Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For those of you who run Plugr 800's or the Ryan 28 aerators your marketing approach?

Yes...for those who run the aerators that will clearly out pull standard drum style aerators in a single pass....what has been your most effective aproach is selling YOUR service vs others.

Generally my experience has been price point is the leading factor. Some do get that More Plugs is actually better than fewer. You'd be surprised on the number of blank stares I have gotten over the years...on the more plugs angle.

On more than a few occasions folks in the biz have said, sell the sizzle of the service and NOT what kind of machine is used".

Being a technical person by nature this has never made sense to me.

Let's hear your experiences.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The quality of the job is what sells not the machine used.
Just because your machine pulls x plugs in one pass does not mean that someone else won't pull more plugs in two passes. The only benefit is to you being able to provide service to more customers per day.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
The quality of the job is what sells not the machine used.
Just because your machine pulls x plugs in one pass does not mean that someone else won't pull more plugs in two passes. The only benefit is to you being able to provide service to more customers per day.
i agree...how valuable is your time, do you have 20 lawns to cover in a day or are you chasing a couple of lawns to make a couple hundred bucks?

but id like to hear the marketing approach nonetheless
Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My point is, to a customer what difference does the machine your using make?
Why waste time and advertising space to educate a customer that your aerator pulls more plugs per pass?
All they want to know is that you will provide them with a valuable service for reasonable fee.
The equipment has no bearing on marketing methods to a consumer.
Service level is what matters.

How about this when you aerate are you broadcasting seed also?
If so what makes the seed your using better then the seed another is using?
That has potential marketing implications by explaining the benefit to that.
If you advertise that you aerate and broadcast bullseye tall fescue where your competitors use something cheaper, that is something a customer can place a value on.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

"more plugs" with the 855. Side by side pictures of PLUGr vs Ryan or Bluebird. Sells itself, no brainer.

I have never had a customer switch back to my cheaper competitors once they see what my 855 does. Usually, I pick up a neighbor with every aeration job I do. I would like to say it is just my wonderful personality and great customer service but people can clearly see the difference in amount of plugs.

Also, I DO NOT WANT nor do I continue to do business with people who are cheapskates who lack common sense. If they think comparing a bluebird single pass vs a PLUGR 855 is comparing apples to apples, then they are definitely someone I do not want to do business with. Too many good customers out there to try to educate fools.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turf Guys View Post
"more plugs" with the 855. Side by side pictures of PLUGr vs Ryan or Bluebird. Sells itself, no brainer.

I have never had a customer switch back to my cheaper competitors once they see what my 855 does. Usually, I pick up a neighbor with every aeration job I do. I would like to say it is just my wonderful personality and great customer service but people can clearly see the difference in amount of plugs.

Also, I DO NOT WANT nor do I continue to do business with people who are cheapskates who lack common sense. If they think comparing a bluebird single pass vs a PLUGR 855 is comparing apples to apples, then they are definitely someone I do not want to do business with. Too many good customers out there to try to educate fools.
Your last point is sadly true for many. One of the biggest frustrations in this biz is the concept of what is better or best vs what 90% of the other operators in the biz provide. More than a few times I have heard folk say well yeah your machine pulls more plugs but the other Co. was cheaper. It's often tough to get 1.5X the mow rate here.

I'd say only 30% really comprehend more plugs is more benefit and a greater value.

Broadcasting seed with a single pass of a drum style aerator is not a real over-seed.

Again the term over-seed is thrown out there and clients have quoted me crazy dirt cheap rates for an over seed. Meanwhile my over seed is 3 passes min with Plugr [not much turf left], seed, verticut 2 directions followed by a gritty dirty break up mowing...to make the plugs disappear. Lawn looks horrid and torn up. Again ping pong ball vs. Billy Goats.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your looking for marketing approach.
I didn't say broadcasting seed was over seeding, it's a marketing approach.
Advertising better results because of better products used.
Don't confuse the service you are marketing with the equipment you are using.
In cool season turf aerating and broad casting a quality seed will increase the quality of a lawn.
Slice seeding a lawn is more of a renovation.
You can market the benefits of both.
Two different services it's up to you to sell the one that will most benefit a customers lawn.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
Your looking for marketing approach.
I didn't say broadcasting seed was over seeding, it's a marketing approach.
Advertising better results because of better products used.
Don't confuse the service you are marketing with the equipment you are using.
In cool season turf aerating and broad casting a quality seed will increase the quality of a lawn.
Slice seeding a lawn is more of a renovation.
You can market the benefits of both.
Two different services it's up to you to sell the one that will most benefit a customers lawn.
I hear what you are saying. My point is the percent of germination is challenged with just a single pass aeration and a broadcast seeding. If one is going to spend $ on high quality seed...it might be best to ensure a higher percentage of the seed takes root.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You asked for marketing approach, not a debate on one pass and broad casting.
You are the only one talking about one pass.
I offered a marketing approach that can and does provide sales.