Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Well it may depend on the engine manufacturer...but for sure Kawasaki is not. I ran into this last year. Company had changed hands/names and didnt have a copy of the receipt for the machine. Not being a Scag dealer I told them to try checking with where the machine was bought new and see if they could help. But still no help there
I was told by Ferris that no warranty on mower or any engine was transferable, the warranty belongs to the original owner, once the machine is sold it makes no difference if the mower was never driven by the original owner and has zero hours, the warranty is null and void once owner names change.

I personally believe this to be wrong, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they're worth.

A vehicle is not this way, why should a mower be, just a way of ridding the company of responsibility. I honestly believe this should be illegal.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I was told by Ferris that no warranty on mower or any engine was transferable, the warranty belongs to the original owner, once the machine is sold it makes no difference if the mower was never driven by the original owner and has zero hours, the warranty is null and void once owner names change.

I personally believe this to be wrong, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they're worth.

A vehicle is not this way, why should a mower be, just a way of ridding the company of responsibility. I honestly believe this should be illegal.
I agree.

I think they do it because they know a lot of guys will sell a machine when it has less than a year of warranty left, or is getting close to the maximum hours allowed under warranty, and they have the chance to cut it off to avoid the new owner using it to try to get anything that needs fixing, fixed. It's BS IMO.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have to fill paper work out saying that the mower has been sold? What if i was to buy it and if something was to break I was to ask him to make the maintance appointment
Old 05-27-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efeaganes93 View Post
Do you have to fill paper work out saying that the mower has been sold? What if i was to buy it and if something was to break I was to ask him to make the maintance appointment
I'm not saying this could not be done, if the twin towers can be brought down in the flash of an eye...I would say that could be made to happen. There are ways around many things, just depending on how well planned it is. Remember, you are on an open forum monitored by many.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

that was a hypothetical question
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post

I just have not run into it with Kohler or Briggs so not sure on their engines. I have run into it on Wright. They worked around it for us on one customer. Bobcat I think will transfer. The Kawasaki engine wont but the machine will as I did get the name changed on a fairly new machine for someone.

I do agree they should probably transfer but honestly the number of people selling machines that new that still have warranty is much smaller than those that have no warranty left.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efeaganes93 View Post
Just about all dealers send in the warranty/serial number info on new machines they sell both to to the manu, both to cover the new owner, and themselves in case of warranty work needed down the road. All the manu needs do is check their data bank.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
I just have not run into it with Kohler or Briggs so not sure on their engines. I have run into it on Wright. They worked around it for us on one customer. Bobcat I think will transfer. The Kawasaki engine wont but the machine will as I did get the name changed on a fairly new machine for someone.

I do agree they should probably transfer but honestly the number of people selling machines that new that still have warranty is much smaller than those that have no warranty left.
Based on what Ferris told me, and he was extremely adamant this was fact, nothing with Ferris is transferable for warranty purpose.

I don't really understand this, the engine manufacturer is responsible for their product, so why is Ferris able to speak for them unless they worked some type deal. I certainly don't agree with this practice, the warranty is there on the mower and engine for a specified time, to take this away because the mower changes owners is quite unfair. When you sell a vehicle, boat, or basically any mechanical device, the warranty goes with whatever is sold. Honestly, this thing with mowers may be the first I've heard of a warranty considered non-transferable.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Speaking of motors. Apparently I am going to have to replace a Vanguard 30 horse on my 3100Z. I see people mentioning a 36 Vanguard, anyone know if that motor will fit on my 3100Z, maybe 2 years old? When I bought mine I believe 32 was the big Vanguard? Not sure if the 36 is a newer model of the"older" motors or something different.

I am nervous about finding out about connection problems after buying the engine.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMitch View Post
Speaking of motors. Apparently I am going to have to replace a Vanguard 30 horse on my 3100Z. I see people mentioning a 36 Vanguard, anyone know if that motor will fit on my 3100Z, maybe 2 years old? When I bought mine I believe 32 was the big Vanguard? Not sure if the 36 is a newer model of the"older" motors or something different.

I am nervous about finding out about connection problems after buying the engine.
I can't tell you if there'll be any connection issues or not, but two years ago, the 36 BB was available right along with the 32 in some areas, and the 30 in others like mine. In fact, when I was looking at them then (early 2012), the 32 was not offered any longer in my area having stopped the year before here (2011), only the 30 and 36.

I imagine it will bolt up to the engine deck fine, but can't say anything about the wiring harnesses, though I would think for simplicity's sake, they would be the same too.