Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Pool Fountain Lighting

Hi All,

I am working on a quote for a customer and he is interested in the best lighting for his pool fountain. I have never done one of these and would like all suggestions on what looks best and what can be done within code. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Also if you have pictures that would be very helpful too.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know that the NEC changed the Code ruling on LV Lighting fixtures no closer than 10 feet from the Inside wall of the Pool , you would have to check with your local Electrical Inspector on that.

1-You will need a Pool/Spa rated Transformer for your 12 volt Fountain Lighting Fixtures.

2-Also if the water from the Pool circulates from the Pool to the Fountain back to the Pool then all Metal fixtures will have to be Bonded to the Pool Bonding Grid or back to the Grounding Lug on the Pool Pump Motor with a bare # 8 Solid Copper Conductor.

I hope this was some help.

Richie

Last edited by Richie@; 06-16-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would recommend that you light the entire area with projected light from above and the sides. This will help you get around the limitations on installing lighting in or near 'people water'. It appears that the water feature will flow into the pool, as such you really don't want to get involved with installing lighting on, under or near the coral waterfall. You could do a lovely job with some downlighting from the surrounding trees, as well as some uplighting and backlighting in the surrounding foliage. If you absolutely must install lighting onto the coral water fall, then look to using fiber optics so that your light generator is located safely away from the pool.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Sponsor

Tommy the Lighting Geek has a company he uses for fiber optics around pool applications. I forget the name of the co, but a search on Tommy would do the trick for the in water stuff. I agree with James on trying some lighting from afar. It may help to trim some of the foliage back so that if you do up light near the trunk of the palm you can get some light to project up from behind the feature and up the palm.
(813) 978-3700

LED Landscape Lighting
LED Outdoor Lighting
Low Voltage Transformers
Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would use fiber optic lighting. You can project onto it or drill and mount on it. I would not recommend drilling unless you have someone with experience guiding you.

IlluminFX has a great system that uses LED 12 volt illuminator so you can connect to LV landscape lighting system. It works perfectly for smaller water features like this one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank You so much for the information. Tommy would you happen to have a photo of a pool fountain that you have completed using the fiber optics? Both using the mounting on technique and the projecting on technique? How glaring and or distracting is it to have lights under the rock ledges when you are in the pool just relaxing? I thought I would call the fountain people to drill into it, if that is what the client wants.

There is plenty of structure in front of the pool to light from but, I forgot to measure out 10 feet from the pool edge in the back to see if there is any planting left to light. I am pretty sure the Royal Palm is closer than 10 feet.

Thank You all for your replies - your wisdom and knowledge are greatly appreciated.
Have A Great Day!!
Bobbi
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure fiber would be your answer. There is no where to mount the emitters on a waterfall like that. Really that fall nerds a downlight and call it a day. It might be made of some expensive rock but it has no style or taste. Fiber cable is black and will stick out like a sore thumb. I will agree with Tommy that you nerd some experience to properly drill falls. Also a 3/4"*36" sdsmax bit will run you about 500 dollars. You could always cheat and poke a bunch of holes through the sides but will look like crap and eventually shift and leak. Also be careful standing in the pool using a 15amp HILTI. Actually the more I think about it a fiber install is probably not in the cards for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are a few so you can see what the emitters look like installed
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi,

It would be nice when all is done that you can show us "before and after"

Good luck!

Eclairagepaysager.com

www.eclairagepaysager.com
info@eclairagepaysager.com
Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fiber could be cool, but would be tough to place on this one because it is so vertical with little to no set-back in the falls, so you will need a ton of fiber projectors (essentially every ledge to make it look even). For me, I think I would hang a few small MR8 or MR11 LEDs above the falls from the palm fronds and call it a day. An aluminum, hanging light will be light enough (weight wise) that it shouldn't cause those fronds to sag much at all like a brass light will. Overhang the falls and down light it. If you can up light any of the surrounding trees behind and beside the pool, it would help balance it out a nicely. The plantings could be thinned a bit like Alan suggested, so your light doesn't get sucked up completely in the foliage. Not sure on distance from the pool for those. I think the code may have changed, but check with your local EI to verify. Good Luck and thank for sharing

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com