspension, and the cut is comparable.

Cheetah should ride better than the TT and cut grass a little faster if needed, and having two tanks should help keep you from running out of fuel, change tanks just before the first tank runs out, you then have a reserve.

The TT is by far the most bullet proof, will perform good in basically all conditions, built like a tank, meaning there will be less to repair or replace when comparing to the Cheetah or Ferris, the more movement, the more wear.

The TT holds the best resale value of any mower on the market today, this may not make a difference to most, but there are those that appreciate the retained value.

Buy the TT with the 35 Vanguard if you want the ultimate in mowers, buy the Cheetah if you have a need for speed, or buy the Ferris 3100 if comfort is your biggest need.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlavin73 View Post
First off I don't have either. I have a Tiger Cat and a Vride. Thinking of upgrading to the TT next year. One thing I saw about the Cheetah I didn't like is the gas tanks extend out over the 2 outer mower bolts. I change my blades each morning and I hit the nuts from the top with an impact gun. Wouldn't like the idea of laying on the driveway each morning undoing the blades. Just my 2 cents.
It's a non issue. I use my impact from the bottom and it works just fine. You have to get under the mower no matter what so it really doesn't matter. I don't lay under it. Just kneel and reach with the impact and boom they're off in 2 seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks Ashgrove

I read somewhere, and maybe I am mistaken, that the Cheetah has a higher probability of scalping over the Turf Tiger. The complaint was about the Cheetah not having all of the anti scalp rollers that the TT had.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
The Cheetah is missing the two outer rear anti-scalps that are present on the Turf Tiger. I do like having the additional anti-scalps on the Turf Tiger but I haven't had any scalp issues with the 61" Cheetah
Posted via Mobile Device