Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this happen to you?(they scipped a mow on pym't)

Lady always pay's 2 weeks or so after mowing. I've been ok with that. This last time it overlapped two cuts so She owed me for 2 not 1. She insist I never mowed the 2nd one and just payed for 1. If that was the case It would be over 2 weeks almost 3 between the mows. They were 10-day apart for first month and now weekly. I just explained to her She was wrong on that by e-mail and gave her the invoice number and the date on it, which She says was not done in that time period. grrrr. Anyway- I told her if it was a issue I'd just let it go. But I will be weekly from here on anyway. No more 10-days. Any ideas to prevent this from happening again? She is a good account so don't want to make it a big issue. I got the paper trail to show her if need be but I think best to just let it go this time.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not a good account if she's getting over on you. Don't give her a freebie from the start; don't let it slide. It will always be frustrating for you; guaranteed. Red flag in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you bill weekly? Do you mail the invoice or just leave one?

You could leave hangers that states what was done and the date along with when and what (assuming more than just mow only) the next service will be.

Or send an email of a similar nature.

Most of the time it's not an issue. I've had clients ask if their bill was right, I double check it. Sometimes I made a mistake and correct. The rest of the time they trust me enough to pay it.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a little different. If someone says they paid when they didn't, I want the check image (front and back). This customer is saying he didn't cut. Woah, I never had that happen.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This has happened to me more than once, unfortunately it is a part of doing business, it is the reason why today I keep very accurate records...
Record keeping is for my protection and that of the customer as well, situations like these can easily blow up in our face, unfortunately I have been wrong before even when I thought I was 100% sure they had not paid... And how would you know if they paid or not, without recorded data?
It's bad enough with the good honest customers, you ever get someone dishonest and they can really take you for a ride.
For my method you have to know the dates you mowed and the days she paid and how much, I mean you need hard copy records of this.

No, remembering is not good enough.
Even if you are sure of yourself, you need it on paper.

Hate to say it but I've been wrong before, even when I was sure.
So if you have hard copy records then you need to do what I call a financial account verification.

Way I usually handle it is I start right from the beginning of the season, writing down in a column all of the dates that I serviced the property and the amount charged. Then once that is done I start another column to the side of the first one, and on that I list every check they gave me and on which day (in my case I list actual deposit date, since my deposits have carbon copy, on my deposit slips I ALWAYS record name and amount, for this reason).

Yup, one column every single service rendered, the amount charged.
And aside another column every check they wrote, and the amount they paid.
Total up the two columns that should give you two separate figures.

What you come up with, if they match it means they are paid up.
If there is a difference, it should match what you were thinking?
At this point I take this evidence on paper and present it to the customer.

Once presented with these records the costumer can then decide what they must do.

Now if you or a reader does not keep accurate records, take this ONE LAWN MOW lesson to heart, start keeping records!

Last edited by herler; 06-06-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dates..

my records: mowed 5/14..5/23..6/2 (these were the 9-10 intervals now on weekly. She says I mowed 5/14 (check wrote 5/16) and now sent check for 6/2- She doesn't think I mowed on the 5/23? That grass would have been foot tall had I not with the weather we've had. I have invoice copy's for all these dates and they are always left at the door. She said she has record of check wrote on 5/16 and cashed on 5/20..( that was for the 5/14 and a edging done week earlier) but that means nothing to the issue of not getting paid for the mow on 23rd. bad thing is- I mow this one by push mower due to lay-out and size. Long story short.. I'll give her grace 'one' time as I truly think she thinks She is right. She may realize the mistake since I sent the last e-mail to her with invoice numbers/dates. I'm not going to worry on it but will be watching for anymore issues, then she is gone. I just picked up another 1 hour ago so I'm good either way.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Send an invoice for every cut. No getting over on you that way.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
my records: mowed 5/14..5/23..6/2 (these were the 9-10 intervals now on weekly. She says I mowed 5/14 (check wrote 5/16) and now sent check for 6/2- She doesn't think I mowed on the 5/23? That grass would have been foot tall had I not with the weather we've had. I have invoice copy's for all these dates and they are always left at the door. She said she has record of check wrote on 5/16 and cashed on 5/20..( that was for the 5/14 and a edging done week earlier) but that means nothing to the issue of not getting paid for the mow on 23rd. bad thing is- I mow this one by push mower due to lay-out and size. Long story short.. I'll give her grace 'one' time as I truly think she thinks She is right. She may realize the mistake since I sent the last e-mail to her with invoice numbers/dates. I'm not going to worry on it but will be watching for anymore issues, then she is gone. I just picked up another 1 hour ago so I'm good either way.
I like the way this sounds, I've done that before as well, give them the benefit of the doubt this one time.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks

thanks herler and everyone else on the advice. I do leave a invoice on every cut.. but maybe mailing is better? My records are pretty good- but I guess I need to be more precise on dates/numbers/ect. all good advice.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just happened to be this past week. Mines kind of funny though. I sent out the end of the month bills, (I bill half of my customers at the first of the month and the other half at the end.) Bi-Weekly customer receives my invoice and calls me immediately and says "I just got your bill and you have not been here to service my lawn in three weeks, why are you charging me!?" I told her, "Mam, I've been to your lawn on every scheduled date this month, and in fact I picked up your daughters Play-Doh cans that we're scattered all around the back yard along with other various toys." Then the phone goes silent before she tells me she's going to send over the check. I feel your pain though and very frustrating when a customer tries to cheat you out of your money purposely or accidentally. I don't let it slide though, if a customer pulls that with me, no mow again until I'm paid. I feel like some people just test us. I had a customer "testing" me trying to get me to do all the little extras for free a little bit at a time. She was surprised when I put a stop to it by simply saying, "NO."

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.