Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Multi Tool questions

Good morning!
I am an estate owner looking for quality outdoor power tools to help maintaining land.

I'm in need of a gas trimmer and noticed there are multi tools available from pretty much every manufacturer. Since you can combine different heads to one engine, it seems like the perfect solution for the multiple chores around.

However, there are a few worries I have regarding these tools:

- Some brands apparently have low quality attachments and/or the attachment itself is of low quality (i.e. prone to get looser overtime or from the get-go). How do the professionals feel regarding this matter?

- Dedicated tools should be better but buying *quality* dedicated tools might be over-the-top (and expensive!) for an amateur when compared to a quality multi tool and its (same-brand) attachments. Do you feel the same way?

Then I'd like some input on the eternal 2-stroke VS 4-stroke (yes, I've read plenty but can't make my mind up regarding these handheld products). Most of the brands are using 2-stroke engines which should offer more power/torque for the same displacement, though they're noisier and might have more wear over time (due to the lack of dedicated oil sump). Is this correct? Should I base my decision on the type of engine or should I just disregard it? (To be honest, I only know Honda to be using 4-stroke engines)

List of locally, readily available brands with service: Honda, Kawasaki, Husqvarna, Stihl, Hitachi.

Many thanks and best regards from Portugal,

maia
Old 06-20-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I would say sthil, echo, or Husqvarna. Sthil is the most money but also one of the highest quality systems. Echo is what I own and it's very nice as well and if your using it as a homeowner and not commercial it has a 5 year warranty. Husqvarna has a lot of good reviews and I was pretty close to buying it until I found a used echo pas266. I wouldn't get anything cheap when getting a trimmer with attachments or it will be underpowered using some of the attachments like the pole saw.

Tags
honda , husqvarna , kawasaki , multi tool , stihl