Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
Mr. Jim, if I might be obnoxious as usual....

Why did you not heat up that specific zone's wire, find it only, and collect your feathers?

Instead of spending time on the other valves, etc. etc.?
Well Rhett, we turned the zone on at the clock and it didn't work. The water was off on the zone that I was accidently connected to due to a leak repair so neither of the wires would produce any visual responses.

I made a mistake in my connection because I didn't follow my own critical path approach. I merely tested the zone I thought I was after (always verify) and look at the sidetrack I took. At least my client wasn't charged for my mistake, I just worked more than I needed for the same amount.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh, well, then in hindsight, i'll say that i was just rubbing it in

Glad to hear your conscious got the best of you, with your not charging them, sounds like i've taught you well Mr. Jim
Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
oh, well, then in hindsight, i'll say that i was just rubbing it in

Glad to hear your conscious got the best of you, with your not charging them, sounds like i've taught you well Mr. Jim
What are you new? I flat rate these jobs, I don't work hourly, no find, no fee.

I take all the risk, the client knows exactly what their bill is going to be whether I'm there 10 minutes or 10 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim stressed ONE major point to me one day that I reiterate to my techs almost daily.

"When troubleshooting electrical, ALWAYS start with step 1, then 2, then 3 etc." A good tech is one that has patience, those that don't try to skip procedures and jump to step 10 right away.

THIS MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE on how we approach anything beyond basic tech issues.

Jim is Obi-Wan Kenobi to my apprentices.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post

Jim is Obi-Wan Kenobi to my apprentices.
By violating his own rule of verification, Jim turned into a Obi-Wandering around looking like a fool Kenobi for a couple of hours

The fact that I can post my mistakes as well as my successes just proves my point that regardless of how much we know, we are all works in progress.

Thanks for the complement Todd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This hit home (or work) just this past week. Adam showed up to a job where a tech had already started troubleshooting. After 2 hours of not locating the issue they ran out of time. When he got back to the shop I said "What does Jim always say!!" He hung and shook his head and said "I'll get it tomorrow".....then we had a laugh.

The next morning it turned out the first tech was on the wrong wire!!! At this point Adam was pissed.....30 minutes later it was done.

So give him some $hit next time you guys talk.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
This hit home (or work) just this past week. Adam showed up to a job where a tech had already started troubleshooting. After 2 hours of not locating the issue they ran out of time. When he got back to the shop I said "What does Jim always say!!" He hung and shook his head and said "I'll get it tomorrow".....then we had a laugh.

The next morning it turned out the first tech was on the wrong wire!!! At this point Adam was pissed.....30 minutes later it was done.

So give him some $hit next time you guys talk.
I took a call from a friend in Texas last Friday, there was a low pressure issue and the fella knew the location of the MV and valves 1 and 4 if I remember correctly.

We tried a little this and a little that with no success and more than once had I asked if the known valves had been verified.

Long story short, I told my friend to turn the valve on at the controller and the. Walk to the valve and verify it. Wrong valve! We broke the system down, located and verified each new valve and before you know it, we were done. The main was discovered to be cracked just after the MV and the repairs were done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My rule of thumb when trouble shooting, regardless of what I am doing, is always verify what is working first before trying to determine what is not.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
My rule of thumb when trouble shooting, regardless of what I am doing, is always verify what is working first before trying to determine what is not.
And that, brother, is a good rule to live by
Posted via Mobile Device