Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2003, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Filling out deposit tickets motivate me...
Old 03-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Banned

I take a good look at two little girls and all their crying gets me real motivated.
Then my hot blooded wife gives me the evil eye and that gets me extremely motivated
Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 AM
Banned

I would say that if you are not looking forward to going back to your work, try adding some new service to the mix which will have you looking forward to that day. Doing one thing each and every day of the week gets old after a while. I like to mix it up.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What gets me motivated?

I can tell you exactly what gets me motivated. It is the thought of all those FACTORY jobs waiting for me out there if I don't!
Old 03-23-2003, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think of the two jobs I have had since retiring. Driving truck 14 days gone and 48 hrs home or if I really don't feel like getting going, about working for the local septic and sewer company. Nothing like the thought of wading around in sewage up to your waist scraping grease off the side of a lift station or pumping septic tanks for 10.50 an hour to get me motivated. Considering the options I love my job.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Motivation

I think LAWNAGENT has nailed it down (for some of us).. If we don't make it here doing what we REALLY want to do it is back to the salt mines bustin our butt for some jerk who is trying to increase his bottom line at your expense..
I opt for the stress free 'one man show', if you find yourself sliding into a dismal pit just think of how much you liked working for some mega company 30 years for peanuts. Concerned about your bottom line? Give yourself a raise. Lose a few clients, others will replace them at the increased prices. I love my job, going back to a 9-5 is out of the question.
BobR

Old 03-23-2003, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Money isn't my only motivation in the lawn business. It IS part of an equation that includes running your own business, customer contact, satisfaction of a job well done, and I love the machines. When I find myself looking at the numbers I remember all the other things I tried to cover my wifes income when she quit her job to raise our son. I love the work and the pay ain't bad.
Sounds like your motivation needs to come from achievements at the business mgt. level. I have a full time job now as well as my lawn business. However, I was self employed right out of college when I started my first business. You might consider training and learning how to take your business to the next level where you might find the challenge that Will get you out of bed in the am. There is a great article in PRO magazine about entrepenuraholics who quest for the next great idea. I am guilty of that . After reading the article I have vowed to fix one goal for this year and stick to it. Maximize profit by raising prices. Doing the work like it is for your mother. But most of all have fun! oh!! and last year is over
Old 03-23-2003, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We're turning down new business left and right here. Spring sprung overnight and we just can't get to the new ones fast enough. Maybe when things actually begin to green up your attitude will change, I know mine did. This will be my 7th year and yes, it can be a little like

"Where is the fun in all this hard work?"

I spent a lot of time at one of my commercial prop's yesterday.....the weeds had just about taken it over. When I got done with it and looked over my work I knew then why I continue to do this. I guess the finished product still motivates me, the "instant gratification" that comes with a job well done. The figure in my head that I want to achieve this year is also motivating me but not enough to take on a tremendous amount of work to get it, if it comes then it comes, if not----theres always next year when that certain account or person comes along that will make my life easier.

I was inside a factory for the first 18 years of my adult life and I don't want to be caged up again----ever! That in itself is motivation for me to continue.

Everything is coming in bloom down here and it will there shortly, when you see spring it does something.................and you also have a reason to get home after a hard days work........the new pool. Nothing better than seeing who can get in first after a 100 degree day.........been there done that................clothes and all. It'll get better and the new business will come.

Good luck and let us know how things go!
Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 cents

Dear Major Tom,

This is the fool proof method I use...I simply remember what I was doing beforwe I began this venture: getting older, fatter and generally hating life.

I worked for Corporations selling software to other Corp.s. At the rate I was going I would not have seen 50 years of age.

Now I'm 25lbs lighter, heavily tanned, have a tinkling all over me when I lie down at night (from strenuous work) and I SLEEP HARD!

Lastly I remend myself that I'm a horrible employee but a great boss...think I'll keep it that way.

Cordially,
S.

F-150
Wright Stander 52"
Tanaka 340 trimmer
Snapper 36" wb
Robin nb253 trimmer
Husq edger
Husq 155 blower
Old 03-23-2003, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I listen to any of Marty Grunders tapes- They are great and help motivate me!