Register free!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring Turn-Ons: Multiple Techs?

do you guys send 2 techs for spring turn ons or usually just have 1 guy go?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The company I work for now sends two techs. Actually one tech and one helper. This is the first company I worked for were we have two people go to any type of work that's under four hours. I think it is highly beneficial as more gets done and more items gets sold thus benefiting both!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Depends on the training level they are at. At our company, everyone runs solo on tech except for the oldest guy, as he is always training someone new.

We run 2 solo techs, 1 tech with 2 guys, and a 3 man install crew. I float around as I run the entire division and do our landscape lighting & water features.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've noticed pro's and con's with two tech's. usually depends on the system, if there isn't a remote, it's nice to have one at the controller and one in the field, we've also thought of walkie talkies for situations like this. if you have a remote port, then you can go through the system, if something needs attention one tech can work on that zone and the other can move on to the next zone. BUT if there isn't much wrong with a system with a remote, you have two techs standing there pretty much accomplishing the same thing that one tech could accomplish in the same amount of time. i'm just curious how most do it. i will say that when you run into a system that needs a lot of work it's nice to have two guys
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven2510 View Post
Depends on the training level they are at. At our company, everyone runs solo on tech except for the oldest guy, as he is always training someone new.

We run 2 solo techs, 1 tech with 2 guys, and a 3 man install crew. I float around as I run the entire division and do our landscape lighting & water features.
curious, how quick is the employee turnover at your company? do you have a lot of good guys that stay around or are you guys always having to train someone new? i've found a good tech is hard to find and worth a lot to keep around
Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One tech per site works great. Of course, each tech has a remote. I find we can accomplish more visits in a day with 1 person per truck. Let's face it, increased productivity = greater revenues.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
curious, how quick is the employee turnover at your company? do you have a lot of good guys that stay around or are you guys always having to train someone new? i've found a good tech is hard to find and worth a lot to keep around
In the past, its been really hit or miss. We hired a few really smart guys this spring, all with experience. I really hope they stay. I have been with the company for 4 years...and I am the last original guy there. In those years, only 1 other tech is still there, and I trained him. Its hard to find a smart experienced tech with a good attitude. I can train nearly anyone, but if their attitude sucks, they are useless to me then. This is the biggest problem we seem to have. Turnover is not terrible, but you will get those guys who just can't do it.

FYI: Our total company size is close to 57 people right now. We have 7 people in the Irrigation division.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven2510 View Post
In the past, its been really hit or miss. We hired a few really smart guys this spring, all with experience. I really hope they stay. I have been with the company for 4 years...and I am the last original guy there. In those years, only 1 other tech is still there, and I trained him. Its hard to find a smart experienced tech with a good attitude. I can train nearly anyone, but if their attitude sucks, they are useless to me then. This is the biggest problem we seem to have. Turnover is not terrible, but you will get those guys who just can't do it.

FYI: Our total company size is close to 57 people right now. We have 7 people in the Irrigation division.
What do the other 50 do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As stated it goes both ways..

When you get on the Large commercials with 100+ zones and lots of plow damage, yes.
It's very easy to keep someone busy.

When I'm doing Mrs. Jones 5 zone turn on 5 heads a zone with a remote, no.
Lets say I make 150 $ in 1 hour with Mrs. Jones by myself. 2 guys Can not do the work in half the time.
Its just a fact. I enjoy making money for my boss/ the company. I like a high return rate and low call backs. Lets say as a tech in 10-13 hours a day I can bring in over 100 $ per hour. With the second guy in the truck I might be able to bring in 1500$, but divide the dollars made that day by twice the hours and I'm working well under 80$ an hour. No bonus, not a good day. Right now we are short a truck and It sucks that we have to deal with the extra man. I like being by myself.

I fix my own heads, I don't have to babysit. I get grumpy when the smallest set back happens.

I hope that made sense its early and I need coffee.

Last edited by CAPT Stream Rotar; 06-05-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
I hope that made sense its early and I need coffee.
Already grumpy I see ..... no sleep dad?