Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Pricing on fertilizer?

So, I got my first fertilizer job. Already have a spreader. I'm just unsure how to go about pricing the job. Anyone got any advice for the formula of pricing a fert job?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to keep it simple. Take the price of what you will be applying and find your cost per 1k sq.ft. of coverage. Then take into account the time it takes you to put down said product and apply that to what you want to make per hour. Add it all up. I'm still fairly new at this as well, so I'll defer to others that may have a set formula for you. But it should always be your materials cost plus desired profit per whatever measurement you want to use. I think a lot of applicators have a minimum charge for up to a certain square footage. Like 5k or 10k sq. ft. Then a certain price per every unit of measurement after that.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you already know your material costs? ( $Per 1000 or acre) And the rate you want to apply it at?

You may want to experiment on your yard to figure out how long it takes with your spreader to treat xxxx sqft. Then you can estimate how long it takes to do a yard. Take that multiply by your hourly wage and add in your material cost and you're almost there. Add in for insurance and biz profit etc.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, sadly I don't know anywhere that offers good prices on one or two bags. Also, I'm so confused on what type of fertilizer to even use. I took a look at home Depot and their is just so many options. The way I see it though, bag cost $15 and I'd like to turn that into a $35 job. I don't think her yard will need two bags, but I figure depending on the price charge maybe a base fee of $10 then like $5 per 1,000sqft?
This is a google maps of her place. I've obviously crossed out anything address wise. Some people are a little... weird on the internet and I don't wanna be giving out their personal address and stuff.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  85.2 KB

Oh house and all, her lot from fence to fence is 9,750 sqft.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No offense man, it of you don't know which product or how much of it to use......maybe you should be passing on his job.

And still not rich

Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I worked for a big company years ago--we charged about 5 times the cost of the chemicals.
Bought wholesale in large quantities.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
No offense man, it of you don't know which product or how much of it to use......maybe you should be passing on his job.
Well, I know as much as the normal home owner on buying fertilizer, but this is why im here. So I can learn. But if your just gonna be one of those guys, who shoo's me off because I'm just trying to figure out where to go. Thanks a lot man. Your a real help.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
Well, sadly I don't know anywhere that offers good prices on one or two bags. Also, I'm so confused on what type of fertilizer to even use. I took a look at home Depot and their is just so many options. The way I see it though, bag cost $15 and I'd like to turn that into a $35 job. I don't think her yard will need two bags, but I figure depending on the price charge maybe a base fee of $10 then like $5 per 1,000sqft?
This is a google maps of her place. I've obviously crossed out anything address wise. Some people are a little... weird on the internet and I don't wanna be giving out their personal address and stuff.

Oh house and all, her lot from fence to fence is 9,750 sqft.
Whats the Lawn size just the lawn
What type of Fert
Old 06-01-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

go to home depot get the bag of lesco polyplus 16-4-8 and be done with it. bag cost is 32.95. covers 8000 sqft
Old 06-01-2014, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
Well, I know as much as the normal home owner on buying fertilizer, but this is why im here. So I can learn. But if your just gonna be one of those guys, who shoo's me off because I'm just trying to figure out where to go. Thanks a lot man. Your a real help.
I don't think the suggestion to pass the job on was meant to discourage but it does highlight an issue you yourself have bought to light. If you know no more than a home owner why do you think that you can charge the client any more than equipment costs.

In my opinion professional service fees are just that if you have no extra or expert knowledge than the client then you shouldn't be taking on the work.

Now the above is not to beat you down or drive you out of the business but more to say pass the job on at the moment and go and get some training so you can provide professional service.