Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Todd,
If you purchase a diesel, here's one thing about them that i didn't see mentioned above. If it's a turbo diesel, let the engine run for a few minutes before you shut it down. This is to cool off the turbocharger, which spins a ton of RPM's (i think in the 100,000 rpm range, correct me if i'm wrong). By letting the truck run for a few minutes, this cools of the bearings and internal components of the turbo. You may notice truckers on the road doing this. I've seen many pull off at a rest stop, get out and lock the door and leave the truck running to cool them down. This will prolong the life of the turbo, and they are costly to replace, too. I wanted to mention this to you incase you didn't know about it.

Take care,
Tim
Old 09-04-2000, 01:11 AM
Millenium Member

Tim, you are correct about the bearings, they need to cool down to between 275-300 degrees before shuting down if possible. I installed a TTM (Turbo Temp Monitor) on my truck, it reads off the pyro, when I turn my truck off the engine continues running until the the temp hits 300, it then shuts off. A great investment! ($120)

Ray
Old 09-04-2000, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ANYONE HEARD THE BUZZ ABOUT CHEVY....I HEARD THEY ARE FINALLY GETTING A REAL DIESEL..SUPPOSED TO BE DETROIT,,,SOMETHING ABOUT 440 HP AND GOOBS OF TORQUE....SHOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE...THIS IS SUPPOSEDLY A MOTOR FOR PICKUPS...I THINK 3500 SERIES ONLY...
Old 09-04-2000, 01:48 AM
Millenium Member

Fireman, Isuzu make the Duramax for GM, the Duramax 6600 is rated at 300 hp and 520 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/2001.htm

[Edited by KirbysLawn on 09-04-2000 at 05:07 AM]
Old 09-04-2000, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Variety is the spice of life.

I am a big powerstroke fan (3 of them - in trucks), but I have room for cummmins (skidsteer, backhoe, loader, F-800, Chipper). With any of these diesels, the power is there when you need it. If you don't ever need the power, then sure a powerstroke is a fuel hog. One thing is for sure, however, the F-350s work circles around the 94 F-250 Gas pickup - in terms of power, economy, and production. We use the gas job for mowing, esp. around town. When it goes on the highway, so does my credit card!!! At least with the diesels we have tanks at the shop (hurts a little less in the wallet).

This year, we have sent several truck/trailer combos out on different jobs to see what works the best. Some of our routes are all two-five minute drivetimes, some are 15-20 minute jumps.

Hands Down winner - for stop and go, and longer highway runs - 1999 Isuzu NQR Diesel - we just picked up in June. This has a similar block to the one going into the Chevies. It is very nice in my opinion. One disclaimer - we don't tow with this truck, ever (it is a box).

I guess if you are SURE that the truck will only be used in town, then it probably doesn't matter. However, without having a variety of trucks at your disposal, it seems that keeping your options open is probably a good idea. Sometimes our trucks go out loaded with material, sometimes they are pulling a 10,000 lb. trailer. You should get the truck that is most versatile for the jobs YOU intend to run.