Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Tiger problem...electrical

BRIGGS model 613177...when I engaged PTO mid afternoon clutch didn't engage. Loaded up and when I went to start to unload nothing. Checked infamous fuse blown. Still won't start with boster but did startwhen I jumped from tiger cub. I now assume voltage regulator but waiting battery to get charged so I can measure voltage. Is Iit same as kohler 22 ac on white wires and 13 dc on red?

Name:  20140616_172448.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  51.6 KB

This is $20 cheaper than ones that say OEM....am I correct this is no OEM?

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-16-17-39-50.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  65.0 KB
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok the ac from stator is 17.3v ac. I took the regulator out one of the female connectors on ac was burned. Bad connection. Formed the connector and cleaned and loaded with diaelectric tune up grease. After connecting plug I had 12.73v at battery. This might get me along until I can put parallel wires on that ac.

Driving like hell over bumpy terrain might cause this? Or getting water in it? By the way dust was over about 10% of the cooling fins on regulator.

How long will a fully charged battery last after regulator fails while mowing.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ed,

Was those voltage readings at idle or 3/4 to wide open speed ?

Burnt connectors are usually caused from moisture (water) causing rust/corrosion then a less than adequate connection.

A fully charged battery run'n a electric PTO will last in the neighborhood of 35/45 minutes before the PTO will shut off from lack of power, The engine however will continue to run for a while until you shut it down. But..... It may not start after doing so.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Ok the ac from stator is 17.3v ac. I took the regulator out one of the female connectors on ac was burned. Bad connection. Formed the connector and cleaned and loaded with diaelectric tune up grease...
That ain't enough AC volts. Depending on yer alternator, it should be putting out a MINIMUM of 20 VAC (for some)to 30 VAC (for others) @ 3600 rpm or so. The output needs to be checked at full throttle.

Should be around 13~14.5 DC at the reg. output/charging wire.
You can always bypass the connector/s and butt splice or solder the alt. to reg. wires,no?

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 06-17-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Ed,

Was those voltage readings at idle or 3/4 to wide open speed ?

Burnt connectors are usually caused from moisture (water) causing rust/corrosion then a less than adequate connection.

A fully charged battery run'n a electric PTO will last in the neighborhood of 35/45 minutes before the PTO will shut off from lack of power, The engine however will continue to run for a while until you shut it down. But..... It may not start after doing so.....
Thanks....at full throttle with pto on I read 13.6volts dc so I
Think I am okay. It took almost 24hrs to charge that battery so it was really dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
That ain't enough AC volts. Depending on yer alternator, it should be putting out a MINIMUM of 20 VAC (for some)to 30 VAC (for others) @ 3600 rpm or so. The output needs to be checked at full throttle.

Should be around 13~14.5 DC at the reg. output/charging wire.
You can always bypass the connector/s and butt splice or solder the alt. to reg. wires,no?
Thanks I am going get rid of that connector and replace the one remaing fuse holder that continues to cause problem. And I am going to peak at the amp gage once in a while.