Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need some advice.?

Lost a client today because she said I didn't give a full service Lawn Care she asked for mowing trimming and blowing.... That's what we did but she said she is going back to the other company because when they came out they would trim all the beds I mean edge each time according to her.. Get the ivy off her tress and spread for weeds in the beds... What I am asking is we usually try and upsale a weed killer app and a bed cleanup which would fall into the cleanup of the ivy... How many of you guys do this at each of your property's every time your there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Ivy and beds are considered cleanup for me and would be an additional charge. I will trim around beds but not in beds or pull/remove anything from the beds. Mow, trim, blow...anything more is an extra charge unless it's a small one time kind of thing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360lawncare View Post
Lost a client today because she said I didn't give a full service Lawn Care she asked for mowing trimming and blowing.... That's what we did but she said she is going back to the other company because when they came out they would trim all the beds I mean edge each time according to her.. Get the ivy off her tress and spread for weeds in the beds... What I am asking is we usually try and upsale a weed killer app and a bed cleanup which would fall into the cleanup of the ivy... How many of you guys do this at each of your property's every time your there?
Posted via Mobile Device
People expect everything to get edged with every mow, beds, drives, walks, curbs, around trees.

Now who used the term full service you or the customer when they asked you for a bid?

Full service does not mean edge, trim, mow and blow. That means you do most if not all of the following, fall and spring clean ups, fert apps, lime, treat for weeds, bed maintenance, hedge, shrub, and trim pruning, reseeding, aerating, mulch.

It appears that the customer and you never bothered to find out if you were both on the same page.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Full service is full service. de-weeding beds is pretty much a given if you're doing hedges too. You don't have to spray every week if you use per-emergents. Why wouldn't you edge every week with the mow? Sounds like a half ass job to me if you don't. You do less than what I sold basic service for. My regular service was mow, edge, line trim, and blow off. This was done every time I showed up. I don't know anyone that has regular accounts here that doesn't trim and edge every visit. I don't know why you don't spray ivy because I'm not touching the stuff. If you keep up on stuff it's a lot faster and easier. There is a lawn boy on every street you have to stand out from the crowd. Really edging every week when people are doing it eo is obviously a good selling point to her and it doesn't cost anything extra really.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends because as a general rule the companies with the least amount of work will perform the most comprehensive and best service, while the companies who are loaded two weeks out may tend to stick towards a more minimalistic approach... All for about the same price, of course.

The funny thing, however...
Is that for the most part customers who think like yours are really just making us do more paperwork, it's six of one or a half dozen of the other, most landscapers do try and give a fair shake for the buck and the customer who expects more than that is going to be doing a lot of switching...

Gets to the point, I fill my slots, I'm done picking up work.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Full service means full service, but you gotta know where to draw the line . Don't give away the farm. Did you sell her a full service package?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, Mowing, trimming, and blowing isn't full service. It's actually the most basic service. Anything less than mowing, trimming and blowing is the 12 year old down the street, really.

Now there are exceptions, I have a neighbor of a client where I mow his hill in the backyard every other week for my $30 minimum, no trimming, no blowing (because there is nothing to blow off)...but it is a hill he doesn't want to deal with with his mower.

But 99% of the time, mowing, trimming and blowing is a basic service.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

What is growing in the flower bed is considered flower bed maintenance. People want extra service but don't want to pay extra money. It can go both ways, but it depends on you as a service provider. You probably got low balled. Why did they choose you and not return with the previous LCO in the first place?