Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2003, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Free classifieds

I would first like to say I'm thirlled w/ some of the new fourms and seemingly new look this site is begining to take on. That being said I know bills have to be paid but, as I look at the lawnsite equiptment market place it seems to be slim pickings. I doubt I'm the only person on this site who has tools collecting dust that I wouldn't mind selling or trading to free up some space but, $18 for a text ad that may only get looked at by ten people doesn't seem worth it to me. I visit several car sites and the free classifieds seem to be what draws people to them. It has also help me get to know alot of the other folks who frequent the site and gotten me out of several jams parts wise. Just wanted to throw the idea out there and I thank all the sponsors and members that give us this fourm to teach and learn this great business.

-Dave
Old 03-25-2003, 04:33 PM

Dave,

I think you are right....a lot of people probably have a lot of things they'd like to unload...one man's junk is another man's treasure!

I know $18 was the set up before and $36 I think for a picture. The only problem with making it free is this....

If A LOT of people take advantage of this, it starts to take up room on the site (which isn't a bad thing) except for when it comes time to upgrade the server and it's capabilities to meet the needs of the site.

Maybe we can set it up so it is very inexpensive - enough to cover the cost.....

What do you think?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take this the wrong way.

Some thoughts to think about:

It may be interesting to see what the moderator of that forum Turfquip might have to say regarding free classified ads.

Great idea, I agree, but bandwidth is not free and it does take time to post new ads, check the ads for correctness, remove them once sold or payment time as expired.
Example: If ads were free, the lets say 100 new ads popped up over night, that is itself would make full a full time job for someone to check with the seller to make sure the item was still for sale.

All of the above taking time from what could be done bringing in income by someone.

Besides the items mentioned above, what if you were a dealer paying money to advertise on Lawnsite, and a member got to place an ad for free to sell his used equipment.

Don't mean to discourage you, keep the ideas coming.

Rick
Old 03-25-2003, 05:57 PM

Very good points by Rick.

Time would certainly be an issue.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It can have a thread format, like any other, so people can ask questions about the item. Seems to work on the other lawn related forums.
Crawdad