Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2014, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Client Termination letter

I have a client that i want to drop ASAP. I would like to do it in a professional way if at all possible. The reason i want to drop her is because she seems to want to always try to get a free cutting by saying we do a bad job. I have 50 lawn maintenance accounts and i never had a client say i did a shity job or anything along those lines. This lady is older (70's) watches us when we mow through every window of her house. she comes out side to tell the guy trimming what to hit because he "missed a spot" when he didn';t even hit that area yet. Last Friday she says we missed a section of grass by her sidewalk witch i do every time. I took the tape measure out to show her the grass is all at the same height. I already gave her 1 free mowing from the first time she complained and i feel she is just trying to get the work done for free. I just want to be done with this client she stresses me out way more than the job is worth to me. The only problem i have by not just showing up next time is that i mow 6 other houses in the same subdivision. They are all about a block away from this client. What would you guys do? I am thinking the best way is to send a letter of termination. I just am unsure on how to word it.

"Keep it stupid simple"
Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
I have a client that i want to drop ASAP. I would like to do it in a professional way if at all possible. The reason i want to drop her is because she seems to want to always try to get a free cutting by saying we do a bad job. I have 50 lawn maintenance accounts and i never had a client say i did a shity job or anything along those lines. This lady is older (70's) watches us when we mow through every window of her house. she comes out side to tell the guy trimming what to hit because he "missed a spot" when he didn';t even hit that area yet. Last Friday she says we missed a section of grass by her sidewalk witch i do every time. I took the tape measure out to show her the grass is all at the same height. I already gave her 1 free mowing from the first time she complained and i feel she is just trying to get the work done for free. I just want to be done with this client she stresses me out way more than the job is worth to me. The only problem i have by not just showing up next time is that i mow 6 other houses in the same subdivision. They are all about a block away from this client. What would you guys do? I am thinking the best way is to send a letter of termination. I just am unsure on how to word it.
Just word it professionally, find a sample to work from online. Sounds like you do need to get rid of her, PITA. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i do for sure! everytime we mow her lawn she has something new to complain about.

"Keep it stupid simple"
Old 06-15-2014, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do contracts but when I get a customer that way, I tell them I will carry them for two more weeks or until they find a new company whichever happens first. I have yet to have a customer wait for two weeks, they seem to get the hint.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
yeah i do for sure! everytime we mow her lawn she has something new to complain about.
I sent one of these letters out to someone similar a few weeks ago. In a round about way said that with the steady list of complaints from her that I felt it would he best if we part ways. She was upset and wanted us to stay but I held my ground and gave her 2 weeks to find a new provider. I'm much happier now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I "had" a mother and daughter that lived side by side and the daughter started this well I don't know if il have the money to pay you this next cut but I need it cut. I explained ma'am if you can't pay me I can't work for you. Well she decided she could pay and then started this whole you missed this and that. Well the next day her mom started the same crap, they live next to one another. I serviced the yard one more time and both of them called me the same day maybe 15 minutes apart saying the same stuff again. You missed this and that. Well, I had pictures this time and sent them the pictures and explained that I am 100% positive that I did in fact cut and weed eat as contract stated all. They said they are going to buy a mower and handle it themselves. I was very very happy to hear it. They saved me the trouble of doing a letter..
Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Dont try to explain your reasons to them. Simply state that you regret to inform them that you will no longer be able to service their property after x date. Thank them for their business and include their final bill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea well said by RoyalTree, don't try explain your reason it is just an opportunity to get into a longer difficult discussion. Just keep it positive and thank them for their custom.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Client Termination letter

Dear....... Thank you for your business over the past year(s). Due to changes in my personal and professional life I will no longer be able to service your account. You will need to have another service provider by .....

Sincerely,

Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Its never personal. Its businesses.
Posted via Mobile Device