Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2003, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Being my own boss, the money and the thought of what I used to do and make before starting my business 4 years ago.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What motivates me? Hmm. That's hard to nail down. But I'll try.

First, I love my job. I love that I can wake up, send my crews off for the day, and go watch TV if I choose. I love that I have a nice office in my home and I can work in a nice air conditioned room with a nice view , answer the phone, set up appointments, etc. half of the day. Then, the rest of the day I like that I get to drive around in a nice truck with a nice stereo system and A/C and I am getting paid well for it! I enjoy meeting new clients and landing jobs. I love that feeling you get when you go meet a client and they say, "Sounds good. How do I sign up?" And then I go back to my truck and feel like 'Shooter' McGavin from Happy Gilmore after he makes a good put (with the arm motions and everything) and I say to myself, "YES! I am good!"

I love filling out those deposit slips every day or two. I love opening the mailbox and finding checks almost every day. I love driving around town and passing 2 or 3 of my trucks and waving at them, thinking to myself, "Wow! just think of how many people saw our company logo today!"

I love puting out flyers and then the phone starts ringing - even as I am still passing them out! I love getting those phone calls, "Hi. Mrs. Johnson referred me to your company and she spoke really highly of you and I'd like to get an estimate for........"

I love knowing that because of my efforts I am a large part of the financial support for 7 or 8 different families (that is, that I pay a lot of people's wages.)

I love driving by yards that we work on and seeing that they are the lushest, greenest looking lawns on the block.

I love knowing at any given moment I can stop working if I choose to and spend time with my little son or my wife. And knowing that in most other jobs I wouldn't see them all day.

I love knowing that I can leave for a week on vacation and still make great money while we are gone.

I love growing and landing more and more new accounts. And because we've always had a high growth rate from month to month and year to year, it's been very motivating.

I like knowing that new clients are within MY control. I may have to go out and put out 1,000 or 2,000 or 10,000 flyers. But I know that if I try hard enough, I can land 10 or 20 new clients in a short period of time if I really want to. It's just a numbers game. Sometimes, it takes less numbers to get the results I want, other times I have to work harder. But to know that I have control over how much I make and how fast we grow is cool!

All of these things keep me motivated and loving my job. Heck, just listing them out has me totally stoked again right now!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 03-23-2003, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

knowing that every morning when I look in the mirror I see the man I'm working for.Nuff said!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
What motivates me is quite different. I truly love my work.Since I was a kid watching my dad cut our lawn and smelling the fresh cut lawn.The money is just a bonus because I am getting paid for what I love to do.Each time I mow a lawn I step back and look and make sure its meets my standard.You dont have to have a passion for this business.But I really think passion is a secret weapon.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Major...

You said that every year you ran a one page ad in the news paper and the phone never stopped....

This year you passed out flyers...and things are slow.

Run your ad again......

With the ad and your flyers, theres nowhere to go but up.

Attached Images

Old 03-23-2003, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

motivation

I think Homer hit it on the head! It's been a rough Winter.
Spring is coming on fast and the phone will be ringing soon.
You've done it before and you'll do it again! Keep your head up
and go.

A couple other things you should be aware of.

Let your customers sell for you. Send out a mailer to your customers that offers them a discount for referring a new customer. If you're doing your job right, they will be willing to
sell for you.

Think of add-on services, mulch dye, fertilization and weed control, tree and shrub care etc. to offset down periods.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Tony Robbins and coffee. One of his Cd's and 2 cups of dark java. When my crew shows up I'm like a tornado. All about the benjamins and what that Lewis guy said.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2003 will be my 20th year in the biz. Every winter, I pick up a part time job for kicks and to keep out of my wifes hair. Work for someone else for a while.....you will appreciate your own business even more. I do this every winter, and near the end, I can wait to get back out on my own.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Knowing that after playing social worker/human trash removal for 8 hours or so, I don't have to go spend another 4 to 6 hours in my uniform sitting in a bank or some convenience store making $18 per hour making sure they don't get held up.

If that won't motivate someone, nothing will.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for all the replies.

We both like working outdoors, and we do appreciate the freedom we have all winter long not having to work. Both of us couldn't imagine working for someone else ever again.

My lack of motivation isn't because I don't like our business anymore, I just want to get to the next level. And I at times find myself getting frustrated.

But I'm sure like Homer said, once I see everything in bloom, I'll be ready to go.

I'll update this thread in a few months.