Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting rid of bentgrass

So I was wondering if anyone can tell me about results you've gotten with Tenacity. I've never really had the need to use the stuff before and am not familiar with it. I have a lot of patches of bentgrass in a tall fescue lawn. The lawn is actually mine (moved into a new house) and just noticed the stuff really spreading rapidly.

I'm planning on maybe late July/early August to start. Is this like treating Bermuda in fescue where its a constant battle with 3 apps per year? Or will it knock this stuff out with an initial treatment and then one follow up?

The good thing is the Tenacity can be applied with seeding or right after if I need a second app. Anyone who could post about this product or your experience with it on undesirable grasses in fescue would be great.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tenacity works very well for us. We typically do 2, maybe 3 apps about 2 or 3 weeks apart starting Aug 1. Followed up by aeration and seeding in Sept. We do probably 15 or 20 properties each year this way. Rate is 5 oz/A.
It some cases we do not get every last bit of bent, but certainly over 95%, in this case we spot spray the following year.
In general it is a very successful strategy.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttinggreens View Post
Tenacity works very well for us. We typically do 2, maybe 3 apps about 2 or 3 weeks apart starting Aug 1. Followed up by aeration and seeding in Sept. We do probably 15 or 20 properties each year this way. Rate is 5 oz/A.
It some cases we do not get every last bit of bent, but certainly over 95%, in this case we spot spray the following year.
In general it is a very successful strategy.
Thank you, I appreciate that info. I'm not planning to blanket app. Got about 13,000 total sq ft. Some areas have "patches" but nothing like complete mats just yet. I've read that's it's best to spray about 1-2 feet out from where the bent appears to end, does that sound accurate?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blanket spray, it is a cheap material.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Blanket spray, it is a cheap material.

Yeah it's not bad at all price wise. However, the spots are spread out and I don't really want to waste time and product just spraying fescue by itself.

So you think early August and then again 3-4 weeks later right before over seeding?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Something else, any success with getting rid of poa annua with this?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not seen any reduction in poa.

We wait 3 weeks max to reapply. You really are not wasting much product treating the entire lawn. Besides, it is very easy to miss a small bentgrass plant or two if you spot spray. Easier to blanket and get damn near all of it the first time. Thats been my experience, certainly the choice is yours. Keep in mind Tenacity will also take out a number of other broadleaf weeds + crabgrass, so a blanket spray picks up some other weeds as well.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have not seen any reduction in poa.

We wait 3 weeks max to reapply. You really are not wasting much product treating the entire lawn. Besides, it is very easy to miss a small bentgrass plant or two if you spot spray. Easier to blanket and get damn near all of it the first time. Thats been my experience, certainly the choice is yours. Keep in mind Tenacity will also take out a number of other broadleaf weeds + crabgrass, so a blanket spray picks up some other weeds as well.
Yeah that's true. Having never used this, I was just a little nervous about the temporary damage it would cause to the desirable fescue.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Puttinggreens, thanks for the help.

Though not for you obviously, I found this info for anyone else that might be following this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tips forTenacity use.pdf (1.88 MB, 26 views)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to keep posting over and over in this thread, but does anyone think using Tenacity for early August turf cleanups over Q4 plus would be a good idea? I've used Q4 plus for several years but Tenacity is much less expensive. Does it perform as well as Q4 on crab grass and nut sedge?