Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-14-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Gravely Pro Stance 36

Have any of you had a chance to use one?

I am getting a demo on one soon and am really excited! My hope is that I can almost replace my 21's. I know that in most places we will be able to but we have some hills that I think may be a struggle for the Pro Stance unless the walk behind mode works really well.

Does anyone have feedback on this? How is the QOC? If you had the choice would you go with a 36" stander or a 36" walkbehind?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It should be a excellent machine all around.

But you want a 36" why any particular reason?

How big are all your yards?

48" is where I draw the line between spending a lot of cash, never went below 48" except for the old push mower.

The WB would be a good option if you're not covering huge distances and cheaper if you plan on buying multiple units.

Pro-stance starts @ $7099

PW Hydro $5759

PW Gear Drive $3539

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-14-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking at 36" because we have a few HOA's that require we push the fronts and sides of each lot. Somewhere around 60 homes. They are all postage stamp size and can not handle anything bigger than a 36".
The vast majority of our properties are 1/2-3 acres so we use the Pro Turn 460 and ZTHD 60. We are also expanding into an area that has many small lots that would require a small mower. My plan is to split into two crews and have a large property crew and a small property crew.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay I was thinking you just used smaller mower and push mowers, the Pro-Stance is a excellent machine but for smaller properties I myself would go the less cost efficient way of a Gear or Hydro WB instead of making that huge jump in price for a 36" Pro Stance.

Just my opinion.

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
Looking at 36" because we have a few HOA's that require we push the fronts and sides of each lot. Somewhere around 60 homes. They are all postage stamp size and can not handle anything bigger than a 36".
The vast majority of our properties are 1/2-3 acres so we use the Pro Turn 460 and ZTHD 60. We are also expanding into an area that has many small lots that would require a small mower. My plan is to split into two crews and have a large property crew and a small property crew.

Wait… the HOA requires that you push the front and sides?

What does the requirements say… exactly?
because I don't think anyone considers a stander mower "push" mowing.

does it say no large decks?
Are YOU thinking it can take anything larger than a 36?
Does the requirements SAY anything?

The way you have it worded it sounds like the HOA has stipulated something.

I would definitely go with a walk behind mower.
It's hard to justify the price of a stander mower with a 36" deck, unless you are already running a fleet of standers, or you need a 36" mower and don't have a lot of trailer space.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one the other day at my dealer and they look REALLY nice. I can't justify the cost as I don't have any properties with a gate I can't fit my 48 through and I won't take any either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Wait… the HOA requires that you push the front and sides?

What does the requirements say… exactly?
because I don't think anyone considers a stander mower "push" mowing.

does it say no large decks?
Are YOU thinking it can take anything larger than a 36?
Does the requirements SAY anything?

The way you have it worded it sounds like the HOA has stipulated something.

I would definitely go with a walk behind mower.
It's hard to justify the price of a stander mower with a 36" deck, unless you are already running a fleet of standers, or you need a 36" mower and don't have a lot of trailer space.
We have a gat relationship with these HOA's. The larger one in particular we had a meeting with this spring... a little history first... this HOA is still developing and adding homes. The builder/developer handled everything last year and only paid us enough justify running our large ztr's on the property. After speaking with many of the homeowners they were quite disappointed in how the properties looked, and they should have been, the tiny fronts and sides could not handle e large mowers, mainly because the lawns are small, odd shaped and many have opposing slopes in each yard so you would get some scalping depending on which direction you were mowing. I told the homeowners that we would love to use smaller mowers and push the fronts and sides so that it would look great but it would take money because I would have to justify having my guys spend a lot more time there. So this spring we had a meeting and discussed pricing to have us push or use small equipment on the fronts and sides and we came to an agreement on pricing. This has worked out great because we are making more money, the properties look awesome and the homeowners are extremely happy.
As we have continued to gain new accounts this year we are picking up a lot in an area that has only tiny lake lots... lots of trees and small old building and cabins on these lots. So ESE also need to be done with small equipment.
My thinking is that by spending a few thousand more to go to a stander vs a walkbehind, I would keep my guys happier because the work is easier. Plus wouldn't it be much faster on a stander vs a walk behind, which would allow us to take on more accounts?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$4000 more for each unit really worth the chance of keeping guys happier?

Are they reliable, new, old workers?

I wouldn't dish out that kind of money for 36" 's unless I was filthy rich, those prices I listed are base 36" inch starting prices

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
We have a gat relationship with these HOA's. The larger one in particular we had a meeting with this spring... a little history first... this HOA is still developing and adding homes. The builder/developer handled everything last year and only paid us enough justify running our large ztr's on the property. After speaking with many of the homeowners they were quite disappointed in how the properties looked, and they should have been, the tiny fronts and sides could not handle e large mowers, mainly because the lawns are small, odd shaped and many have opposing slopes in each yard so you would get some scalping depending on which direction you were mowing. I told the homeowners that we would love to use smaller mowers and push the fronts and sides so that it would look great but it would take money because I would have to justify having my guys spend a lot more time there. So this spring we had a meeting and discussed pricing to have us push or use small equipment on the fronts and sides and we came to an agreement on pricing. This has worked out great because we are making more money, the properties look awesome and the homeowners are extremely happy.
As we have continued to gain new accounts this year we are picking up a lot in an area that has only tiny lake lots... lots of trees and small old building and cabins on these lots. So ESE also need to be done with small equipment.
My thinking is that by spending a few thousand more to go to a stander vs a walkbehind, I would keep my guys happier because the work is easier. Plus wouldn't it be much faster on a stander vs a walk behind, which would allow us to take on more accounts?
The trouble is you keep mixing the terminology of "push" and smaller equipment.

I know there are ALOT of customers out there (and this number is growing by the way) that expect AND want you to actually use a PUSH mower.

so if you are promising and they are expecting push mowers and you show up with these standers, you could be rushing down the rapids of contract cancelation.

Sure, standers are 'easier' but they come with most of the draw backs of a rider. Which the worst of is turf damage in small areas due to tire turning.
Guys just want to whip around in them to be quick, but since the areas are so small and alternating patterns are less likely, week after week they are whipping around in the same area and tearing up the turf.

Walk behinds don't do this anywhere near a much, and the slower speed keeps the guys thinking and paying attention.
All in all quality is better with the walk behind mower.

a 36" stander is best for "This is what I can fit on my trailer" and "this is what I can fit through a gate"

Tight front HOA areas mean walking it.
Prowalks are way better than push mowing any day.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
$4000 more for each unit really worth the chance of keeping guys happier?

Are they reliable, new, old workers?

I wouldn't dish out that kind of money for 36" 's unless I was filthy rich, those prices I listed are base 36" inch starting prices
Very reliable and been with me for quite a while. One guy will be a foreman when I split into two crews, he alone is worth the extra money. But I am not worried about him leaving as I pay him very well. But he is worth every penny.
As far as the dollars go we are talking about $3000 difference on the high end if you are talking about a gear drive walk behind vs a stander. If you went with a walk behind wouldnt you want to go with hydros? If not, why? If you said go hydros they are over $5500 and my dealer says my invoice on the 36" Pro Stance would be around $6500, so we are only talking about a $1000 difference. That, in my mind is very easily justified. But if you think the gear drive is suitable I would like to hear some input because I do not know a lot about them. Thanks

Tags
gravely , pro stance , small lots , stander , walk behind