Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably like that Scag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I picked up the Turf Master from here. Here's one they have used and would be able to pull a sulky all day, same engine as mine. I bought my Gravely from down in San Antonio off craigslist where your at.

http://www.landscapesupplywaco.com/demo_used/?id=8
I don't really know what the pros and cons are on gear drive vs belt drive. I'm hoping to find something cheaper than $1500. I was looking at the Cub Cadet in the price range because I was originally told it was $1000. I agree that it makes more sense to buy a TurfMaster with a Kawaski engine for around that price. I think I'd rather have the used Scag.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-27-2014, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have use the 33" crapman which is the same as the cub, the unit wasn't mine it was a friend's. I use to help him. The thing uses cables for the to engage the blades as well as the trans, the cables where contantly braking. Also the deck is 33" cut but,the unit itself is more like 35" or 36" so it will not fit on a 34" gate
If I remember correctly it had 3 or 4 forwatd speeds and reverse, it will go forwad and reverse but you have muscle to turn the unit!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
To tell you the truth, being that I was in your position not long ago. I can't tell you what to do, but I can give you my stand point. I went from a 22" to a 30" to now a 34" Walk Behind. If I we're to do it over, I would have started big rather then having to out grow machines in a few months, to only find myself wanting something bigger. Remember whatever you have saved, you don't have to spend it. You can always save it a little bit longer and get something much nicer. Most of the walk behinds out there are built like tanks from what I've found out. Repairs on them aren't terribly expensive at all. I mean heck, the whole transmission for some of the walk behinds are around $200.00. You mentioned the $1400.00 cub cadet, if you were planning on spending that kind of cash I GUARANTEE you that you can find a nice heavy duty walk behind in good condition. If you want something with no problems, for that price you can find something with low hours. If you wanted to spend less scour Craigslist, but as you mentioned I'd be weary of who you deal with. The Gravely 32" I'm speaking of, it's hard to find a quality walk behind that's in good running shape for that price. The one I'm speaking of is a little older then mine, but is running in tip top as I took it for a spin personally. He's a mechanic, it had been sitting out for a while and a landscaper brought it in for repairs. The landscaper never paid him for all the parts he ordered so he got stuck with the machine and is just trying to get the money back from time and parts he put into it. Don't be in a rush either and look around and figure out what you want. He's not selling it anytime soon I don't think. He hasn't even advertised it for sell. Last time I was out there it was just sitting in the back stored. Some people on LS here are buying the Time Masters. They may run for a year, maybe two years, maybe not a year. But If I was dropping 1k on a mower, I want something that's going to run for more than a season, that's just my opinion.
That's the reason I don't want to spend $1000 on a commercial 21", for example. It will probably do a great job and last a long time, but I need a bigger mower for productivity. Maybe I shouldn't buy a 30" either, if a 34" will fit through the majority of the gates. I think you are right about the $1400 Cub Cadet; it's probably too much to spend on something that isn't commercial. I did watch a review of it on YouTube (of course it's probably an older model) of a guy who says he has 600 hours on his. He also said the deck cracked, even though he think his employees dropped it. That, and the cables hanging off the back could be potential problems, that I wouldn't have to worry about with a commercial walk-behind (well, hopefully I don't drop it lol).

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I don't really know what the pros and cons are on gear drive vs belt drive. I'm hoping to find something cheaper than $1500. I was looking at the Cub Cadet in the price range because I was originally told it was $1000. I agree that it makes more sense to buy a TurfMaster with a Kawaski engine for around that price. I think I'd rather have the used Scag.

Your options are Belt Driven and Hydro. Hydro's are more expensive, have a higher re-sell value, usually more power, and actually have a "true" reverse where the belt drivens are kind of like a "reverse assist" from my understanding. Mine is for sure. I use reverse and have to use my legs to actually muscle the machine back unless it's on flat concrete. I've kind of learned to drive the thing good enough to where I rarely need reverse being that it turns so good. It will be hard to find a GOOD hydro unit for that price, and I doubt you will be able to find one for that price. In fact, I know you WON'T be able to find a good hydro unit for that price. Belt driven will suit you fine for learning to work a bigger machine if you are not trying to fork over a bunch of cash.

In fact, if your still saving cash and decide you want a Turf Master, I might be willing to sell mine in the near future. I'm considering purchasing a brand new hydro and selling my walk behind and turfmaster. I'm in the same boat though, I'm still going to be putting away cash for a little bit. My Turf Master was purchased in Febuary. It's been used commercial, but maintained religiously. Oil / Oil filter has been changed before every recommended intrival, air filter was changed constantly. The tires don't even show the slightest of wear. I was going to trade it in when the time comes toward a bigger unit at Landscape supply where I bought it, and they told me up front, (cool people) I'd get more for it selling it out right, and they would still honor the warranty if who I sold it to used my name if they ever had to bring it in. It's a heavy duty machine and will ALWAYS start on the first pull when cold or hot. Not too push anything on you though, if your ready for a walk behind, get a walk behind. If you want a 30" let me know when your ready to upgrade and I can save you some money if I'm ready to upgrade my then. Heck, if you want to, you can come a little north of Austin, and run it around the yard all day long and see if it's something you like whether you want to buy it or not, you could at least see if it's something your interested in. I'd even let you test out the walk behind as long as you stay away from the fences and cars. I don't mind meeting new people in the business and helping them out!

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
That's the reason I don't want to spend $1000 on a commercial 21", for example. It will probably do a great job and last a long time, but I need a bigger mower for productivity. Maybe I shouldn't buy a 30" either, if a 34" will fit through the majority of the gates. I think you are right about the $1400 Cub Cadet; it's probably too much to spend on something that isn't commercial. I did watch a review of it on YouTube (of course it's probably an older model) of a guy who says he has 600 hours on his. He also said the deck cracked, even though he think his employees dropped it. That, and the cables hanging off the back could be potential problems, that I wouldn't have to worry about with a commercial walk-behind (well, hopefully I don't drop it lol).

Really, like I said, you can find a low hours true commercial walk behind all day for the price you'd pay for that Cub Cadet I wouldn't even trust using as my "main mower." I paid $1,500. with 200 hours, and that included the sulky on the back which are several hundred dollars alone. I would for sure want something that would pull me around on the sulky if I was buying a walk behind. When you mention walk behinds, do you work out of your truck or with a trailer, is another thing that comes to mind. I worked with the 30" out of the truck. Simply drove it up my harbor freight ramps all day. When getting the walk behind, that's no longer an option, it would be foolish and very, very dangerous to drive up and down into a truck all day without expecting a major accident for even the most experienced commercial operators. Needless to say, with my walk behind came another $1,000.00 for a trailer.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Your options are Belt Driven and Hydro. Hydro's are more expensive, have a higher re-sell value, usually more power, and actually have a "true" reverse where the belt drivens are kind of like a "reverse assist" from my understanding. Mine is for sure. I use reverse and have to use my legs to actually muscle the machine back unless it's on flat concrete. I've kind of learned to drive the thing good enough to where I rarely need reverse being that it turns so good. It will be hard to find a GOOD hydro unit for that price, and I doubt you will be able to find one for that price. In fact, I know you WON'T be able to find a good hydro unit for that price. Belt driven will suit you fine for learning to work a bigger machine if you are not trying to fork over a bunch of cash.

In fact, if your still saving cash and decide you want a Turf Master, I might be willing to sell mine in the near future. I'm considering purchasing a brand new hydro and selling my walk behind and turfmaster. I'm in the same boat though, I'm still going to be putting away cash for a little bit. My Turf Master was purchased in Febuary. It's been used commercial, but maintained religiously. Oil / Oil filter has been changed before every recommended intrival, air filter was changed constantly. The tires don't even show the slightest of wear. I was going to trade it in when the time comes toward a bigger unit at Landscape supply where I bought it, and they told me up front, (cool people) I'd get more for it selling it out right, and they would still honor the warranty if who I sold it to used my name if they ever had to bring it in. It's a heavy duty machine and will ALWAYS start on the first pull when cold or hot. Not too push anything on you though, if your ready for a walk behind, get a walk behind. If you want a 30" let me know when your ready to upgrade and I can save you some money if I'm ready to upgrade my then. Heck, if you want to, you can come a little north of Austin, and run it around the yard all day long and see if it's something you like whether you want to buy it or not, you could at least see if it's something your interested in. I'd even let you test out the walk behind as long as you stay away from the fences and cars. I don't mind meeting new people in the business and helping them out!
I've heard about hydro; wasn't sure exactly about the advantages, but now that you mention it, I seem to remember something being said about "true reverse". I think they might need less maintenance? But you're right, hydro will probably be out of my price range. I think the Scag confused me because it says "gear drive". I don't know what that is referring to.

I will keep you in mind when I save up a little more money. I can understand about the fences and cars! lol I've used walk-behinds a couple of times, working for other LCOs. One started me in a lawn with a pool, with a Scag, and told me it didn't stop right away. That made me nervous! And another had a Toro with a T-Handle. It was a little hard to get used to, because it seemed like you barely touch the controls to turn. I only used it on his lawn, because I changed my mind about working for him (probably because I tend to make close to minimum wage). But I think if I could afford one, I would like the T-handle control.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ramps

Quote:
Really, like I said, you can find a low hours true commercial walk behind all day for the price you'd pay for that Cub Cadet I wouldn't even trust using as my "main mower." I paid $1,500. with 200 hours, and that included the sulky on the back which are several hundred dollars alone. I would for sure want something that would pull me around on the sulky if I was buying a walk behind. When you mention walk behinds, do you work out of your truck or with a trailer, is another thing that comes to mind. I worked with the 30" out of the truck. Simply drove it up my harbor freight ramps all day. When getting the walk behind, that's no longer an option, it would be foolish and very, very dangerous to drive up and down into a truck all day without expecting a major accident for even the most experienced commercial operators. Needless to say, with my walk behind came another $1,000.00 for a trailer.
Yes, I'd rather have a sulky if I can get it. I do not have a trailer yet, but I almost need one for hauling brush away. I would really like to do more tree trimming when the mowing slows down. I considered that too; if I buy a walk-behind I may not be able to use ramps with it. However, I do see people with walk-behinds in the back of their trucks. I don't know how they get them in there. So, possibly the Turfmaster or Timemaster would be a good next mower, if I can't save up enough for a walk-behind and trailer. And then, I possibly need a bigger truck than a 4-cylinder ranger (the list goes on and on lol).

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-27-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the Gear Driven means the same thing as Belt Driven as I'm pretty sure. Either a walk behind or 30" will be a good jump for you from the smaller 21's and 22's. I have to use a 22" on a small community with cottage homes with tight fences and retaining walls, and has tree's with edging all along the little white picket fences so where I can't run the 30 no where near them. The 22" fits between all the concrete tree edgings and the picket fence all day. There's been numerous times where I've told myself using the 30" I never understood how I used a 21 or 22. Now if you do larger properties, the you can't beat a sulky and a walk behind when you can't get a ztr through the gates. I would never use a 22" unless I HAD to with the 30", now I never use the 30" unless I have to with the 34". As far as loading them in no way would I advise loading them up in a truck. Search here and there's many stories about people flipping them over and etc. The guy loaded mine when I picked it up. The bottom of the deck scrapes with ramps going into a truck. Then you have to steer it with touching steering without running off the ramps. Then when you get it half way up you have to worry about dragging. Then when you get it to the top you have to worry about getting up there to stop the thing. Not safe at all. Maybe for loading it once, but doing it all day, day in and day out, tat's just asking for it in my books. I use the ramps for the 30" with ease on the truck. In fact, I slide them right under the mower, pop the tail gate, slide them right out, and can be unloaded within 1 minute, even having it strapped down. When I got the walk behind I had to get a trailer, which I needed for the same thing as you anyway, small tree jobs and brush. Can I tell you, when looking for a trailer, they are proud of them things with the price tags. You can find a brand new one for the price as most people want used for, so your literally better off just buying a new one. I paid $1,000 at tractor supply for the 6 foot wide because it allows me to fit the 34" and the 30" side by side without having to turn anything sideways. And I can tell you from experience, the Walk behinds, when learning them, they are tricky and very dangerous. But they take no time at all to get used to before you can really haul on them.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said though and I was serious, take a little drive down here sometime when both of us have time. I'd be happy to let you ride around on the walk behind and the 30" for a few hours so you can figure out exactly which one feels "right" to you. I'll be playing catch up this week, I've been stuck in for two days because of this massive rainfall, but I'll be caught up within a week or so.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might take you up on that visit, but I'm waiting for things to dry up as well. I'm not really behind, because I don't have many customers yet, but I have a few jobs and I want to put out more flyers this week, and take advantage of all that rain!

Also, maybe by the time I've saved up my money you will have purchased some new equipment for yourself.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT