Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need som help diagnosing this Bermuda

We put in new TIFGrand sod on a property about a month ago and it's not doing well. The sod was put down and began getting watered within a day of being cut and was watered lightly 2 times a day for a couple of weeks. 3 weeks after install I was a little concerned about the stress so I applied 1/2 pound N, 1/2 pound P and about 2/3 pound K with iron and micros. We put in 3" of new turf mix (sand, compost and screened topsoil) and we've recently had some good rain. The sod had a little bit of dormant turf in it (about 30%) when we put it down but the brown in it has increased. Anybody have any idea what's going on here or what to try to improve it? If it doesn't start looking better in the next few weeks, I'm probably going to have to pull this out and do it again, something I'd really like to avoid.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you elaborate more? What do you mean begin watering a day within being cut. Do you mean when it was cut from the farm? Surely you weren't cutting the grass within the first 30 days of laying it, right? I'd be more then willing to bet it could be some kind of irrigation/water issue. We've had some very hot temperatures already here in Texas. I've had great success with three times a day for the first week, two times a day for the second and third week, and one time a week for the fourth week.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it was put on the ground and watered within a day of being cut at the farm. They cut it Thu morning and I had it on the ground Friday afternoon.

It was not a water deficiency, the turf and soil were damp for 2 weeks, soil is already full of earthworms.

We've put this type of turf down in the past in exactly this way and it did not do this, it stayed green from day 1.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You've sodded this same area before or another area? If not this area, what did the area look like before putting this turf down? If it was bare or full of weeds, I'm sure there was a reason grass wouldn't grow there from the start. Did you bring in new soil? A soil test would have been the wise move. You mentioned you put down 2/3 lb. of potassium? What was the reasoning behind that? Did a soil test tell you to do so? Unsure of which area you are in Texas, but nearly every soil test I've seen in our area had high amounts of potassium. If your throwing iron and everything you can at it, if your potassium and phosphorus levels are off, it may be doing you no good because it may be getting locked up and isn't even available to the plant. On our soils, I recently did some testing with Chleated Iron and it worked wonders. I'm located north of Austin by the way. Not sure where your at, but if your sure it's been getting watered correctly, then it sounds as if you have a soil issue.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also assuming you ruled out the sunlight as a factor? That area looks pretty heavily shaded for Barmuda. There's not any areas that are doing noticeably better that are receiving more sunlight by chance is there?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another site with the same issues as this one. This site wouldn't grow grass because it's in shade most o fthe day, that's why we chose TIFGrand (we've used it in another location that was 60% shade with good success). The soil is new, we put in 3" from Living Earth, they sell premium soils. I gave it the PK to try to get the plant itself growing instead of top growth.

We killed the existing turf with Roundup, scraped it all out, added 3" of soil, put the sod down and began watering all in the same day, except the RoundUp which was applied 3 weeks before the job.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another question would be what condition was the sod in when it was brought to the site? Was it dried out? Was it fertilized or had fungicide applied recently at the farm?
Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the sod looked better than others, it was still fairly chilly so there was some dormancy in it still. The areas that looked better when put down still look better but the sod was in good condition. I picked it up at the farm, the fields all looked good.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Another site with the same issues as this one. This site wouldn't grow grass because it's in shade most o fthe day, that's why we chose TIFGrand (we've used it in another location that was 60% shade with good success). The soil is new, we put in 3" from Living Earth, they sell premium soils. I gave it the PK to try to get the plant itself growing instead of top growth.

We killed the existing turf with Roundup, scraped it all out, added 3" of soil, put the sod down and began watering all in the same day, except the RoundUp which was applied 3 weeks before the job.

You mentioned ya'll brought in 3" of soil. What was the soil underneath the new soil like? Compacted or no? Did the grass stay green for a few weeks after planting then start browning later? As far as Sun, I don't care how "shade tolerant" they say TifWay Grand is, I would never put Barmuda in any kind of shade, especially in the 60% range. My personal lawn is Zoysia, and suppose to do well in the shade and I don't even stand behind that. I trimmed out much of the Oak Tree, just to get sunlight down on the Zoysia. I a firm believer not to put Barmuda in anywhere there's not full sun-light, but you said you've done it before so I guess go for what works with you.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The soil beneath is loamy clay. Not overly compact but not the best growing medium. This soil has good drainage and the roots aren't even close to getting into the subsoil yet.

It started to green up a little. The top growth is continuing but it's sparse, not dense at all. From a distance, it looks great, when you get up close not so much. They just started mowing it last week, I told them to cut it at 2" to try to force it to fill in.

I've grown this grass in heavier shade than this site with poorer soil conditions but that sod came from King Ranch and this sod came from Champion Turf because they were the only ones that had any ready to be cut at the time. If I end up having to redo it, the sod will come from King Ranch.