Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-13-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a wright stander am im only doing 25 in 11 hours with a helper. what am I doing wrong? like I said the route is 40 miles or so.
WITH driving time 44 in 14 hours averages to 3.14 per hour, meaning 19.1 minutes per client. Solo?
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I spent 16h a day for a year refining every process I use, from unloading, refueling, respooling, route efficiency, and efficient equipment operating techniques. So the sum of all those parts adds up. Keep in mind I was also an international level track athlete so that counts for a bit but isn't the only reason.

You're at 2.27 lawns per hour right now which isn't that far out. Push a little harder and you'll get there. My relaxed pace is about 2.5/h.

The 44 lawn day:
-There are no breaks. Plan out and pack enough calories and food to get you through the first 6h so you can eat while driving. If you can pack enough for the entire day even better. Otherwise you have to stop for fast food which takes time.
-Arrive at the first lawn 15 mins before the noise bylaw allows you to so you get 14 (or for you 11) hours actual working time.
-I find the biggest interruption to my flow is food and bathroom breaks. I use an enclosed trailer and can eliminate "piss stops" because I have a pile of clippings in the trailer. I just close the door and piss on the clippings as they are basically a giant sponge. Saves more time than you think. If you stop 4 times to piss in a day that's time to park, time to walk into a place to go, and time to get back on your route. 15 mins a stop is an hour of total wasted time right there.
-I use TimeMasters as my push mower. Make sure you have at least a 30" mower as it's 1.5x the production of a 20 inch push mower. TimeMasters are self propelled too which is a major fatigue saver. It's not about being a "tougher" worker, it's about being a smarter worker. Fatigue slows down production so we want to eliminate it for that reason, not because we're weak.
-Using "quick fill" style jerry can nozzles (the ones that you just push on the spring to release them) make refuelling quick. I have a 53 liter can that is mounted in my trailer above my mowers so it automatically syphons into my mowers (pusher and rider). Also, I buy like 10 trimmer spools so instead of pulling the spool off the trimming, cutting another line, winding it up, and fitting it back in the trimmer you just take one of your pre-wound spools and throw it in the trimmer and go. Again more small stuff but it's the sum of the parts that adds up.
-While on the topic of the trimmer, remember that it shoots clippings to the left. If you mind your clippings with the mower and always shoot the trimmer clippings onto the lawn you'll never have to walk back to blow the hard surfaces off. If you miss a few clippings on a walkway you can use your trimmer as a blower just running it along the walkway. It won't work for a driveway but it does work on small walkways. Saves you a trip back to the trailer/truck every yard. On 40 yards that adds up.

Mentally: From the time you wake up in the morning the thought process has to be "keep moving", "never stop", and look for every efficiency and "shortcut" that can eliminate steps while still giving the same level of service.

Keep those legs moving. IMO get rid of the helper (unless you have like 150 lawns and need him). There's just so much unrealized dead time with another person standing around, talking, distracting etc. It's all about getting rid of waste, and making sure that every second in that truck on route is working towards the productive goal of cutting grass.

That's about all the free advice I can give. haha

Last edited by bodaggin; 08-13-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well thanks a lot I really appreciate your insights and am grateful for you sharing.
I have a similar mentality. I am "racing" most of the time. We do not stop for food, eat and drive, no stopping somewhere else to pee. I use a bottle.
I am at 2.27 lawns/ hr, WITH a helper. Like I said a lot of lawns take us 15 minutes. Some take more and a few take less. Driving is about equal, which instead of being able to do 4 lawns per hour (no driving) we do the 2.2. But again that's with a helper.
I have some clients im my neighborhood and I start before the noise ordiance (usually 6:15) since they don't mind. I like your story about pissing ON the clippings. never imagined lol. But must be dangerous to handle afterwards. "Nooo I touched the clippings!" Just make sure not to fall in them lololol.
If I could justify a 30" push I would but I only have approximately 2 houses- 15 minutes total of using that mower per day..
Once we are done trimming and mowing, were done, we don't really blow the lawn off ever.
We don't go through more than 1 spool per day, and if it needs changing we do it in the truck.
My friend doesn't distract me and he has a good ethic and keeps up pretty well in most cases.
I try to be efficient as possible without being crazy about it. I usually get out my truck and jog to the trailer, as does my friend.

I think you have some differences:
1) your lawns must be smaller, and mine possibly a bit bigger than I think.
2) you have less driving time between lawns.

But still im amazed that you can do as many as you do. I really want to get a ton on the same street/ neighborhood and be done with driving all over the place. Im spending 50%+ time driving which blows. Meaning I could do almost double 25 yards per day. Good for you man. I know you must be doing great.
Do you have a 36" stander or larger?
I have a 36" but will be getting another larger one next year - 61". I know it halve the cutting time, but should help a good deal, plus it goes 2mph faster.

BTW I know a good distributor of wright products that gives a much better price than any other shops I looked at, if youre ever interested PM me ill let you know who it is.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
I spent 16h a day for a year refining every process I use, from unloading, refueling, respooling, route efficiency, and efficient equipment operating techniques. So the sum of all those parts adds up. Keep in mind I was also an international level track athlete so that counts for a bit but isn't the only reason.

You're at 2.27 lawns per hour right now which isn't that far out. Push a little harder and you'll get there. My relaxed pace is about 2.5/h.

The 44 lawn day:
-There are no breaks. Plan out and pack enough calories and food to get you through the first 6h so you can eat while driving. If you can pack enough for the entire day even better. Otherwise you have to stop for fast food which takes time.
-Arrive at the first lawn 15 mins before the noise bylaw allows you to so you get 14 (or for you 11) hours actual working time.
-I find the biggest interruption to my flow is food and bathroom breaks. I use an enclosed trailer and can eliminate "piss stops" because I have a pile of clippings in the trailer. I just close the door and piss on the clippings as they are basically a giant sponge. Saves more time than you think. If you stop 4 times to piss in a day that's time to park, time to walk into a place to go, and time to get back on your route. 15 mins a stop is an hour of total wasted time right there.
-I use TimeMasters as my push mower. Make sure you have at least a 30" mower as it's 1.5x the production of a 20 inch push mower. TimeMasters are self propelled too which is a major fatigue saver. It's not about being a "tougher" worker, it's about being a smarter worker. Fatigue slows down production so we want to eliminate it for that reason, not because we're weak.
-Using "quick fill" style jerry can nozzles (the ones that you just push on the spring to release them) make refuelling quick. I have a 53 liter can that is mounted in my trailer above my mowers so it automatically syphons into my mowers (pusher and rider). Also, I buy like 10 trimmer spools so instead of pulling the spool off the trimming, cutting another line, winding it up, and fitting it back in the trimmer you just take one of your pre-wound spools and throw it in the trimmer and go. Again more small stuff but it's the sum of the parts that adds up.
-While on the topic of the trimmer, remember that it shoots clippings to the left. If you mind your clippings with the mower and always shoot the trimmer clippings onto the lawn you'll never have to walk back to blow the hard surfaces off. If you miss a few clippings on a walkway you can use your trimmer as a blower just running it along the walkway. It won't work for a driveway but it does work on small walkways. Saves you a trip back to the trailer/truck every yard. On 40 yards that adds up.

Mentally: From the time you wake up in the morning the thought process has to be "keep moving", "never stop", and look for every efficiency and "shortcut" that can eliminate steps while still giving the same level of service.

Keep those legs moving. IMO get rid of the helper (unless you have like 150 lawns and need him). There's just so much unrealized dead time with another person standing around, talking, distracting etc. It's all about getting rid of waste, and making sure that every second in that truck on route is working towards the productive goal of cutting grass.

"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Well thanks a lot I really appreciate your insights and am grateful for you sharing.
I have a similar mentality. I am "racing" most of the time. We do not stop for food, eat and drive, no stopping somewhere else to pee. I use a bottle.
I am at 2.27 lawns/ hr, WITH a helper. Like I said a lot of lawns take us 15 minutes. Some take more and a few take less. Driving is about equal, which instead of being able to do 4 lawns per hour (no driving) we do the 2.2. But again that's with a helper.
I have some clients im my neighborhood and I start before the noise ordiance (usually 6:15) since they don't mind. I like your story about pissing ON the clippings. never imagined lol. But must be dangerous to handle afterwards. "Nooo I touched the clippings!" Just make sure not to fall in them lololol.
If I could justify a 30" push I would but I only have approximately 2 houses- 15 minutes total of using that mower per day..
Once we are done trimming and mowing, were done, we don't really blow the lawn off ever.
We don't go through more than 1 spool per day, and if it needs changing we do it in the truck.
My friend doesn't distract me and he has a good ethic and keeps up pretty well in most cases.
I try to be efficient as possible without being crazy about it. I usually get out my truck and jog to the trailer, as does my friend.

I think you have some differences:
1) your lawns must be smaller, and mine possibly a bit bigger than I think.
2) you have less driving time between lawns.

But still im amazed that you can do as many as you do. I really want to get a ton on the same street/ neighborhood and be done with driving all over the place. Im spending 50%+ time driving which blows. Meaning I could do almost double 25 yards per day. Good for you man. I know you must be doing great.
Do you have a 36" stander or larger?
I have a 36" but will be getting another larger one next year - 61". I know it halve the cutting time, but should help a good deal, plus it goes 2mph faster.

BTW I know a good distributor of wright products that gives a much better price than any other shops I looked at, if youre ever interested PM me ill let you know who it is.
Thanks!
Awesome man ya racing is what it's all about. Sounds like we're on the same page and I do have good density. Density of properties is everything for sure. If I wanted to stay in lawn care id take you up on it because I think the Wright is better designed (more compact). I have 2, 36 inch grandstands (1 as backup). When I find another business I wanna sell this one because it's tough on the body. Tough to find something as good as $5K a month for 15-20h a week of work though lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post

The 44 lawn day:

And how many days a week do you do this ? And how many years are you going to keep up the pace ? You still have to clean out the clippings,clean equipment,refuel your tank,respool trimmers.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
And how many days a week do you do this ? And how many years are you going to keep up the pace ? You still have to clean out the clippings,clean equipment,refuel your tank,respool trimmers.
Just one day a week because I'm short on accounts. It's competitive up here. Could do 2-3x per week though and still have 4 day weekends to recover. That would be a list of about 120 lawns.

Cleaning out clippings is a pain in the ass but it's about an hour event (drive, dump, return) per 50 yards depending on growth. Fueling is not much about 15 min for the vehicle only. My 50 liter tank in the trailer combined with full mowers lasts 3-4 weeks so I only have to fill up trailer once a month or just short of a month.

Actual cutting time is 15h. Add in a dump run, ordering parts, changing oil or other week to weed equip maintenance/fixing and it's still not taking more than 20h a week with my current list.

I'm trying to get back into competitive track and field or golf so I'm still training for both of those in the other days per week. Which is why I want to get out of grass cutting so I can have more time and energy to train physically but like I say $75/hr is tough to say no to. Winter is even better at $250-$300/hr depending on snow and it's far less physical.

But if a guy just wanted to work and didn't have extra physical volume (training) they could do 2-3 days a week for 5 months, and take a month off until snow no prob at all. But everything is relative like you're pointing out.

The OP was about standers on small yards and since all I have is small yards, I'm just demonstrating how effective these mowers really are. Not here to brag, the machine is the one that gets the credit for sure.

Last edited by bodaggin; 08-13-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea it's a bit hard on the body, but yea it is enjoyable anda profitable. Density is the key word. I also have 1 day a week mowing ands the rest landscaping. So you must train a lot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

52 inch Wright. Fits in all yards.

36 inch gates don't exist here.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's convenient
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
That's convenient
Posted via Mobile Device
I lied, actually. I have one 36 inch gate on an old apartment building. The back yard takes about 5 minutes to mow with the 21.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds