Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are You Serious?

Our weather forecast calls for rain every day for the foreseeable future, with total accumulations of as much as 9 inches total in some areas during the next 7 days.

We mowed until late yesterday evening, finishing all out normal Wednesday accounts, plus my biggest Thursday property. This morning we hit the first lawn at 7:30, even though the humidity was so high the grass was wet and double-mowed what we had to in order to get as much as possible done before the storms moved in. We were on the 4th where I was trimming like a madman while my wife mowed, lightning already flashing in the distance, when the homeowner came out to pay me for last month.

I took the check and thanked him, explaining we were trying to get as many as possible done before the rains hit. He looked around and asked if the grass was going to look okay with it being so wet! I thought WTF!! I told him we'd double-cut if necessary, but either way I figured it would look better than it would if we don't get a chance to mow it for 4 or 5 days or have to do it in the rain. Geez, give me a break! I normally never mow anything until most of the dew has burned off in the morning, but sometimes you just have to do, what you have to do.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I read all the "I don't cut when it rains" threads, I always wonder how anyone gets anything done. I'm sure it's different elsewhere, but if I waited for the dew to dry, I'd be leaving the house at noon. There's dew on most mornings - it's not any different than if it had just rained.

Whoever started the myth that you can't cut wet grass had the luxury of waiting for it to dry.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's humid here and rains a lot, we cut in the rain sometimes, in between storms, grass is always wet at most properties till 9 or 10 with dew anyways unless there is a drought.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around where i am, if i didn't cut when it rained, or the grass was wet, i would never get to my lawns. I trimmed and mowed last week when it was pouring rain, i had to get the stuff done.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The last month here we have had rain at least one to three days a week you just have to work through it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Somedays it is a hobby an somedays it is a job.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
When I read all the "I don't cut when it rains" threads, I always wonder how anyone gets anything done. I'm sure it's different elsewhere, but if I waited for the dew to dry, I'd be leaving the house at noon. There's dew on most mornings - it's not any different than if it had just rained.

Whoever started the myth that you can't cut wet grass had the luxury of waiting for it to dry.
I just use rain as an excuse for a day off :-) it does make it look like crap depending on the grass type.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Light rain is okay. Heavy or steady enough to soften the ground, no way. I tell customers I would rather you be a little upset over long grass. Ruts are forever. Also being a runner variety St Augustine is easy to rip from the ground. Lightning capital of the world also weigh in on the decision to work or not. We had a GC get zapped recently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here whether it's rain or shine I mow. Sometimes the dew doesn't come off until afternoon and even then the grass might be so thick that you're still basically mowing wet. Sometimes the dew is so thick that I wish it had been raining.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta love the customers that expect a pristine cut despite the weather being in a monsoon trend.
Those are customers I look at non renewing for the following season.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13