Register free!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Stump Grinder

Fellas,

I am slowly growing and I know I have some customers who would be interested in some work that I could do if I had this grinder, I know little about them but can repair most everything myself, esp a Honda engine. BUT is this a good/fair/bad deal for the amount of hours? What would I look for/inspect?

Plus I could use something new to make my wife dislike me more this week.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4931929876.html

Its getting warmer…. I can feel it...

Eric
Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think those little homeowner models are worth it, unfortunately by the time you get into the ones that will do the job you're up to 5-8 thousand dollars for a decent "self-propelled walk behind" unit but there's more of a problem yet...
Stumps are easy work, and you're not the only one to know that.

The first one standing in line is always the tree guy, like it or not they get first dibs at that stump... So guess what kind of work comes our way, usually the stumps they didn't want to do for all the usual reasons. I mean stumps are so cake that some tree guys will throw the stump in for free or dirt cheap if only the customer will take their quote on taking down the tree.

And scaring up enough work to justify the cost, man...
It's a whole another business in itself but stump grinding alone won't cut it, that's a lot like buying only the lawn mower.
We paid $2500 for one that's sat at the end of my driveway for the last 3-4 years.
I've been meaning to take it down to the steel recyclers but can't bring myself to do it.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Biggest two questions are:

What size stumps are you trying to remove?

Can you pay for it (or most of It) with the jobs you already have in mind?

From what I've seen these size grinders are more for those nuisance stumps from small caliper trees or large shrubs. If you want to do a 24"-36"+ trunk you'll need a bigger grinder.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

A stump grinder was the first piece of equipment that my son purchased for his business about 8 years ago, it is a Carlton 2500, 25 hp. Paid $6000+, used. He was still in HS at the time so it took him a couple of years to earn the money back. I can't imagine doing any kind of stump larger than 4" with a machine smaller than his. Time is the key. Maintenance is high, especially the cutters which are a high wear item. Belts and bearings are pricey, fortunately he is able to to do all of that work himself. He was able to find landscapers that did tree work but not stump removal for business. He is to the point now, that every time he rolls it out he is making $. Stump grinding is a small part of his range of services it usually pays well.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info fellas, I had in mind the nuisance stumps from small trees (4"-10" diameter) and shrubs of appx same size. I figured this might be a good "add on" to ripping old ones out, etc. I know the time is key and thought a bigger one while more $ may not be the best tool in the shed.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

That Toro grinder is a decent machine, you can reasonably do 8" to 10" stumps efficiently but its best for 4"-6" stumps. You wont make a living off of that machine, or open a stump grinding business with it.

I just sold an older 90's Praxis one and I got $1,200 for it, Praxis was bought by toro & mine was much older than the one your looking at. I repainted it and lettered it as a Vermeer so that it looked in place with my larger sc252 machine. I had bought it to get to hard to reach stumps, but just didn't have enough demand to keep it around.

I'm no expert at stump grinding, I just started doing it this January but I thought it could be extra income in the winter months & picked up a used rental machine at a good price. You can charge about $2-3 an inch ( see pic below for how to measure ). These machines will make short work of fresh cut shrub stumps and roots.

If you do a lot of landscaping makeovers this machine can come in handy & be a money maker. If you are looking to just grind stumps at houses you mow, you may be better off just renting the same machine at a local rental house for $150ish a day. Hope that helps!
Attached Images