Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use a Titan or Tundra?

I'm selling my F350 and going down to a half ton truck. I have a 16' enclosed that I will use. I just have a Deere Z930A MOD 60" and a 52" Scag Pro V WB. Do you guys think a Titan or Tundra will be enough truck to handle this trailer? My friends keep telling me that I need to keep my diesel because a half ton won't handle this trailer. I will be buying a ext cab 4x4 with the bigger V8 and tow package. I think I will have more than enough truck for what I do. Just looking for what you guys think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I'm selling my F350 and going down to a half ton truck. I have a 16' enclosed that I will use. I just have a Deere Z930A MOD 60" and a 52" Scag Pro V WB. Do you guys think a Titan or Tundra will be enough truck to handle this trailer? My friends keep telling me that I need to keep my diesel because a half ton won't handle this trailer. I will be buying a ext cab 4x4 with the bigger V8 and tow package. I think I will have more than enough truck for what I do. Just looking for what you guys think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Check out a F150. If I'm correct I think the tow capacity is around 12k and the new "Eco-Boost" engine is a turbo charged gas motor. A salesman told me next year, Ford is doing that same thing to a 5.4L and the MPG is going to be in the very high teens. As far as a Tundra or Titan, a friend of mine has a Titan and he loves it and now tows a 14 or 16ft enclosed trailer but its only loaded with construction tools and related things.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a 2007 Tundra double cab 4X4 with the 5.7L. It would tow ANYTHING, amazing truck, my only word of advice is to have a soft right foot, if you have a heavy foot it loves its fuel. It was rated to tow 10300lbs, most I had on mine was about 8000 and at that you couldn't tell the difference between loaded or empty, great truck but you have to do what is right for you and your situation!!
What do you have in your F350??? I replaced the Tundra with a Dodge 2500 Cummins only for the better fuel economy, on average I only haul about 4000 lbs
5'X8' trailer
2 Honda HRC 21"
2 Exmark 21" commercial X series mowers
Sthil handhelds
36" Toro Grandstand
48" Toro Grandstand
Billy Goat Aerator and powered over seeder
Old 04-10-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An ex girlfriend of mine had a 2006 Titan 4x4. I loved driving that thing. I hooked it up to a loaded 16ft lawn trailer before and it did just fine. The only downside I see to the Titan is that she never did get very good fuel mileage in the first place with no load so I'm guessing the mileage pulling a trailer all the time would be horrendous. That's just my guess though.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a crew cab Titan. I loved that thing. It had all the bells and whistles and I felt like I was driving an Escalade or a Navigator and not an import pick up truck. The mpg in the Titan was terrible, I get the same gas mileage in my 3/4 ton chevy.

And the Titan could pull anything I hitched it too. Lots and lots of power.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 07 titan and love it! It will pull anything I have had a 1/2 pallet of sod in the bed and 2 pallets on the trailer and it pulled it with little trouble. I mow with a 7 by 14 trailer 48 inch walkbehind push mower and various tools and get around 14mpg when I drive smart and am not in a hurry rushing around town. It is the best overall truck I have driven. When I worked for other companies I drove dodges, chevys, fords, 350's, 3500's, 250's, 2500's. That 5.6 titan is more than enough truck for your everyday mowing rig.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had an '01 Tundra with the small v8, and it towed really well. It pulled an open trailer with a ztr, etc.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have bought a Tundra but Toyota only recommends a light weight plow.
I would deal with poor fuel mileage in exchange for lost time in the shop.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Is your F350 paid for? If so and you are financing a new/used truck, it wouldn't make a bit of sense. You're likely going to get the same or worse fuel mileage out of a half-ton gas pickup as you are in your F350. I have an '04 F150 4x4 with a 5.4l v8 and it pulls a 16' trailer just fine, even with 6 yards of soil on the trailer. The key is having a trailer with brakes and not how fast you can go.
For what its worth, I get 14mpg empty and 7-11mpg loaded, depending on the weight.Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a 08 tundra and like a moron I traded it for my f250 diesel. The tundra can pull anything the diesel can. It is a gas pig but that is to be expected if you want a powerful gas truck.
Posted via Mobile Device