Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-26-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
Both of these companies seem to be having issues. Strangely enough Hustler chooses to use Kawasaki's most problematic motor,while they are already dealing with their own non motor related issues.
I like both companies but it's mindboggling some of their decisions or lack of decisions. Kawy's Big Blocks have been blowing up since 2009 I blew up two on Bobcats and now six years later there seems to be no fix.
Honestly their smaller engines seem to have gone down in quality and dependibility.
Hustler, I ran from 2004 thru 2007. Multiple issues clutches, blade switches,pig tail patches and other electrical issues. Multiple wheel motors and hydraulic problems and then the XR7 cutting issues. In many ways I think Hustler is very innovative but they always seemed bordering arrogant when I'd contact them. These are issues a decent backyard mechanic could fix and I'd be told I was the only one or very few were having these issues but thanks to Lawnsite we know better. Do they want to get rid of a Stockpile of Kawy engines and bad wheelmotors they already purchased? I hope they hear what us professionals are saying.
I feel there both good companies but this is not that hard to remedy. Yes I've run every brand known to our industry so I feel my opinion means something. There are so many engine options out there now, why is Hustler using these BB Kawy's

I just read in the Hustler forum where a gentleman had purchased a new Super Z with the 35 Kawasaki and was claiming the throttle lever was backing off, this is his question:

"My SZ with the 35 HP Kawi throttle lever keeps backing off from full throttle to about 3/4 while I'm mowing. Can this be tightened under the instrument panel?"

You would think this to be impossible when thinking about the length of time Hustler has been installing the Kawasaki FX1000V on their Hustler Super Z. The reason I say this is for the fact this is not an isolated incident, this is what "hustlermidwest" posted:

"Yes, but I need to know the serial number. There was a SB on this issue."

Now, think about this for a minute, they have installed thousands of these engines on their Super Z mowers, now, all of a sudden they've either forgotten the procedure for the throttle install, or there has been a difference in parts supplied...Which would any of you believe it to be???

I personally find it unbelievable something this simple could get by their quality control once, much less to the point so many have gotten out of their manufacturing facility they need to issue a service bulletin. You work, work, work on a mower in R&D to make sure it is problem free, and then let something this simple take place to the point of requiring a service bulletin...come on, let's get realistic.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yup that was my post about the throttle backing off. Bummer for me because I don't have the time to drive a hour and let my mower sit at the dealer to have them take care of it for me. I'll be spending my time to tighten it after my lunch break if it stops raining. This engine has been to the dealer already after the first hour of use. A piece of metal got stuck in the fuel float that had to be removed as it was causing the engine to flood. I have also been getting white smoke out the muffler on the first start of the week. Hoping switching to just 30w oil will help with that. It runs well and has a lot of power of course at a cost of sucking back the fuel.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mtn. Guy View Post
Yup that was my post about the throttle backing off. Bummer for me because I don't have the time to drive a hour and let my mower sit at the dealer to have them take care of it for me. I'll be spending my time to tighten it after my lunch break if it stops raining. This engine has been to the dealer already after the first hour of use. A piece of metal got stuck in the fuel float that had to be removed as it was causing the engine to flood. I have also been getting white smoke out the muffler on the first start of the week. Hoping switching to just 30w oil will help with that. It runs well and has a lot of power of course at a cost of sucking back the fuel.
You are a prime example of what I'm talking about, look at your lost time, of which time is money. This is your money lost in an attempt to remedy a poor manufacturing mistake.

This type thing should never happen, I can understand a component problem, hydraulic pump failure or engine failure, but not something as simple as installing a choke cable correctly.

These companies should be required to pay for an LCO's lost time at whatever their hourly rate may be. I always find these companies have no problem charging a high price for their mowers, but when it comes to whether a lawn maintenance company owner's time is of any worth, as you can always see based on treatment, your time is worth absolutely nothing in a mower companies way of thinking. They don't want a dealer to lose his labor charge, so I wonder why they believe its OK for the LCO to lose his hourly income, for a mistake they made.

You are really adding to the cost of the machine but it seems no one takes that into consideration. I can almost guarantee if there was a law in place saying the company had to pay lost time wage, there would be a great deal less mistakes getting out of their manufacturing facility. You would be amazed at how quality control would tighten up, especially when upper management puts our a memo stating there will be an automatic job suspension if your station allows a mistake to leave the factory...yes, things would definitely change, and it would be for the better.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Today, I noticed Kohler EFI is no longer an option on the X-ONE. If this is their continued path, I'll never own another Hustler. Despite mine having an intermittent puff upon startup and a wet electrics issue (apparently my garden hose infiltrated a coil connector), I love the engine. And, for what I cut, the VX4 has been fantastic with Super Z HD blades.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 05-26-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Just took a look under instrument panel to tighten throttle. Can't be done. No where to tighten it. I guess I'll have to bring it to the dealer. The SB must be for a new part to replace the defective one.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mtn. Guy View Post
Just took a look under instrument panel to tighten throttle. Can't be done. No where to tighten it. I guess I'll have to bring it to the dealer. The SB must be for a new part to replace the defective one.
Can't you fiddle with the throttle cable where it attaches to the linkage on the carb? You should be able to adjust it so that it stays at WOT. I had that same problem with one of my trim mowers. It wouldn't stay at WOT, but a little fiddling with the clamp that holds it to the engine so it can slide in and out of it sheath and it now stays at WOT and still goes to idle/off as needed.

Might save you and hours drive and lost time.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ridin'. I'll go take another look. Was watching that as one of my guys moved the throttle, but maybe should mess with it some more.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know how you go with it.