Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a View Post
Well Stonny9 Power Chutes are only made to fit 48" and larger decks so the unit is going to look like a size 12 shoe on a 8 yr old boy. The problem with bending the rear of the Power Chute is when it is open the curve will stick straight out sideways. Also all grass discharges a mower deck at the very front. There's no blowout.

I just looked at the site and you are correct about the deck size. I know I called in and was told it would fit. I don't remember all of the details about ordering, so it is possible I am mis-remembering. It would only take me 5 mins to cut it off. I never thought about it sticking out after bending.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you having to mow the lawn twice? I have been mulching for a couple years now after getting out of bagging the grass. The problem I am having now is that I have to mow the lawn twice in most cases as it's not cutting all the grass as the deck is getting so bogged down. The dealer suggested buying a power chute, but I don't want the lawn to look bad or look like grass clippings are spread out all over the lawn. At least when I mulch the lawn doesn't look like there is grass clippings every where. I can't find many videos on what the lawn looks like after using these.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo5560 View Post
Are you having to mow the lawn twice? I have been mulching for a couple years now after getting out of bagging the grass. The problem I am having now is that I have to mow the lawn twice in most cases as it's not cutting all the grass as the deck is getting so bogged down. The dealer suggested buying a power chute, but I don't want the lawn to look bad or look like grass clippings are spread out all over the lawn. At least when I mulch the lawn doesn't look like there is grass clippings every where. I can't find many videos on what the lawn looks like after using these.
It is meant for temporarily blocking the discharge. I have OEM blades but am gonna buy G6 blades for my 36" snapper pro in a few weeks. Already have them in my amazon cart. If I remember I'll take a vid of both blades cutting at different speeds.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelyman50 View Post
I totally understand what they are designed for, that's why I bought one. I did say, I guess I should have worded it differently. I don't expect the thing to mulch the grass, maybe what I expected was less clippings to come out from under the deck... It blockes them from the chute from coming out but now they come out from under the deck. If I am 3 feet away from a sidewalk the blowout from the right from corner of the deck still sends clippings onto the sidewalk 3 feet away, but the difference is they are not being blasted with high velocity and there is about half the amount.
And that is exactly what it is supposed to do. Like the others said, it wont turn your mower into a magic mulcher. Some grass will escape, just not near as much.

Plus these are basically a one size fits all. The mounts are geared toward the deck, but you must form the plate to your deck. All my are curved with the deck and I have very little clipping discharge.

Remember, these are made to close the chute for 10secs not 10mins.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd also like to make a few comments on the origins of this thread as I do have some inside information available. The title lists '...with Customer Service Info.' Two problems with this: 1) there was never any contact made BEFORE the thread was initiated to even have any opinion on how Power Chute Design handles customer service. 2) Gravelyman50 then states that he had not yet made any contact about his motors issues as this apparently occurred over the weekend.

Secondly he later states that accusations were made blaming him for the motor failure. No such comments were made or are ever made to a customer by Power Design. All that is done is the customer calling is quickly briefed over the few things that can help a motor last longer. AND a free warranty motor was immediately shipped with a final comment of "So let's try it again with a new motor." It may be a small issue, but observations should only be made after an experience has occurred. It's only fair to all involved.

Power Design is well aware of some very frail motors that were switched to at the beginning of this year (and they are very glad this period is over). Vast improvements have already been initiated to return to reliable performance for all involved and it will only get better.

Thanks for listening.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl1200a View Post
I'd also like to make a few comments on the origins of this thread as I do have some inside information available. The title lists '...with Customer Service Info.' Two problems with this: 1) there was never any contact made BEFORE the thread was initiated to even have any opinion on how Power Chute Design handles customer service. 2) Gravelyman50 then states that he had not yet made any contact about his motors issues as this apparently occurred over the weekend.

Secondly he later states that accusations were made blaming him for the motor failure. No such comments were made or are ever made to a customer by Power Design. All that is done is the customer calling is quickly briefed over the few things that can help a motor last longer. AND a free warranty motor was immediately shipped with a final comment of "So let's try it again with a new motor." It may be a small issue, but observations should only be made after an experience has occurred. It's only fair to all involved.

Power Design is well aware of some very frail motors that were switched to at the beginning of this year (and they are very glad this period is over). Vast improvements have already been initiated to return to reliable performance for all involved and it will only get better.

Thanks for listening.
What does it matter if there was any contact with you before the thread was "started" and why do you have a problem with it? I started the thread before I called you, yes you are correct, but I did not post a commnet about our conversation til after I spoke with you. I was simply giving a review of a product like 1000's of other people do on lawnsite.

And secondly, I remember the conversation we had like it was yesterday, and YOU did tell me that all the motors are factory tested and the motor must have took an "impact", or got hit by something. I would never put words in someone else's mouth if they didn't say it. And you said absolutely nothing about how these motors have been an issue lately. When I told you the motor did not last a week, you never said anything about how "the motors have been a problem for us lately"

You were quick to send me out a new motor and it arrived very quickly and I appreciate that. I now have 3 weeks on the current motor and still works as it should.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I guess I spoke too soon as I was mowing today the second motor went out on my powerchute with only 3 weeks on it. I am pretty sure I am going to give up on it as I cant afford to be changing out motors every 2 to 3 weeks. Pretty disappointing considering I dropped $400.00 on this and went through 2 motors in less than a month.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelyman50 View Post
Well I guess I spoke too soon as I was mowing today the second motor went out on my powerchute with only 3 weeks on it. I am pretty sure I am going to give up on it as I cant afford to be changing out motors every 2 to 3 weeks. Pretty disappointing considering I dropped $400.00 on this and went through 2 motors in less than a month.
I feel your pain. I had a power chute on a Hustler mower. I went through 3 motors in a season and a half. I never called the vendor as I didn't have time to wait for a motor to be shipped. I went with a grass flap and it has it's draw backs as well. I can say that after 3 weeks use I am happy overall with the grass flap.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only problem with hot rodding a lawnmower is that parts will fail.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I sent mine back too after it failed on the 2nd day out. I was told I must have hit something. I did not hit anything. It just flopped down while mowing across a lawn. I was told to just send it back because I didn't understand and it wasn't worth trying to explain it to me. Oh well it saved me from buying 7 more. Thanks for refunding my money.