Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This has been a good discussion about various business models and methods.
But I don't understand why a couple participants need to say no one can survive in business without doing it their way, all the time addressing several of us who have been in business successfully for many years.

Summarizing all the comments I think that all of us in this discussion, who have been successful, have one thing in common, and it is not pricing. It's because we sell ourselves i.e. our expertise and our integrity.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jim,
Well this is all good dialogue, and I always appreciate a good debate and try to keep an open mind. When it comes to your manu of choice, however, you are preaching to the choir. I've had a solid relationship with them for the past 15 years and, with the exception of the very first trip, I have been on every incentive trip from the beginning. Maybe we have met? For what it's worth, I also carry the "Diamond Elite" Badge, and I'm a member of the President's Club (again, that and a dollar will get you a donut). I only wish I could start spitting prices though because I know what you pay within a few bucks if you are a large volume contractor. All I can say is that I'm having a hard time looking at these products from Volt and wondering why I haven't been giving my customers a choice by putting each of them in their hand and allowing them to choose..... even if I'm offering the same price for either system. They aren't an unknown company as I've been watching them from afar for several years now. And now that there are some top quality contractors providing great reviews, it might be time for me to take notice. Like I said, I'll do some dabbling and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
This has been a good discussion about various business models and methods.
But I don't understand why a couple participants need to say no one can survive in business without doing it their way, all the time addressing several of us who have been in business successfully for many years.

Summarizing all the comments I think that all of us in this discussion, who have been successful, have one thing in common, and it is not pricing. It's because we sell ourselves i.e. our expertise and our integrity.
Agreed. I hope you didn't feel I was saying that any any of my posts. I agree there are lots of different ways to do it. All I've been saying is that the Volt method of pricing at rock bottom prices and offering no discount to those in the trade doesn't work for me. Obviously, it does for others, though. Just doesn't work for me and the way we like to do business. And doesn't fly with some of our customers either, as we've been burned by that in the past - specifically with specifying Volt products. But others have obviously found workarounds for this that works for them. I have no problem with that.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Jim,
Well this is all good dialogue, and I always appreciate a good debate and try to keep an open mind. When it comes to your manu of choice, however, you are preaching to the choir. I've had a solid relationship with them for the past 15 years and, with the exception of the very first trip, I have been on every incentive trip from the beginning. Maybe we have met? For what it's worth, I also carry the "Diamond Elite" Badge, and I'm a member of the President's Club (again, that and a dollar will get you a donut).
Diamond Elite too. But have 3 more years to get to Pres. club. This year was our first trip. If you were at the Super Bowl party, we were the ones at the only table rooting for the Seahawks! The ones cheering while everyone else was bummed out.

Two nights after all the festivities were over we were sitting outside that little bar (Turtles?) having drinks and smoking stogies with a guy who was a distributor from the FLA area. BIG lighting only distributor. And there was another lighting installer with him - someone from the FL/GA area. Could have been you. We were talking about how people in the south really aren't friendly to people outside that area and these guys had some funny stories about run-ins with police, etc. going through Georgia, etc.

Did you go to Irish pub on Karaoke night? That was an amazing trip.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nope. Wasn't me I don't believe.... But I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. I tend to twitch around distributors while on vacation and make a pretty quick exit from anyone if the conversation turns to business while I'm on vacation. It would have been hard to miss me though.... most handsome as far as the eye could see... As far as Southerners not being nice: I'll certainly have to disagree with that one. As you have been shown within these discussions, I am the most laid back and approachable person you will ever meet..... Good luck on your quest over the next 3 years. They put on a good mid-summer round table in Cleveland for the Pres Club guys. I'll be there for it in August this year so let me know if you have any complaints or suggestions you'd like for me to take to the discussion. It's the contractor's opportunity to voice our opinion about their company, products and direction within the industry. Whether they listen or not is another debate.
Keep on bringing these opinions and discussions though. There is good info within these exchanges, regardless if they sometimes come across as rude or aggressive.

Cheers!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For the record, If anyone searches this thread, I have tried the mr-11 top dog and the LED mr-11 that volt sells with it. good solid fixture and good light output from a small form factor. heavy for it's size. good sealing. almost as bright as an mr-16, but good for dormers, and small trees.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info David!!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've installed several also- Great little fixture for tucking away. I was pleased with the LED MR11 as well. Great lumens and beam characteristics in a very compact form. Perfect level 2 gutter mount fixture or niche application. The adjustable shielding is a plus.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Well, since the fixtures I use say the name brand on them and have the stock number on them somewhere too that would be a little hard for me to make up my own brand and pricing and then deliver a pathway light that is stamped "Kichler 15810" underneath the cap. .
By the way, there is another sticker right next to the product number that says "Made in China." Nothing personal toward you, but I just thought I'd bring it up since we are talking about "stickers." To me, it's embarrassing.... especially because everyone knows that anything from China cost a buck and change. I don't see any stickers on these solid brass fixtures that I'm installing tomorrow. Nope, none at all. Maybe I'll make one to stick in there though. It will say "Proudly installed and maintained by ME!!"
Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well it really should have at least one sticker... that being one that says cULus or cETLus, or CSA, or MET, or TUV Listed. Cause if they don't have the appropriate electrical listing stickers, then you are putting all that you have worked for on the line. Proper electrical listings are not an option, doesn't matter who makes it or who installs it.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA