Register free!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Removing Sod For Renovation

I have been taking care of our softball diamonds for about 5 years now, always having to borrow equipment. This spring I went out and got my own equipment, a Kubota L3800 tractor, Land Pride power rake, Land Pride tiller, Land PRide 3 point seeder and box scraper. I am doing some landscapre work on the side to help pay for it. I have to give a quote to a guy who wants his established lawn out, leveled and re-seeded. I am looking at about 1 3/4 acre, so it is a big area. I have done some smaller size areas and used the power rake to tear up the sod and level the area. The sod is a real pain to have to rake up and take off. What is the best way to go about getting rid of the sod? I was told to spray it all with roundup and let it sit for 2-3 weeks to make sure the grass is killed all the way through the roots and this would help the sod break up better. Is this correct? I had a spot in my back yard I wanted to level , so I sprayed it the other day and will leave it go for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes. I know I will have to take some sod off anyhow, but if it breaks up so Im not taking ogg big clumps and so much dirt to, that would be a big help. I can wind row it with the power rake, then pick it up. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Best take a mower and scalp it
Rear tine tiller run over it and over it Then wait 3-4 days and then till it again

Not sure about your tiller mine I can change the gear box and I can make mine run like a 1,000 pto very high speed

I do it all the time this way for years
Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That rake wont do what a tiller can do I wouldnt use the rake till you used the tiller few passes first
I know some people loves them rakes but I care less to own one
to me they are worthless
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Rakes are worthless to those who can rake i would scalp, kill, till and rake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wont recommend using herbicides. You would have to rent a sod stripper gas powered, or even better a larger bobcat / mini skid steer that can dig off the top layer about 3 inches. For an area that large I might charge $.75/ sq ft, or possibly $50 including haul away price which is very expensive if you have to dump it somewhere and pay for it. Then roll the lawn with a lawn roller, adding topsoil / compost where needed to level it out. Then overseed obviously.
Alternately you may be able to skip the step of removing all the old turf, and just fill in the low spots and use the lawn roller on those specific spots. Then overseed. That is a huge job. Good luck
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
I wont recommend using herbicides. You would have to rent a sod stripper gas powered, or even better a larger bobcat / mini skid steer that can dig off the top layer about 3 inches. For an area that large I might charge $.75/ sq ft, or possibly $50 including haul away price which is very expensive if you have to dump it somewhere and pay for it. Then roll the lawn with a lawn roller, adding topsoil / compost where needed to level it out. Then overseed obviously.
Alternately you may be able to skip the step of removing all the old turf, and just fill in the low spots and use the lawn roller on those specific spots. Then overseed. That is a huge job. Good luck
Using a Skid or mini to cut sod off would be long way doing this
Might be a huge job to a person that doesn't have right equipment do the job
Hate tell you that's a med size job

The OP does have all the right equipment
Old 06-12-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How many sf is 1 3/4 acre? That would be a massive haul off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
How many sf is 1 3/4 acre? That would be a massive haul off
Posted via Mobile Device
Roughly 76k sqft. That's a lot of old turf to dispose of.

To OP. has a soil test been done to reveal the reason wht the current turf is not thriving?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Roughly 76k sqft. That's a lot of old turf to dispose of.

To OP. has a soil test been done to reveal the reason wht the current turf is not thriving?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think if I accept this job, I will end up spraying the entire lawn and leave it 2-3 weeks then power rake it. I know I will have sod to take off but am told it should break up better and be more manageable.

The owner wants it all redone because the part around his house that was actually seeded was a half-ass done job by the contractor who built the house and is rough/bumpy when he mows it. I suggested getting it rolled to see if that helps first but he dont want that, he just wants it all redone. The back pack was leveled and dont think it was seeded, looks to be weeds that they just kept mowed. By looking at his house and the sub division he lives in, i dont think cost is an issue. If I choose to do it, I need to figure out what to charge. I may be on my own for a share of it. My son will help for some. I was also told it had a fair amount of rocks in that soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

kajun has a good point. soil tests cost $10-$25. charge them $60 and do it. Find a lab that can email you results within a few days.
Just remember dirt weighs around 1 TON (2000LB) per cubic yard. If you have to pay to dump this could be a LOT of money just for that alone. It sounds like this guy may think that youre a small part time contractor and thinks you'll be able to do it for dirt cheap.
I wonder if by tilling the yard 2 or 3 passes you can get the grass ground up enough to be smooth when adding topsoil that will prevent you from having to take anything away.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda