Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2003, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that Runner has touched on his "teenage wasteland", I can say I agree w/ his statement. We haven't yet purchased the JRCO tine rake(s), but are probably going to do so.
It is a good practice to either hand rake the lawn or use the JRCO attachment.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
The customers love this, because it gets the grass fluffed and breathing to let air and light to the grass, allowing it to green up a bit faster.
Runner, with this said why would you recommend NOT de-thatching in the spring? I have always included de-thatching with my spring cleanups, and never had any weed problems. First I like to do it in the spring because it gets out the dead grass, leave debris, sand, and eliminates the thatch layer. With the thatch layer gone spring fert takes less time to green up the grass. Plus it looks great compared to the dormant "flat" look.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 03-23-2003, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need to define "thatch" again. The springtime raking with a spring tine rake, or a gas powered vertical flail reel is not a dethatching, because it does nothing about thatch. See <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22508">What really is thatch?</a>.

Best reason for spring "dethatching" was given here years ago. See Lazer's first reply here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1846 . LOL. If you know a little about turf, you know that is the only reason for spring dethatching or powerraking. BTW, true powerraking is done with FIXED vertical blades, and it really is a very destructive operation.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Banned

I would have to say that the reason why you de-thatch in the fall as opposed to spring is because of how much you remove from the lawn.
1) exposing the soil in the spring gives weed seeds an invitation to germinate.
2) the best time to seed is in the fall because the rate of Photosynthesis is going up, while the rate of respiration is going down, that means faster coverage.
If you are going to de-thatch a lawn you are going to have to dump out a whole heck load of seed.
On top of that, if you are going to put out seed in the spring then that limits you to what forms of herbicides you can apply.
Just things to think about.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers DO like this (and so do I). It gives that "best lawn in the neighborhood" first look. If it's above 40 outside steadily, then its OK to thatch. Personally,Power rakes cost more money to use, an If you're on a tight budget, then you might consider doing what I do: If you have more than one mower (and one has a bagger) Put 3 thatcher blades on (If you have a ZTR or a 3 blade walk-behind mower) and thatch first, then bag the rest with a powered vac system. VAC systems work better because they suck deep down to remove all the excess junk like litle leaves and twigs that could promote fungus growth or rot which would lead to a bug problem. Blowing really only removes the surface layer of derbis.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2003, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn guys like spring "dethatching" because it is a great cash generator. And customers eat it up because you are "cleaning" their yard so well.

So there you see the two functions. As far as benefiting the turf, it is totally useless, unless you are doing nothing else to loosen turf areas packed down by winter. If you really believe you are doing something about thatch, you are just uneducated about thatch.