Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtec View Post
I am reading through your MVA website and it appears your license codes are the same as PA. A class C non-commercial license is the lowest, standard class. The P and S endorsements are for buses. You are not listening to two people who have experienced the DOT inspection process (DVS in your state!) but you are still ignorant to the facts. Again, I suggest you get a copy of the FMCSR green book and go speak with a DOT inspector in your state (probably a local police officer or state trooper) and get the facts from them. I would also suggest not calling them "bro".
I have. I even have one in my family. Y'all lack reading comprehension it's that simple
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-23-2014, 02:49 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtec View Post
According to your handbook, their "CDL for dummies" diagram on Pg 6 does not explicitly state that you need a CDL of any class for a pickup and over 10k trailer but their law states that your class C license only allows you to tow a vehicle not exceeding 10k. I can assure you no DOT office will care about any "loopholes". I would highly suggest reading the FMCSR green book as well to ensure your compliant with all Federal regulations as well as state. Federal DOT inspectors can AND WILL take a truck or trailer out of service until the issue is corrected.

All of these Federal Motor Carrier regulations and state CDL laws were implemented for the commercial trucking industry but are now applied fully to the small landscapers and contractors. Most of them are ridiculous and hard to apply to the smaller trucks / combo vehicles but that doesn't stop the DOT officers from pulling your vehicles out of service and writing a few thousand in tickets.

Oh and p.s. At the DOT stops you may (will) run into, they (a federal DOT inspector) have the right to search your vehicle without cause if you fall into the "commercial motor vehicle" category which most pickups with trailers do. For a landscaper this means that nice enclosed trailer hiding all the unsecured mowers and equipment can be searched without cause, and tickets will be written for each piece of equipment that is not properly secured as per section 393 of the FMCSR.
I'd highly suggest YOU read that little green book! Cuz you are wrong here.

Maybe you could read it to DVS .
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
This is a problem with some people here on lawnsite.

I not know how a person can sleep at night and live with their self after telling a fellow member that they are wrong and don't know anything when we have seen it first hand and DO know.

I have a family member that is retired from PAs MVA. He was a commercial vehicle examiner at the Gettysburg office, the Altoona office. Sometimes the Harrisburg office, and the chambersburg office. He is the one that informed me of this law THAT DOES EXIST.

I have friends in MD that have been issued citations for pulling a gooseneck flatbed with a pick up without a class a.

Do you think I don't have anything better to do than to sit here and type up bullsh--?

If you don't believe that such a law exists in MD - then before you say another word - go to a local scale house and ask the sergeant about the law. He/she will tell you all you want to know.

Don't be an ugly person to your fellow lawnsite members who have seen firsthand and know.

Ask a MD dot inspector. Go in person. Or call a scale house.

If you don't want to believe me then go buy your 14,000 pound trailer and pull it with your pick up truck. Doesn't matter to me if you don't believe me. Go ahead live your life how you want. No sweat off my back. Just hope and pray that 4 yrs from now the DOT isn't sitting on the side of the road waiting for you at 6:30 am.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've got no problem sleeping at night telling you that you are wrong because you are WRONG!!!!

If your cop is always right then why do we need lawyers, judges and courts?

Well the cop said guilty so I guess go straight to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Just think of all the money we could save if we didn't have all these courts etc.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 AM
neversatisfiedj's Avatar
neversatisfiedj neversatisfiedj is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampstead,MD
Posts: 987
Why does that fact that it is a gooseneck as opposed to a bumper pull trailer that requires you to have class A CDL ?

I have a fifth wheel rv that weighs well over 10k# .
__________________
Josh

Creative Hardscapes
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversatisfiedj View Post
Why does that fact that it is a gooseneck as opposed to a bumper pull trailer that requires you to have class A CDL ?

I have a fifth wheel rv that weighs well over 10k# .
It doesn't make any difference however chances are if it's a GN it's quite likely to be heavy enough to put it and it's tow into CDL territory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
It doesn't make any difference however chances are if it's a GN it's quite likely to be heavy enough to put it and it's tow into CDL territory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most are 14-16k

Unless it's a dual tandem
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversatisfiedj View Post
Why does that fact that it is a gooseneck as opposed to a bumper pull trailer that requires you to have class A CDL ?

I have a fifth wheel rv that weighs well over 10k# .
What trailer are you looking at and what truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 PM
neversatisfiedj's Avatar
neversatisfiedj neversatisfiedj is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hampstead,MD
Posts: 987
14x7 dump pulling with Ram 3500 DRW
__________________
Josh

Creative Hardscapes
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,415
Trailer is probably 14k what's gvwr on truck 10k?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,909
Why do you think there is so much grey area and disinformation around regarding the DOT rules and regs?

$$$$$$$$$
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.50516 seconds with 7 queries