Register free!

Old 03-23-2003, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Do your research a mowing heights for those turfgrasses!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Banned

Check out a book on insects by the Entomology Society of America. Handbook of Turfgrass Insect Pests. It will give you the history of any turfgrass pest you want, pictures, IPM approach suggestions, monitoring tips, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Good book in short.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fblandscape
If your customer doesn't want to apply chemicals, you are going to be spending some time monitoring. This is something you should charge for. Also, a few words of advice... if you can, use natural organic fertilizers. They have MANY more advantages than salts and synthetics do.
www.organicapproach.com Call them and ask for information on their product lineup. They are poultry manure based with humates and trace minerals. Check out their 75% organic Bridge line as well. Call 1-888-BIO-LIFE. It will be very well worth the time spent.

Last edited by Organic-man; 03-25-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I called my Ag Dept. today and in Vt. you don't need a license to fertilize or lime. I'm still going for the license as I'm sure i will need it, but at least now I can get her lawn started with some fertilizer. (After the soil test).
I will look into the organics. Sounds interesting. I have bought and read some Turf science books, but I work with "Book Smart" engineers all day and I know there is nothing like real world experience. I appreciate all of that you can throw at me.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by fblandscape
If your customer doesn't want to apply chemicals, you are going to be spending some time monitoring. This is something you should charge for.
Absolutely, your knowledge and commitment to monitoring is worth more than the pesticides and you should be paid the same as if you were applying.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want serious practical info on organic science and fertilizer, look at the sites below.
www.teravita.com
www.harmonyproducts.com
www.organicapproach.com
www.soilfoodweb.com
www.wormgold.com

For more info on a practical organic based business utilizing IPM to its fullest extent, private-message me!

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organic Child

I can see how organic Fertilizer works for you since you have a 5 ton truck and piggy back forklift to handle such.

Do a search here on Lawn site under organic fertilizer and find out some of the draw backs of organic fertilizers on the environment. You might want to trade in your left wing anti war banner for a yellow ribbon, American flag and a real education in Agronomy.

Sorry members Organic Child had a go round on an other forum with myself, and Groundskper. BTW Organic Child did you apply for a pesticide License yet. Organics have there place, but not a total organic program. Corn Gulden is not a herbicide I would recommend. Neem Oil will not kill grubs Etc.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Organics have their place. I have an organic program for my own business. I can sub out the pesticide to another company.

I have done searches on this forum and see that organics/ pesticides seems to be like the age old Chevy/Ford arguments,
or Dixie Chopper / Exmark. I stick with organics, and will continue to because I know it IS better for the environment. There are many experienced men on this forum who believe it is better as well, but I do not need them to prove it for me. You can stick to your ways, but I will stick to mine. I was reading a thread on here last night . One of the guys maintains many of the coastal mansions of New England, and says that l the owners know organic is better because they see it for themselves. Organic is considered politically correct out there. I could care less about politically correct. I am sticking with organics. Call me organic-child if you want to and you are naming all the experienced LCO's who think just like me.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello again, Mr. David Orgasmic Organic. Please show us the results of all your knowledge of and experience with organic turf care. Be sure it is just half of a turf area, with the other half treated with normal lawn fertilizers, so you can show just how the organic treatment blows away any other. Of course you will have pictures of lawn before your treatments, and pictures showing comparative areas every year for the 5-10 year trial. Would be good to also show one you have done for 20+ years, to prove how effective it is over long term.

In time you may learn that information on a web site is just information, it is not necessarily truth. And information on a website promoting that web site's products is considered advertising, which is often distorted information. I can find you websites that reveal that the earth is flat, Elvis lives, Hitler never hurt a Jew, and many other wild ideas. And there are websites promoting seemingly wild ideas that are real.

If you think you have found the magic way to treat turf, you need to go out and do it, not just bellow about doing it, please. Come back and try to gain converts when you have something to show.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey if people are willing to pay me the exra money I need, I'll do an organic program but I would inform them the route that they want to take is a long slow process and expectations have to be lowered.