Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2014, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x View Post
I don't know how different things are between PA and MD whiffy, but my parents own a business where we drive both class B and class A combination vehicles. I pull a triaxle backhoe trailer with an f-350, we spoke directly to a DOT officer, and since the trailer is RATED for over 10k, it actually requires a class A cdl to pull it with the f-350. Once again, this came directly from a DOT officer, I know in the handbook it does say otherwise, but we spoke to multiple officers to find out. Just my two cents.
You're dot officer is an idiot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is a problem with some people here on lawnsite.

I not know how a person can sleep at night and live with their self after telling a fellow member that they are wrong and don't know anything when we have seen it first hand and DO know.

I have a family member that is retired from PAs MVA. He was a commercial vehicle examiner at the Gettysburg office, the Altoona office. Sometimes the Harrisburg office, and the chambersburg office. He is the one that informed me of this law THAT DOES EXIST.

I have friends in MD that have been issued citations for pulling a gooseneck flatbed with a pick up without a class a.

Do you think I don't have anything better to do than to sit here and type up bullsh--?

If you don't believe that such a law exists in MD - then before you say another word - go to a local scale house and ask the sergeant about the law. He/she will tell you all you want to know.

Don't be an ugly person to your fellow lawnsite members who have seen firsthand and know.

Ask a MD dot inspector. Go in person. Or call a scale house.

If you don't want to believe me then go buy your 14,000 pound trailer and pull it with your pick up truck. Doesn't matter to me if you don't believe me. Go ahead live your life how you want. No sweat off my back. Just hope and pray that 4 yrs from now the DOT isn't sitting on the side of the road waiting for you at 6:30 am.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 06-21-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
This is a problem with some people here on lawnsite.

I not know how a person can sleep at night and live with their self after telling a fellow member that they are wrong and don't know anything when we have seen it first hand and DO know.

I have a family member that is retired from PAs MVA. He was a commercial vehicle examiner at the Gettysburg office, the Altoona office. Sometimes the Harrisburg office, and the chambersburg office. He is the one that informed me of this law THAT DOES EXIST.

I have friends in MD that have been issued citations for pulling a gooseneck flatbed with a pick up without a class a.

Do you think I don't have anything better to do than to sit here and type up bullsh--?

If you don't believe that such a law exists in MD - then before you say another word - go to a local scale house and ask the sergeant about the law. He/she will tell you all you want to know.

Don't be an ugly person to your fellow lawnsite members who have seen firsthand and know.

Ask a MD dot inspector. Go in person. Or call a scale house.

If you don't want to believe me then go buy your 14,000 pound trailer and pull it with your pick up truck. Doesn't matter to me if you don't believe me. Go ahead live your life how you want. No sweat off my back. Just hope and pray that 4 yrs from now the DOT isn't sitting on the side of the road waiting for you at 6:30 am.
Posted via Mobile Device
Like I said. We just gave you proof.

The law does not exist. It's in black in white figure 1.1 page 6

I pull a 16k trailer with a pickup truck. There is NO law that says I CANNOT do that. If you get a ticket take it to court and it WILL get thrown out

You're family member is simply misinformed.

I don't have any problem sleeping at night. I have a problem with people giving out the wrong information

And just so you know dvs. I have a family member that is a state trooper here in maryland. He's confirmed it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey whiffyspark, please refer to page i of your first link. Same as us here in PA.. Your class C license only allows you to drive a vehicle under 26k and a towed vehicle (trailer) of less then 10k.

Here is the excerpt from your handbook:

Class C License: Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehicle less than 26,001 pounds GVWR; or
any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR,...
Old 06-22-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtec View Post
Hey whiffyspark, please refer to page i of your first link. Same as us here in PA.. Your class C license only allows you to drive a vehicle under 26k and a towed vehicle (trailer) of less then 10k.

Here is the excerpt from your handbook:

Class C License: Authorizes the licensee to operate any single vehicle less than 26,001 pounds GVWR; or
any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR,...
Class c is for a bus bro
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2014, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR, and is designed to transport 16
or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous
for the purpose of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which requires the motor vehicle to be
placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations.

Nothing to do with a pick up here.

Okay and here's class A for those who lack reading comprehension

Class A License: Authorizes the licensee to operate Tractor/Trailer or Combination of vehicles with a GCWR
of 26,001 or more pounds
ifthe GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds

Read that real slowly. You'll figure it out eventually
Old 06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

According to your handbook, their "CDL for dummies" diagram on Pg 6 does not explicitly state that you need a CDL of any class for a pickup and over 10k trailer but their law states that your class C license only allows you to tow a vehicle not exceeding 10k. I can assure you no DOT office will care about any "loopholes". I would highly suggest reading the FMCSR green book as well to ensure your compliant with all Federal regulations as well as state. Federal DOT inspectors can AND WILL take a truck or trailer out of service until the issue is corrected.

All of these Federal Motor Carrier regulations and state CDL laws were implemented for the commercial trucking industry but are now applied fully to the small landscapers and contractors. Most of them are ridiculous and hard to apply to the smaller trucks / combo vehicles but that doesn't stop the DOT officers from pulling your vehicles out of service and writing a few thousand in tickets.

Oh and p.s. At the DOT stops you may (will) run into, they (a federal DOT inspector) have the right to search your vehicle without cause if you fall into the "commercial motor vehicle" category which most pickups with trailers do. For a landscaper this means that nice enclosed trailer hiding all the unsecured mowers and equipment can be searched without cause, and tickets will be written for each piece of equipment that is not properly secured as per section 393 of the FMCSR.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup were all complaint.

The fact of the matter is I understand the law and most people do not. I pull a 16k trailer with a 10k pickup on the beltway everyday. Absolutely no issues whatsoever.

The law is stated in black in white in front of you're face

A class C license is NOT for a truck, unless of course it's hazmat
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I am reading through your MVA website and it appears your license codes are the same as PA. A class C non-commercial license is the lowest, standard class. The P and S endorsements are for buses. You are not listening to two people who have experienced the DOT inspection process (DVS in your state!) but you are still ignorant to the facts. Again, I suggest you get a copy of the FMCSR green book and go speak with a DOT inspector in your state (probably a local police officer or state trooper) and get the facts from them. I would also suggest not calling them "bro".