Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The design is fine, in my opinion. Better than most. And Wordpress will help keep things in line in terms of stability/security, just make sure you keep the plugins updated.

There's a 404 error on "Bog Filtration."

Kudos on blogging, it's not easy to keep that up. Perfect industry for Instagram too. Cool pictures. Keep adding relevant content and the traffic will follow. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspira View Post
While the advice to put contact info front and center is good, came here to point out there is no fold in web design. It's an old print term from when newspapers had to put the stuff that sells papers where people could see it when stacked. We used to think it applied to websites, but many years of studies and analytics have proven that nearly everyone does indeed scroll down.
You are right, rather than focusing on "the fold", it's important to put the call to action in the right place. I fell for another marketing myth. From Kiss Metrics blog:

"And that is why the fold is a myth.

The issue isn’t whether the call to action is visible when your prospect first arrives. The issue is whether your call to action is visible at the point where your prospect has become convinced to take action"
Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h20 View Post
the domain name is not new, but the look of the site is. its been up for years and we just had it redone a few months ago.
You should install caching will load much faster since you will not be putting a large amount of updates in, I use it on my news site WP-Super Cache if your running wordpress if not you can CHMod the .htaccess file.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I have to say that this is news to me. Do you click the "Filter Bots" button or...?
Depends on what you use really the Cpanel stats are crap but will show you all the bot visits I use alexa certified statistics

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Depends on what you use really the Cpanel stats are crap but will show you all the bot visits I use alexa certified statistics
Why aren't you using webmaster?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Why aren't you using webmaster?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have many web sites and a server in Dallas not one for lawncare though I don't see the point to much hype over them and the online billing crap.

I use webmaster tools for google, bing etc. for SEO and Keywords they work perfectly fine no need for external SEO plugins they are overrated.

I have years of graphic, coding, web design, theme design, and server experience use to be a big hobby of mine.

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have many web sites and a server in Dallas not one for lawncare though I don't see the point to much hype over them and the online billing crap.

I use webmaster tools for google, bing etc. for SEO and Keywords they work perfectly fine no need for external SEO plugins they are overrated.

I have years of graphic, coding, web design, theme design, and server experience use to be a big hobby of mine.
Sounds like your experience is a bit outdated. Times change
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really my main site is close to the ranking of this website in the world lol.

I just could care less about a lawn website man have no use for it.

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Old 06-20-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Since the update to Google's Universal analytics, there's really no reason to use any other platform. Forget their out-of-the-box page views, now you can send custom category/event pairs and get as fine-grained as you'd like. You should give GA a shot again - they've come a long way. Especially if you have some coding experience like you mentioned.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
You told him to look in Analytics and then he'd see that his traffic is probably bots. I simply asked you to explain how he does that. CPanel stats was not in the discussion.

Remember, this is a web forum for LCOs. Giving a quick answer, with no "how to" (especially when it's wrong to begin with), is not very useful. This is especially true with Analytics.
Posted via Mobile Device