Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-02-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Production per man

I've read a few threads where guys have said they figure production at 50-60k per man per year.

For those who have said this, just mowing? Mowing and all other work(pruning, mulch, etc)? We pretty much work year round in most lawns with janurary and feburary used for most of our mulch/pine straw installations post leaf drop.

As the year comes to an end I want to evaluate my crew production and work on changes to become more efficient I. 2015.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I've read a few threads where guys have said they figure production at 50-60k per man per year.

For those who have said this, just mowing? Mowing and all other work(pruning, mulch, etc)? We pretty much work year round in most lawns with janurary and feburary used for most of our mulch/pine straw installations post leaf drop.

As the year comes to an end I want to evaluate my crew production and work on changes to become more efficient I. 2015.
Heavy loaded question.

First I must say that everyone has different work ethics and a different pace. My spray guy is slow as a slug, but he knows more about what he is doing than anyone I've ever met. He also has a great way with customers. I keep him for these reasons knowing I could get a guy that could cut his time by a third maybe.

Type of work also matters. My two guys who do hard scape work bring in much more than my mowing guys. They also work 12 months a year where the cutting crew is only 10.

So the hard numbers seem to be for me,
25k for my spray guy, 35-40 for grass guys, and my hard scape guys almost hit 50. I know I'm a lot lower then what others are seeing, but we are still growing. Also going through a huge remake of the company. Fingers crossed I might be able to report higher numbers next year. Especially the lawn guys.

Hope this helps. It may be lower than you were hoping, but I'm honest with my numbers.

We are only a shop of six plus myself so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Tentatively speaking, kinda... I think... And maybe, thou I sure hope so, sure would be nice.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

From my experience 50-60k per man is in the ball park. Last year when I still had employees we saw 52k per man the year before it was 55k per man. Now this year with out employees my partner and I are going to hit 90k per man. Yes there is a reason after 11 years I dropped the employees and it was well thought out.

Now I have read in our trade mags some big companies as low as 30k per man. I have no idea how that works we couldn't make a living at 52-55k per man. Hell the guys here were costing over 35k a year when all payroll related costs were added. It seemed the lowest revenue per man was always down south like Florida. You would think it should be more with the longer season but the longer season comes with a cost. Your weaker competition lingers year after year and keeps the prices down. Here we have a way to kill off the weak and the sick business models we call it winter.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post

I'd say that's a good number, my business is 3 full time employees (including myself) for 8-9 months and 1 full time for snow (myself). I should be around $190,000 this year so that puts me at 60ish per guy.

This is an all maintenance business with very little install work (10 percent) and zero hardscapes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. Seems that is the ballpark number guys here were throwing out.

I ran 2 full time and 1 seasonal guy thins year. This group will do 90% of the mowing, pruning, mulch, etc.

I only now if we get behind and like to keep myself free for running the business and lawn applications.
Posted via Mobile Device