Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-24-2014, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

FS 90 gear box attachments

I'm considering a larger more durable solid shaft trimmer than my current ones. I noticed the Stihl offers an assortment of gear box attachments to the above trimmer. My question is are these gear box attachments much cheaper than buying a Kombi unit with the Kombi attachments? I don't care about the time to switch them over, as I have other basic lighter trimmers (223L)

Although light and well balanced, my 223L vibrates a bit too much for me for extended use and it seems to be getting more sluggish and my back up Echo SRM 210 is about dead. I have picked up a couple of accounts requiring as much trimming as mowing.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

The advantage to using the Kombi attachments is the extensions and added length to cut things up high. Thats why I chose to go Kombi instead of gear box attachments that and being able to interchange them if a power head breaks down.
As for the price difference I don't remember how much you save. It was not much. I remember that much.
The only useful ones I have would be the saw and hedge trimmer attachment. That might be different based on your needs.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a937539 View Post
The advantage to using the Kombi attachments is the extensions and added length to cut things up high. Thats why I chose to go Kombi instead of gear box attachments that and being able to interchange them if a power head breaks down.
As for the price difference I don't remember how much you save. It was not much. I remember that much.
The only useful ones I have would be the saw and hedge trimmer attachment. That might be different based on your needs.
You may be better off buying a kombi attachment, and selling the extra shaft on eBay for $30 or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run the 90r with an articulating hedge trimmer gear box. Actually, I bought the hedge trimmer for the kombi and removed the small shaft dealer said it was the same thing and he's right. I guess he didn't have just the head or it's cheaper this route. Didn't really ask I know he was doing me right. The kombi unit is probably faster to switch heads without a doubt because it takes a few trys to get the head lined up on the shaft and then you have to tighten the torque heads and loosen them. The 90r is my dedicated trimmer and I have two so I through the hedge head on which ever one isn't being used and then I have two trimmers for yards I can't fit or the hills are to big.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you buy gear box attachments for your 90, you are buying kombi attachments, so the price is the same. They don't sell just the gear box head anymore. I have most of them for my FS90R, and I love all of them. Pole pruner, articulating hedger, edger, power broom and also the bristle drums since they work on the same exact head.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a kombi unit and was given a shaft from my employer who uses just the gear box attachments on his trimmer. I was pumped because I figured I could use this new shaft as another extension, giving me a rediculous 2 lengths of shaft for hedge trimming. Sadly, the end of the shaft I was given is missing the end "coupler" attachment to accept another kombi shaft. Anyone know where I can get that part? Maybe ebay but i don't want to buy from them
Old 05-25-2014, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all sounds like you pretty much have to buy the Kombi attachments anyway, I did not know you could just take the shaft off and use the same gear head on a fixed unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2014, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Thanks all sounds like you pretty much have to buy the Kombi attachments anyway, I did not know you could just take the shaft off and use the same gear head on a fixed unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, it's in their catalog and on their site too. Loosen two screws to switch them around. Doesn't get much easier.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you just want a trimmer setup, the Kombi system will cost you $100 more - that's the price difference.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure the power head is a solid shaft. The light versions like the 100rx are not suppose to run different heads.