Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2003, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch. Here's a quote from another thread titled "competition trying to move in on other LCO jobs":

"mr. pallas

Thanks i think you jinxed me. Just so happenes i got a letter in the mail from the postmaster today. it said and i quote:
Recently, a letter carrier of the sterling heights post office found letters withoutpostage distributed in or attached to mailboxes.

In accordance with these violations you are requested to pay $370.00 postage due for 100 pieces found in or attached to the mailboxes on march 19 2003. this amonut includes payments past due for previous notices. they gave me 10 days to pay.
so ill have to find another way or just stay away from sterling heights."
Old 03-23-2003, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Its a **** shoot for those wanting to take the chance.

Safe to say...that guy crapped out.

Imagine if this guy would have dropped 500 flyers in Sterling Hieghts that day.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been going to Kinko's and I've got an 8-1/2 X 11" sheet of paper with my advertising written on it 24 times per page. I photo copy the page and use the Kinko's paper cutter to cut each page into 24 business card sized pieces of paper, each one saying my business name, credentials and my phone number.

Then I go to Lowe's and buy a 10' strip of magnetic tape. It's got adhesive on one side and magnet on the other. I cut the 10' tape into 1/2" sections. Peel each adhesive off and adhere it to my advertisement.

Then, I walk down the street and stick each one to the front of the home owners mail box. Plastic and all alluminum boxes are the only problem.

Anyway, I haven't been called by the post master yet. I've been told this is perfectly legal. One homeowner did call me and started threatening to call the post master. I finally hung up on the guy. What a butt head. Anyway, that was about a week ago, I've passed out 1,700 advertisements this way, and no calls from the post master.

I figure if I am violating some law, the post master will call me and tell me to stop and that will be the end of it.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 03-23-2003, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

1700? How many customer call backs besides the "butt head"? How many did you sign?
Old 03-23-2003, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a spread sheet of the results:

Two complaints and seven estimates. Four of the seven estimates closed into weekly mowing contracts with weed control & fertilization. Two closed on weed control/fert only.

Guess I was too high on the eighth one.

I've been told that you should close about 50% of the estimates...but I'm happy with the prices I'm getting on all of them

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 03-23-2003, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
In accordance with these violations you are requested to pay $370.00 postage due for 100 pieces found in or attached to the mailboxes on march 19 2003. this amonut includes payments past due for previous notices. they gave me 10 days to pay.
so ill have to find another way or just stay away from sterling heights."
Balony.

100 pieces of mail @ $.37 a piece would be $37.00 in postage, not $370.00. So I doubt the letter anyone got requesting to pay was even there.. Sounds like a lawnsite made up story.

Gary
Old 03-25-2003, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Meier,

What area of DFW are you targeting?

ADrian