Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How to get emloyees to have pride in their work

I have 5 employees that work for me. 2 of them have been with me for over 2 years. For some reason, all the guys are just going through the motions this year. Does not seem that they care about their work. How do I motivate them. Their pay is in line with what their experience is. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctland08 View Post
I have 5 employees that work for me. 2 of them have been with me for over 2 years. For some reason, all the guys are just going through the motions this year. Does not seem that they care about their work. How do I motivate them. Their pay is in line with what their experience is. Any help is appreciated.
Thought about asking them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Simple, you have a team meeting and point our some good things they do then you go over your concern for quality. Let them know what quality in detail you expect then ask what are their concerns going forward. Keep it corporate and you will grow fast. Sounds like you need to develop your company culture.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have talked with them about concerns and complaints that I have received. Seems to go in one ear and out the other.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guys I've talked to you in the past, stressed my concerns and it seems to go in one ear and out the other. You've forced my hand and I need to let you go. You don't have what it takes to be with our company. Here's your checks. That's what I would say. However you need systems in place for new hires. Proper training, meetings,checklist and what they can expect from you and what you expect from them. Everyone you hire should have good morale and a clear head on their shoulders. Hope this helps. Go start the process. To your current guys stress it one last time. I believe in last chances. When you have good company morale the sky is the limit. People want to work in a great environment.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have talked with them about concerns and complaints that I have received. Seems to go in one ear and out the other.
Have you asked them why they don't care with the expectation of a honest answer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I feel that I have my hands tied. Seems like there is not too many people to choose from in this field to replace any one. The more owners I have talked to they say the same thing. I plan on talking to them this afternoon to find out what's up. I have been in this field for almost 27 years. Owned my company now going into my 7th season. Seems like no one wants to take on responsibility any more and just show up for a check.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Have you asked them why they don't care with the expectation of a honest answer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Great question to ask!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I feel that I have my hands tied. Seems like there is not too many people to choose from in this field to replace any one. The more owners I have talked to they say the same thing. I plan on talking to them this afternoon to find out what's up. I have been in this field for almost 27 years. Owned my company now going into my 7th season. Seems like no one wants to take on responsibility any more and just show up for a check.
How much are you paying?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
See the post about pointing out the good. You need to point out what they do well also. Team morale will go down if all you do is discuss concerns and complaints. Although my experience with employees isn't in lawn care, it's people regardless of industry. You need to point out more good than bad, reward good work somehow and dip not accept sub-par work. Use a written warning system that escalates as needed (helps you win unemployment cases too) and make sure that you address your concerns in these sessions add well as what you expect and ask the employee why they are not performing as expected and ask how you can help them get there. Give them a timeline for follow-up. Be sure to be professional about it.
Posted via Mobile Device