Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you can afford it, and have good people in place to run then business, then go for it. Life is way too short to work it away. Some of the peoples lives are shorter than others. Who knows, your life may be cut off early. Better enjoy it while you can
People don't not understand this on this forum
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
People don't not understand this on this forum
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. This year is the first time I've tried to focus on having a "home life" on the weekends. My wife loves it. Life it way too short.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is extremely hard to balance family life. Being small and not having the luxury of having multiple crews working for you is a burden. What you have to do is pick one day that you will be home. When you are home, you take the baby and let your wife go and get her nails done,go shopping at Walmart, or whatever.

You have to try and keep your wife happy. It's not going to be easy but she'll understand over time. There will be days when she flies off the handle. But don't argue with her. She not mad at you just stressed out sometimes.

Also try and take mini vacations. When you are at work go hard and make lots of money. Don't make the mistake and hire someone to do your job. It's too early and they will try and steal your customers.

Your family life can make or break your business. Take it one day at a time.

Wish you well
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I schedule mowing's Monday thru Thursday. Four 10 hour days to fill.

First reason is make up for rain and breakdowns to be caught up on Friday.

No delays that week built in three day weekends all season. Now I use Friday's and Saturday's for up sell work. And, that is ok because upsell work can always be put off to next week. So that three day weekend is still there for a short vacation.

Where I live snow income can be good to nothing. With me doing Landscape work from March to the end of December. That gives me January, February, and the first half of March to take a long vacation if I did not do snow.

I have to say if my Landscape income was that good I will be tempted to give up snow.

I'm am 60. My sons do not want to work in the business. One son may be going into the police academy by January. He also scored well on the FD test and may get called in a couple of years. He may change his mind and come on board to eventually take over PT.

So being that I am solo and with growth rate slow I may never grow large enough to have key people under me to run things to have a summer vacation. This is another reason why I may be giving up snow.

Plan a good system and you will have balance in your life.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

We always just take vacations during the winter. I normally leave the house at 7am and return at 9pm 6 days a week. If we have had a lot of rain then I make it 7 days a week. Take time off when you can but you have to remember that business is business and if you want to make it thrive you have to make sacrifices. Hard work now will pay off down the road. Just a few years ago I was mowing and has 3 other jobs and still managed to go to school. While it was hard and at times not a lot of fun it did pay off.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelMowing View Post
We always just take vacations during the winter. I normally leave the house at 7am and return at 9pm 6 days a week. If we have had a lot of rain then I make it 7 days a week. Take time off when you can but you have to remember that business is business and if you want to make it thrive you have to make sacrifices. Hard work now will pay off down the road. Just a few years ago I was mowing and has 3 other jobs and still managed to go to school. While it was hard and at times not a lot of fun it did pay off.
Why work like that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Why work like that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Why not? When I'm not working I want to work. When I'm working I am having fun.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel sorry for you Grassmasters. Its hard enough trying to run a biz, without the wife nagging. She likes to travel, where does she think the money comes from to enable her to do that
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Business 101... Truely successful business owner will build up his business and have systems and people in place where the owner can work ON his business NOT IN it. This allows you to step away for vacations. This will not be easy for someone running a really small operation or a solo company that wishes to stay that way. I worked for a very successful company at one work of my life where the owner took 4 week vacation once per year. It took him 20 years of hardworking to make it to that point. But it is doable in this industry and done by many owners
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I feel sorry for you Grassmasters. Its hard enough trying to run a biz, without the wife nagging. She likes to travel, where does she think the money comes from to enable her to do that
Well, that is what dating is for ie to see if you two are compatible. If he wanted a "home body" then he should have married one. He married a woman with a "traveling jones" in her blood So get with it or get the wallet out and pay alimony/ child support--which is cheaper? A vacation or two a year or a divorce? Besides, he can have fun too on vacation. Divorce isn't fun at all from what I hear