Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I have one home I'm going to Thursday to replace the PRV. It is reducing flow/volume, but still allows 80 psi. I see it happen quite often.

The thing that kills me, is I told the homeowner to get a plumber to replace it. It's before the meter and I'd rather not touch it in that placement. I explained to the H/O what was wrong. Plumber comes out and says that I don't know what I'm talking about, pressure is fine at 80 PSI, there are too many heads on the zones, blah blah blah. Charges the H/O $85 and makes me look like a fool. Bullsh!t. I can HEAR the friggin' restriction at the PRV. It's whining loudly directly at the PRV. The H/O is now upset at me. I'm replacing it Thursday, and then telling the H/O to call the plumber to forward me the $85 check. The H/O has been saying all along that they have weak pressure inside the house as well. I want to bury the plumber in a jumbo valve box and move on.
Let us know how this works out.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Spoken very diplomatically.

Indeed, why be a know-nothing chump for the lack of maybe 20 bucks worth of gauges and adapters?
To be honest, I am a just above a know nothing chump. Since I am not a back flow tester I did not know I needed gauges. Trust me I am learning different things but I am a work in progress. I may ask some silly questions sometimes but it is because I want to learn to do it the right way. I have seen and know some folks around here that have done it wrong for many years because they were taught by someone that knows nothing and I do not want to be one of those people. I know I will never know everything but I do want to never stop learning. I am pretty good at pesticides from years of experience but I am just learning irrigation so it is going to take awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Questions don't always exactly cut it. At some point you have to invest in the tools it takes to diagnose a problem first time off. There are plenty of other reasons to have gauges on hand.

Since we're thinking a flow restriction, and since maybe the state of Texas doesn't want unlicensed folks taking apart any DCVA, it would come down to using a pressure gauge to see if one or more sections of a DCVA are sapping pressure, by way of connecting to the testcocks on the DCVA, and seeing what pressures show when a zone is on..
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
To be honest, I am a just above a know nothing chump. Since I am not a back flow tester I did not know I needed gauges. Trust me I am learning different things but I am a work in progress. I may ask some silly questions sometimes but it is because I want to learn to do it the right way. I have seen and know some folks around here that have done it wrong for many years because they were taught by someone that knows nothing and I do not want to be one of those people. I know I will never know everything but I do want to never stop learning. I am pretty good at pesticides from years of experience but I am just learning irrigation so it is going to take awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device
I often say you're only as good as the company you keep, there's a reason for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

....and don't forget to check the blinker fluid....
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Spoken very diplomatically.

Indeed, why be a know-nothing chump for the lack of maybe 20 bucks worth of gauges and adapters?
Shucky darn Boots, this mean you're smitten on me now?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, it just saved me from posting the rant-style response which was my first inclination.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Questions don't always exactly cut it. At some point you have to invest in the tools it takes to diagnose a problem first time off. There are plenty of other reasons to have gauges on hand.

Since we're thinking a flow restriction, and since maybe the state of Texas doesn't want unlicensed folks taking apart any DCVA, it would come down to using a pressure gauge to see if one or more sections of a DCVA are sapping pressure, by way of connecting to the testcocks on the DCVA, and seeing what pressures show when a zone is on..

But I am glad I asked because now I know that I need them and that is something I need to check.

Oh BTW, found the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have seen and know some folks around here that have done it wrong for many years because they were taught by someone that knows nothing
But but but but ..... if you have been doing something wrong for more than 20 years, then it's got to be right ...... right?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
But I am glad I asked because now I know that I need them and that is something I need to check.

Oh BTW, found the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cough it up
Posted via Mobile Device