Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2003, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Power raked spring clean-up ?

My spring clean-ups consist of using 11 hp. push blowers with another person raking in front of the blowers, would it be ok if I told the customer we would also be dethatching at the same time? After all we have alot of thatch that comes up when we do this. And it might be easier to explain why my spring clean-up prices are high....

Or does a dethatcher do more than what I do????

I hope I explained this ok,,,........ Thanks, Tim
Old 03-23-2003, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WHOLE lot more

material if done properly.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:39 AM
Banned

A power rake does a lot more than what any spring tine rake can do. Under normal conditions as least. Now is NOT the time to be opening up the lawn. Creates an all you can eat buffet for weed seeds.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

a powerrake will definately get up a lot of debris and would help justify your pricing. you may even want to consider raising the price if you are going to go over the whole lawn with a power rake.

Im confused by your statement fblandscape? why is dethatching in the spring bad? everybody and anyone who is a landscaper around here dethatches in the spring
Old 03-23-2003, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, your blower isn't removing "thatch". It's removing grass clippings and anything else that gets mashed into the lawn. Removing thatch takes a machine that cuts vertically into the soil where the actual thatch layer is. You are merely power raking the lawn.

Secondly, you don't just add services and expense before consulting with the customer do you? Try to sell them the additional work and why it would be beneficial to have it done. I personally wouldn't just do the extra work and then expect to have them pay for it. It's a tight economy and that would be a good way to piss the wrong person off on the wrong day.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure I/everyone else exactly understands the question.. Do you mean you'd like to use a spring tine de-thatcher instead of a rake????

If that's what you mean, why not try to tell potential customers that this is your method, and it is used to offer the most thorough cleanup in preparation for the growing season.

even if it's faster than your current method, you may get more $$ for a cleanup because of the additional service.

If the customer does not want to pay for de-thatching at that point... reduce rate and skip the raking.

I know that with the size of the props around here, if I had to rake and blow them, customer couldn't afford it!

Lazer Z/HP 23HP Kawi, 52"
Ultra-Vac
Scag 48"/14HP Kohler Belt Drive WB
Stihl FS85r Trimmer
RedMax EB7000 BP Blower
ECHO PB750-T BP Blower
Little Wonder 8hp Blower
Echo CS3000 Chainsaw
6'6" x 12' open Trailer.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Banned

MDB-
The reason I say the spring is one of the worst times to de-thatch a lawn (next to the summer of course) is because of all the weed seeds which are floating around. Best time to be opening up a lawn is in the fall (late august - late september) Not many weed seeds around at that time. If you do your de-thatching in the spring, you will up your pesticide requirements.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Banned

I should specify more what I am talking about... in the sping if you run a tine rake over the lawn, no biggie... the main purpose of that is to pull up your big junk, and to fluff up the lawn so that it can dry out faster to prevent snow mold. If you are de-thatching you are gonna mess up a lawn pretty bad. Of course I am saying de-thatching in regards to when it is actually needed by the lawn, as opposed to the landscaper wanting to make some cash. Just because everybody else does it, does that make it right???? :alien:
Old 03-23-2003, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I do a spring clean-up I have one guy using a push blower on the lawn, and another guy raking the lawn in front of the blower.........., As I do this, along with the sticks and leaves that come up out of the lawn, alot of dead grass also comes out of the lawn.

With that explaination of my service can I say, while I am doing the spring clean-up I am also dethatching?

Hope this was a better explaination
Old 03-23-2003, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To answer that, - no. You CAN say that you are giving it a rake-over. Actual dethatching lifts out an unbelievable amount of material. If you ever run a dethatcher (recommended to only be run in the fall, and only if it ABSOLUTELY needs it), you will see the difference You are just not going to get that with a rake. Now, what I do, and this is what I recommend to any and everyone who does turfsweeps, is use a JRCO rake on it. I have one on the front of a Gravely Promaster 3 wheeler which works excellent because I can reach up under things and lift the whole deck a bit to turn. I then use the Lazer and windrow the debris up to tarp. You can cover ALOT of ground FAST with this type of setup. The customers love this, because it gets the grass fluffed and breathing to let air and light to the grass, allowing it to green up a bit faster.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.