Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

4 more pictures coming
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

The rest of the neighborhood is nice and green. I found out the lawn was seeded when planted, not rolled. It just looks like sod that hasn't taken, I can put my hand into the turf and even pull out the green stuff without really any struggle.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You mean pull out the roots like a take all fungal condition?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't see any type of lesions on any of the blades in the pics that you took. Also, since you said it was sodded and that you are able to pick the turf up by hand easily, I would lean towards it never rooting properly after install. Either lack of water or lack or root to soil contact (air pockets). Of course, that's just a guess.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

It kind of looks like dollar spots but the over all condition of the roots makes me second guess. Have you ever seen sod planted that didn't take? It looks like that when you can pull at it easily enough when you get a hand under it. Is there something specific on the blade I can look for with dollar spots?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Ron, I was told that it was seeded, not rolled out. which has me really just scratching my head cause I've never seen roots like this in anything other than rolled sod that didn't take.

I treated the lawn for grubs because another area of the lawn was destroyed by grubs so I treated that area with dylox and used dylox as a preventative measure on other areas near the infected area.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable1387 View Post
It kind of looks like dollar spots but the over all condition of the roots makes me second guess. Have you ever seen sod planted that didn't take? It looks like that when you can pull at it easily enough when you get a hand under it. Is there something specific on the blade I can look for with dollar spots?
http://extension.missouri.edu/p/IPM1029-8
Old 06-12-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That lawn looks like it's lacking water. I don't really see too much in the way of fungus issues as there's no signs of them on the blades. It's also too early in the season for Summer Patch and the conditions haven't been seen yet for that disease. Is the lawn irrigated and if so, are the heads covering all areas? A good way to check would be to place cereal bowls around the lawn and run the different zones for 15 or 20 minutes to see if they're capturing water at the same rates. If the lawn is not irrigated, do you think they're watering adequately? It's very difficult for people to babysit sprinklers throughout the day! I live down by Cape Cod and we keep getting ripped off on rainfall in our area. With the exception of last Thursday's downpours, we haven't gotten anything in well over a month. All the lawns are burning up - even the ones with irrigation as most people don't have them set for long enough periods of time.

As for being able to pull it up rather easily with not much rooting taking place, that is an indication that watering is not being done deeply and infrequently. Watering daily for short periods of time does not allow for deep root growth.

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 06-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cobra makes a good point. Has rain been almost zero?
Maybe the fine fescue has gone brown due to dryness, while the ryegrass and quackgrass are still green. Fine fescue browns out quick during dry spells, does well in shade, though.
Odd, on the far left of one of the pictures--I see a straight line of brown about 4 feet wide--suggesting a human cause.
Do you have a moisture meter?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/1606...re-Light-Meter

You might try the screwdriver test for moisture. Push it into the soil. 4 inches deep=very moist. 3 inches= fine, 2 inches=adequate. Less than 2 inches=too dry.
Compare with nearby green lawns.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 06-12-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: ps
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
That lawn looks like it's lacking water. I don't really see too much in the way of fungus issues as there's no signs of them on the blades. It's also too early in the season for Summer Patch and the conditions haven't been seen yet for that disease. Is the lawn irrigated and if so, are the heads covering all areas? A good way to check would be to place cereal bowls around the lawn and run the different zones for 15 or 20 minutes to see if they're capturing water at the same rates. If the lawn is not irrigated, do you think they're watering adequately? It's very difficult for people to babysit sprinklers throughout the day! I live down by Cape Cod and we keep getting ripped off on rainfall in our area. With the exception of last Thursday's downpours, we haven't gotten anything in well over a month. All the lawns are burning up - even the ones with irrigation as most people don't have them set for long enough periods of time.

As for being able to pull it up rather easily with not much rooting taking place, that is an indication that watering is not being done deeply and infrequently. Watering daily for short periods of time does not allow for deep root growth.
We've had tons of rain up here in North central mass. Tons of rain. Literally the rest of the development is fine. I really think it's the roots that are the cause. When you get into the soil below the roots it's moist and rich but the roots just aren't getting to it. Short of balanced fertilizer and time I don't know a short term help to promote root growth. In the areas that were grub damaged I've seeded with starter fertilizer and it's all coming in awesome. Still just scratching my head I'm literally the only pro on the street and the only lawn with brown spots
Posted via Mobile Device